Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Police Search for Arsonists in Florida Wildfires That Have Scorched 100 Homes

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,355019,00.html

Investigators are searching for one or more arsonists who apparently started a string of fires around a city on Florida's Atlantic coast, destroying or damaging about 100 homes, a police chief said Tuesday.
    Palm Bay police were working with the state fire marshall's office and Brevard County Fire Rescue to investigate who set an estimated nine fires that spread into a larger, uncontrollable blaze.
    "Some are caused by embers that are flying, but the locations of the fires indicated that these were initiated separately, which makes us firmly believe that an individual or individuals was involved in setting those," Palm Bay Police Chief Bill Berger said.
    A witness saw someone in a car drop something into an open field Monday, and a fire started shortly afterward, an arson investigator said.
    Orlando Dominguez, Brevard County Fire Department PIO, said during a press conference Tuesday that while the fires appear suspicious, the primary focus today is to contain the fire.
    "It is quite suspicious because there have been no lightening strikes in the past few days, but that doesn't mean fire was intentionally set," Dominguez said. "It could be dry conditions or a cigarette out a window. Right now our primary focus is containing the fire, and then our focus will be on what started the fire."

"We do not like losing homes," Dominguez went on to say. "We take that personally."
    Officials are offering a $10,000 reward for information about the fires, or how they were started, the Orlando Sentinel reported.
    Firefighters in Brevard County were trying for the third day to contain the fires that have scorched about 3,800 acres, or 6 square miles, in Palm Bay and neighboring Malabar.
    Though the high winds fueling the flames Monday had slowed significantly, officials worried about overnight flare-ups and the flames spreading quickly in the dry conditions.
    "We desperately need rain," said Palm Bay Fire Marshal Mike Couture. "We don't have any, and we're not projected to get any anytime soon."
    All 18 schools in Palm Bay, including charter schools, were closed Tuesday. Smoke and the proximity of the flames have caused the intermittent closure of major highways in the area, including a 34-mile section of Interstate 95 south of the fires that was closed again midmorning Tuesday.
    "Flames are coming onto the interstate," Trooper Kim Miller said.
    The worst fires raged uncontrolled in Malabar, while officials said they had "a majority" of the Palm Bay fires contained.
    Neighborhoods built into dense woods were surrounded by ashes, twisted limbs and charred, slender tree trunks where the fires raged through. Many homes, however, were able to be saved.
    Angel Pagan, a 35-year-old salesman, watched Tuesday as firefighters hosed down the smoldering woods surrounding his home. A night earlier, he neighbors used garden hoses and buckets of water to douse the flames. Pagan sent his wife and their young sons, ages 1 year old and 1 month old, to stay with a relative.
    "I cannot believe it my house was surrounded, and my house did not go up," Pagan said. "It's pure luck, and God."
    Across the street, a stucco home was charred and crumbling. On it was duct-taped a bright red note from the building inspector: Totaled.
    "We saved a lot of them. The fire department got here and their house was already on fire," Pagan said, gesturing across the street.
    A few miles away, Barry Self, an off-duty Palm Bay police officer, was shoveling dirt over still-smoldering patches of woods across the street from his home. He and two neighbors also used garden hoses late into the night to ward off the fire as it skipped across their yards. Self lost his backyard fence and was without electricity Tuesday afternoon, but he said he considers himself fortunate.
    "It looks like a little war zone," Self said of the area. "And we're lucky compared to a lot of people. I'm very lucky. I drove around this morning and saw a bunch of houses just totaled to the ground. It's unbelievable, it really is."
    Gov. Charlie Crist is expected to tour the area where he has declared a state of emergency. Federal officials Tuesday authorized funding to reimburse the state's firefighting costs in Brevard County.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    It is like a freakin' tinderbox here.

I hope they find the person who started this...it's just getting crazy down here. Lord help the person in front of me that throws a cigarette out the window of their car....new meaning to the words "personal service"
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Well I hope they catch em before i get down there
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

Thread Information