Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: One Lucky Cop

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO

One Lucky Cop

Teen is charged with trying to shoot Chicago cop with gun that misfired

Harold Butler, 18, is held on one count of attempted first-degree murder of a police officer and unlawful use of a weapon

By Robert Mitchum | Tribune reporter 10:00 PM CDT, May 18, 2008 An Englewood teen who allegedly tried to shoot a police officer after fleeing a traffic stop late Saturday was held on $375,000 bail Sunday.

Harold Butler, 18, of the 6500 block of South Peoria Street appeared before Cook County Circuit Judge Maura Slattery Boyle on Sunday afternoon, charged with one count each of attempted first-degree murder of a police officer and unlawful use of a weapon.

Police stopped a car around 11 p.m. Saturday in the 5200 block of West Ohio Street after observing the vehicle had a burned-out headlight, said Assistant State's Atty. Suzi Collins.

When police pulled up behind the car, Butler fled, ignoring the officers' orders to stop, Collins said. While an officer was in pursuit, she said, Butler pulled out a handgun and attempted to fire the weapon at him, but it misfired.
    Butler allegedly attempted to fix the gun and fire again at the officer but was apprehended first. The officer stated that he never drew his weapon, Collins said.

The teen later gave a handwritten statement to police saying he fled because he had been "dirty," Collins said, meaning he was in possession of an illegal firearm. Butler also told police in the statement that he knew he was firing at a police officer and that the gun had never jammed before.

"He believed when he pulled the trigger that the gun would discharge," Collins said. "He attempted to shoot an unarmed person that he knew to be a police officer."

Butler has no adult felony convictions, Collins said, but was convicted three times as a juvenile for possession of a controlled substance. Court records show that Butler was acquitted on adult felony charges of attempted first-degree murder and aggravated battery with a firearm in April.

Butler is employed as a luggage handler at Midway Airport and takes courses at Jobs for Youth, a Chicago career development program, his public defender said
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    Fry his ass!!!!
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    In this situation, I would actually prefer the offender spend the rest of his life in prison with no possibility of parole.

Then I would suggest that every few months, the police officer/victim take a picture of him doing something on the outside that the convict may miss. Eating a delicious hamburger, hanging out in a strip club, drinking, partying, etc. And mail that picture to the offender with two words written accross the bottom of the picture: Still Alive.

Then again, I'd be happy if the maggot was shot in the back of the head regardless.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    ""He attempted to shoot an unarmed person that he knew to be a police officer."

Chicago Po-po are UNARMED? WTF is up with that?

(That should make Jesse Jackass happy.)

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I was just wondering the same thing.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I love how when they are the bad guy, they are "teens."

When they are the good guy, they are "young men."
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    You know I noticed something. I started lookng for this whenever I see an article about an officer-involved shooting.

Whenever the bad guy is shot by the cops, they are called a "victim". But in this article I can't find the word "victim" one single time.

The media makes me sick.

Dear Chicago Tribune:

Sincerely,
    Rhino (with help from Peter Griffin)
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    +1

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Thread Information