Welcome to the APBWeb.
    213th is offline Solipsist

911 operator fired after cursing

NASHVILLE, Tenn. A Nashville 911 operator has been fired after he was recorded saying that he didn't "give a s---" about what happened to a woman who had just called to report her ex-boyfriend was threatening her.
    Emergency Communications Center spokeswoman Amanda Sluss said Wednesday that Frank Roth was in training during the February incident and was fired a month later.
    Roth made the comments after promising police would arrive soon for a woman who called saying her ex-boyfriend held her at knifepoint and later was threatening her.
    After hanging up with her but while still being recorded, he said, "I really don't give a s--- what happens to you."
    Sluss said incident is not reflective of how 911 operators treat callers and that "a series of errors" led to the three-hour delay in response to the emergency call.
    "Certainly this particular caller didn't receive the service she deserved," Sluss said. "This is not indicative of how our employees treat citizens. It's not something that should have been said. It's not what we train our employees to do."
    Nashville TV station WTVF first reported the story after one of its reporters obtained the 911 recording.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Looks like someone could have done with a Verbal Judo class. Remedial training and some time off would be in order, but sending someone packing was a little much- unless they were still on probation.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Click release, then cuss!

We have an infamous tape of a calltaker ripping on an RP when they thought their mute button was on....it was defective.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    The comment was made after hanging up, (according to the article) if the person was not one the line there is no problem. What the hell is the issue, lots of people say shit under their breath, and ultimately that was not said to the person, and it was there opinion, as long as they did they job by dispatching an officer ect. what is the big deal. We are all bias to some degree but as long as we do what we are suppose to do, WHO CARES!
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Sluss said incident is not reflective of how 911 operators treat callers and that "a series of errors" led to the three-hour delay in response to the emergency call.
    I think the main issue here is probably the 3 hour delay in response. The comment adds insult to injury. No telling if the dispatcher did anything else that caused the delay.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing without more info but the dispatcher was probably a sacrificial lamb.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Looks like someone could have done with a Verbal Judo class. Remedial training and some time off would be in order, but sending someone packing was a little much- unless they were still on probation.
    Well, the article said they were still in training, which I'd think would mean still in the probationary period. So maybe he just proved that he didn't have the right mindset for the job?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoestring View Post
    The comment was made after hanging up, (according to the article) if the person was not one the line there is no problem. What the hell is the issue, lots of people say shit under their breath, and ultimately that was not said to the person, and it was there opinion, as long as they did they job by dispatching an officer ect. what is the big deal. We are all bias to some degree but as long as we do what we are suppose to do, WHO CARES!
    Unfortunately, it's a reflection of many Comm Center managers. Just like you guys in the field have "liability" issues, we have ours. They are thinking of lawsuits, and covering their asses.

All of our CAD messages are audited, not only to make sure we aren't flirting with deputies, but to make sure we don't make any remarks that may come back and bite us in court. Phone tapes and CAD messages are all subject to subpoena.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Well, the article said they were still in training, which I'd think would mean still in the probationary period. So maybe he just proved that he didn't have the right mindset for the job?
    What? You expect me to read the whole story before forumlating an opinion? What kind of cop do you think I am?
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    ROFL Rhino!!
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    I still think this is bullshit (for the trainee) more than anything. Come one, you know damn well they are hanging them out to dry to cover their ass. If they were to make the comment to the person, sure fine, I would not have a problem, but the call was ended. I should be fired 100 times over for the thoughts in my head after leaving a call if that is the case. I think there is a witch hunt going on............................ ................. assholes
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Thread Information