Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Brain-Damaged Boy's Family Sues Bat Maker

Brain-Damaged Boy's Family Sues Bat Maker
    WAYNE, N.J., May 19, 2008(AP) The family of a boy who suffered brain damage after he was struck by a line drive off an aluminum baseball bat sued the bat's maker and others on Monday, saying they should have known it was dangerous.

The family of Steven Domalewski, who was 12 when he was struck by the ball in 2006, filed the lawsuit in state Superior Court. It names Hillerich & Bradsby Co., maker of the 31-inch, 19-ounce Louisville Slugger TPX Platinum bat used when Steven was hit.

The lawsuit also names Little League Baseball and Sports Authority, which sold the bat. It claims the defendants knew, or should have known, that the bat was dangerous for children to use, according to the family's attorney, Ernest Fronzuto.

"People who have children in youth sports are excited about the lawsuit from a public policy standpoint because they hope it can make the sport safer," Fronzuto said after filing the suit Monday morning. "There are also those who are skeptical of the lawsuit and don't see the connection between Steven's injury and the aluminum bat."

Little League denies any wrongdoing, as does the bat manufacturer. Sports Authority has not responded to several telephone messages seeking comment.

Steven was pitching in a Police Athletic League game when he was hit just above the heart by a line drive. His heart stopped beating and his brain was deprived of oxygen for 15 to 20 minutes, according to his doctors.

Although he was not playing in a Little League game, the organization is being sued because it gave its seal of approval to the bat, certifying it as safe for use by children, Fronzuto said.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I know it is a terrible thing for the child and the family to have suffered and continue to suffer and will for the rest of his life, but, come on. Why are these people to blame for an accident. That is why they are called accidents. Bad things happen to nice people. So if he was using a wooden bat and was injured would they then be sueing saying it wasn't safe either.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The grief and desire to exact revenge for it know no bounds for a parent who has lost their child, is my guess.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    Or the possibility of a huge settlement. Poor kid though.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by mack View Post
    I know it is a terrible thing for the child and the family to have suffered and continue to suffer and will for the rest of his life, but, come on. Why are these people to blame for an accident. That is why they are called accidents. Bad things happen to nice people. So if he was using a wooden bat and was injured would they then be sueing saying it wasn't safe either.
    Agreed, 100%. While the event itself is tragic, and about as tragic as it gets, to be blunt....bad things happen to good people sometimes, and NOBODY is at fault.

If the companies are held liable here, perhaps the parents should be charged with negligence for putting their child in that situation? (no, I'm not completely serious)....
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    The family of a boy who suffered brain damage after he was struck by a line drive off an aluminum baseball bat sued the bat's maker and others on Monday, saying they should have known it was dangerous.
    So the parents had no idea a metal bat was dangerous?

They're looking for a check. I hope it goes to trial. When is this country going to stop kowtowing to the letigeous and adopt a "loser pays" civil system?

Loser pays: Whoever loses the case pays for the other side's time and attorney fees. It would cut a lot of this bullshit out.

Who wants to be there's a slimey ponytail lawyer behind this family telling them they can get all kinds of money.

If they win it will set a whole new legal precident. Next accident I get involved in I'll sue the car maker on the grounds "I didn't know cars were dangerous."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    So the parents had no idea a metal bat was dangerous?

They're looking for a check. I hope it goes to trial. When is this country going to stop kowtowing to the letigeous and adopt a "loser pays" civil system?

Loser pays: Whoever loses the case pays for the other side's time and attorney fees. It would cut a lot of this bullshit out.

Who wants to be there's a slimey ponytail lawyer behind this family telling them they can get all kinds of money.

If they win it will set a whole new legal precident. Next accident I get involved in I'll sue the car maker on the grounds "I didn't know cars were dangerous."

Exactly, the point, where does it end. Why is someone else always at fault. Why does there always have to be blame placed somewhere. When I was a kid, one of my friends got hit in the eye by another friend with a golf club, split his eyebrow like a melon. We were playing, it wasn't intentional. Did the parents sue each other? No each of us got our butts beat for playing with the golf clubs in the first place. No fault was placed, it was an accident. Now I know this is a far worse injury, but the premice is the same.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mack View Post
    Exactly, the point, where does it end. Why is someone else always at fault. Why does there always have to be blame placed somewhere. When I was a kid, one of my friends got hit in the eye by another friend with a golf club, split his eyebrow like a melon. We were playing, it wasn't intentional. Did the parents sue each other? No each of us got our butts beat for playing with the golf clubs in the first place. No fault was placed, it was an accident. Now I know this is a far worse injury, but the premice is the same.

Unfortunately that's the way people are now days. It's rare to find people to step up and take responsibility for their own actions. They'd rather keep their pride and reputation and put the blame somewhere else.

This case while tragic, is merely a sports accident. People get hurt when they're active. While I'm all for protecting our little ones but I think more times than not people want to put them in a bubble or put them up on a shelf until they're 18.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Besides how bad this is for the kid and the parents, the thought "Why not sue the ball mfg?". Seems like it is as much as fault as the bat.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    Besides how bad this is for the kid and the parents, the thought "Why not sue the ball mfg?". Seems like it is as much as fault as the bat.

+1, and while they're at it they can sue the following.

1.) The inventor of the game's estate
    2.) The weather man for predicting a nice day to play ball
    3.) The umpires for not stopping the game before the critical hit was made
    4.) The concession stand people for providing food to keep fans there
    5.) Fans for cheering on the game
    6.) Coaches for teaching the kid how to hit
    7.) The organization the built the field to play ball
    8.) The manufacturer of the excavating equipment used to build the diamond

etc etc etc etc
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Welcome to the era of "My kid is an angel and fragile and therefore must be treated as such." I can't stand it when people think there is a corporation or two involved, they think they can go for the big bucks. Isn't that what insurance is for? All this does is drive up the price of everything else so much that we can hardly afford things anymore, let alone the economy. The corporations have to get the money from somewhere to pay their insurance premiums and lawyers (ambulance chasers).

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    +1, and while they're at it they can sue the following.

1.) The inventor of the game's estate
    2.) The weather man for predicting a nice day to play ball
    3.) The umpires for not stopping the game before the critical hit was made
    4.) The concession stand people for providing food to keep fans there
    5.) Fans for cheering on the game
    6.) Coaches for teaching the kid how to hit
    7.) The organization the built the field to play ball
    8.) The manufacturer of the excavating equipment used to build the diamond

etc etc etc etc
    Next thing you know they will try and sue God for allowing the grass to grow and the air that we breathe.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Got a question, 'cause my wife actually had a good point when she heard this on the news.

Does a ball really come off of an aluminum bat harder than a wooden bat?

'Cause you can get hit with a line drive off of either one... Or will we soon see the advent of "safe" baseball, where everyone uses imaginary bats and balls, and carefully walks to the bases. Sliding will only be permitted after a slip and slide (ending in a foam pit) is laid out.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Another article I read on this stated that the injury in question is actually more commonly seen when the ball is pitched instead of batted. It doesn't take a lot to knock a heart into arrhythmia. I agree, these people are looking for a check.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Yes, a baseball comes off an aluminum bad faster than a wooden bat. However, if you park next to a baseball field you assume the risk of parking there. Same legal premise should apply here. They [the family] assumed the risk of exposing their child to the game and all the inherent risk associated therefore. DE DA DEEH if your kid plays baseball a baseball might just hit them. Duh

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    The family of a boy who suffered brain damage after he was struck by a line drive off an aluminum baseball bat sued the bat's maker and others on Monday, saying they should have known it was dangerous.
    The parents should have known playing baseball was dangerous.

As a parent this is one of my worst fears, and it has to be horrifying. But suing everyone when you let your kid play a sport with some risk involves responsibility on your part too.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Growler is offline I is not happy
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    The parents should have known playing baseball was dangerous.

As a parent this is one of my worst fears, and it has to be horrifying. But suing everyone when you let your kid play a sport with some risk involves responsibility on your part too.

I agree. Any sport, even if the kid's slip says it's a non contact sport is a contact sport.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Growler View Post
    I agree. Any sport, even if the kid's slip says it's a non contact sport is a contact sport.
    Wait... you mean the real world includes bumps, bruises and occasional chances of injury?!

We can't have that happening to kids.

Wrap in 3 inch deep layers of bubble wrap, inside a sterile bubble/hamster ball (gyroscopically stabilized of course).
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    Next thing you know they will try and sue God for allowing the grass to grow and the air that we breathe.
    Pretty much been done.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1576068.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,297121,00.html

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/20....ap/index.html
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    It doesn't seem that anyone has been successful at it, though.

Not a LEO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information