Welcome to the APBWeb.
    213th is offline Solipsist

Wis man goes on gas strike

SHEBOYGAN, Wis. Brian LaFave couldn't care less how high gasoline prices climb these days _ he's parked his pickup truck and is refusing to buy gas for a month, possibly longer.
    "The goal is to not use one drop of gas for 31 days," LaFave said, calling it his personal stand against the oil companies.
    Now LaFave, 31, is riding his bicycle or walking everywhere he goes. He won't even let friends pick him up unless they already planned on being in the neighborhood.
    "If they're not going out of their way, I can take the ride," he said. "But if they're going out of their way, then ... I'm still consuming gasoline so it kind of defeats the purpose."
    LaFave started the effort May 11. He bikes to his third-shift job at Aldrich Chemical in Sheboygan Falls, a 9-mile commute.
    "I did like a practice run ... two days in a row to make sure I could do it," he said. "I'm not in the greatest shape. The mornings are the worst. It feels like it takes forever. I get like a mile down the road and I want to die."
    It's a big change for someone who put 300 miles on his truck the week before he stopped driving it.

LaFave fills out a chart each day listing how many miles he bikes, the destination and the gas price that day, among other things. He plans to compute his savings and donate that amount to a charity that provides food to children in Africa.
    "I think just with the gas prices being so high, everybody complains about it but no one ever really does anything about it," LaFave said. "People continue to drive nonstop and not think about it, but I just wanted to take a stand and say, `I'm not gonna pay this much money for gas.'"
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Idiot. I'll bet his pension or retirement has stock in oil companies he's so mad at. Try protesting OPEC who won't increase production to match the increased world wide demand for oil. Or try protesting the government which gets more money from each gallon of gas than the oil companies.

Also he's an idiot. Riding in a car increases the weight which decreases the fuel effeciency so he's still consuming gas.

Did I call him an idiot yet?

Idiot.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Hannah87 is offline Giggidy... Giggidy..
    Verified LEO

whatever floats his boat i guess.
    May you rest in peace Daddy and may you never hurt again. I love you and miss you and can't wait to see you again.

12/12/44- 2/26/09

213th is offline Solipsist
    I've considered doing this this year myself, not however for news media attention or anything like that. I just like the two-fold benefits, less gas used, better fitness. I just need to inflate the tires on my bike. And wait for the spring rains to end. It'd kinda suck to be caught in one of those downpours when it's 40 degrees outside. Specially since I wouldn't have a spare uni to change into. But, I agree this guy is an idiot. Does he really think that one person is going to put a dent in the profits of oil companies, or anyone? He drives a truck, 300 miles a week, so 1200 a month. It's a truck, lets go with 10 mpg, that's 120 gallons a month. Times 3.75 for a rough figure of 450$ a month. Yeah...not gonna make much of a difference.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    "The goal is to not use one drop of gas for 31 days," LaFave said, calling it his personal stand against the oil companies.
    THE EVIL OIL COMPANIES MUST DIE!

The fact that other countries are grabbing oil and the producing nations aren't shipping more has nothing to do with it.

The fact that all of the NIMBYs have blocked more refineries and because some of them are down for maintenance, there aren't enough to produce what we use has nothing to do with it.

It's them there evil oil moguls.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Idiot. I'll bet his pension or retirement has stock in oil companies he's so mad at. Try protesting OPEC who won't increase production to match the increased world wide demand for oil. Or try protesting the government which gets more money from each gallon of gas than the oil companies.

Also he's an idiot. Riding in a car increases the weight which decreases the fuel effeciency so he's still consuming gas.

Did I call him an idiot yet?

Idiot.
    Maybe he moved to Wisconsin from Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Iowa
    Idiot out wandering around

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by CT209 View Post
    The fact that all of the NIMBYs have blocked more refineries and because some of them are down for maintenance, there aren't enough to produce what we use has nothing to do with it.
    Amen - Our town is the worst - The current NIMBY movement is to oust the gas companies drilling 1,000 - 2,000 feet UNDER neighborhoods agreeing to accept royalty paments, and a tenth of a mile from the nearest home - "That's too dangerous" they say, despite the fact that the only people with drill pipe under their houses are people who signed royalty agreements.

I like to point out in local blogs that these idiots already have natural gas being piped into their homes, and there's NEVER been a gas well explosion in Texas that harmed residents, and only two since 2000 that even killed any gasfield workers - All the residential gas explosions have been caused by leaky heaters, construction accidents, stoves left on, and the like, not a well 500 feet away or a drill pipe a half-mile under the ground.

But that doesn't silence the NIMBY'ers. Never let it be said that logic stands in the way of fear - I'm sure if we built a refinery within a 100 mile radius, there would be marching and rioting in the streets.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Verified LEO
    I forget where I read it, but some poster suggested that a refinery be built in each state. His thoughts was that you get no gas or oill unless you host the plant that produces it. I know it probably wouldn't work, but it does make sense.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I forget where I read it, but some poster suggested that a refinery be built in each state. His thoughts was that you get no gas or oill unless you host the plant that produces it. I know it probably wouldn't work, but it does make sense.
    The logistics of that would be impossible. You need refineries near where the oil gets off loaded from the ships.

Right now we have refineries mostly on the coast near where the oil comes from. Shell, Mobil, etc each off load a certain amount of oil into the refineries and produce gasoline, kerosene, diesel etc. There's only one set of pipelines. Each company puts x number of gallons in the pipeline and get credit. At the other end they can withdraw the number they put in. All the gas is the same. The gas they got refined and put in isn't the same gass they withdraw at the other end. They'll then put in the additives and put it in gas stations for us.

To put a refinery in each state means we need a new pipeline system for just oil, to go from the coast.

We can add refineries close to where we already have them. We can also remodel to update the existing ones.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    The logistics of that would be impossible. You need refineries near where the oil gets off loaded from the ships.

To put a refinery in each state means we need a new pipeline system for just oil, to go from the coast.
    Yeah, I know. that's why I said it probably wouldn't work.

But, I have a dream...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Yeah, I know. that's why I said it probably wouldn't work.

But, I have a dream...
    Let's force the government to invest all gas taxes into oil infrastructure upgrades!

I have a dream too.

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    A good idea. Yes, it seems like a media stunt, but like 213 said, he'll save money AND get in better shape.
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

zpd307 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    450 bucks a month is a decent amount of ching. he isnt making a difference to the oil companies, but he is keeping more money in his wallet. too bad he wants to donate it to some people in africa. thats the stupid part. if he wants to give money to those across seas, he might as well keep driving. i am sure his local red cross chapter could use the money, and keep it local.
    MANNNNN.... YOU MUST BE FAST, BECAUSE I WAS HAULIN ASS WHEN I PASSED YOU!

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    I have to say that on the island, I feel like I have done my part without a car and only using my bicycle to get around. The island is also small enough and safe enough to do that too.. not sure I would feel very comfy many other places
    Though Paul has his car and drives around enough for the two of us I guess lol
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

op246 is offline Officer First Class
    I think he is doing a good thing in riding his bike. It saves some cash and gets you in shape. I agree there are many local charities that could put the money to good use locally.

Thread Information