Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Rising Gas Prices Forcing Some Cops Out of Cars, Onto Feet

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,357407,00.html

NEWBERRY, S.C. With gasoline climbing toward $4 a gallon, police officers around the country are losing the right to take their patrol cars home and are being forced to double up in cruisers and walk the beat more.
    The gas crunch could also put an end to the time-honored way cops leave their engines running when they get out to investigate something.
    Some police chiefs think the moneysaving measures are not all bad, and might actually help them do a better job. But they worry about the loss of take-home cars, saying the sight of a cruiser parked in a driveway or out in front of a home deters neighborhood crime.
    In Newberry, population 10,000, Chief Jackie Swindler is telling his officers to turn off the ignition whenever they are stopped for more than a minute or so, and to get out and walk around more.
    "It's not a rolling office that you stay in all day," Swindler said. "You still need to get out and interact with the public."
    Jonathan Taylor, a rookie officer in Newberry, said walking the beat in the region's oppressive summer heat may be a drag, but he added: "We're police officers. It's not supposed to be a comfortable job. If getting out and walking helps me do the best job I can, I'm all for it."

In Grainger County, Tenn., Sheriff James Harville planned for gas prices of $2.22 a gallon when he drew up his budget last year. He has since redrawn the patrol map for the two officers who work each shift, splitting his county in half. He now puts one officer in each half and makes them responsible for all calls in their area.
    "That way, unless it's just a life-threatening call, I don't have officers just crisscrossing the county," said Harville, who has asked local officials for an extra $30,000 to keep patrol cars running in the county of 22,000 in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains.
    When shifts overlap in Apple Valley, Minn., officers pair up and supervisors send those cruisers to domestic disputes, burglar alarms and other calls that would usually require two officers to respond separately, said Capt. Jon Rechtzigel. Officers also have been asked to turn off their engines whenever possible.
    "Years ago, you used to pull in a back lot to investigate something and keep your car running," Rechtzigel said. "You just can't afford to do that anymore."
    In the South Carolina town of Elgin, Police Chief Harold Brown delayed hiring a sixth officer so he could use the money for gas. "I guess you could say rising gas prices have cost me a man," said Brown, who found enough money in his budget to bring the new officer on board a few weeks ago.
    The Georgia State Patrol has asked troopers to reduce the amount of time spent driving by 25 percent.
    In Evansville, Ind., some officers will lose their take-home cars and others will have to pay more for the privilege. Starting Friday, those living within city limits will pay $25 every two weeks and those in the surrounding county will pay $35. Both groups previously paid $10. Eleven workers living outside the county will no longer get take-home police cars.
    Proposals to restrict the use of take-home police cars also are on the table in Camden, Del., Avon Park, Fla., and Hagerstown, Md.
    "I don't think we should be taking our city cruisers outside of our city," said Hagerstown City Councilwoman Kelly S. Cromer. "With the price of gas right now, I just really think that's a waste."
    In Allegany County, Md., Sheriff David Goad told elected officials seeking to limit his department's use of take-home vehicles that "it's a proven fact" that the sight of a patrol car on the road or in a driveway deters crime.
    As the fiscal year comes to an end, chiefs and sheriffs are trying to predict how high gas prices will go and craft budgets that won't be blown.
    "It's a shot in the dark," Swindler said. "You just have to take your best guess."
    Swindler, who joined the force as a patrol officer in 1975 back when "only people with rank had a car" said the return to old-fashioned police work could be a good thing in some ways, by bringing officers in closer contact with the public.
    The chief is doing his part by riding the department's Segway electric scooter during festivals and other events, and is looking to buy smaller, lighter cruisers.
    Newberry officers don't seem to mind. Sgt. Andy Rowe said he has heard no complaints from the officers he oversees as a shift supervisor and doesn't mind walking a little himself.
    "I enjoy getting out and interacting with everybody," Rowe said.

How about anyone here? Have any of your departments changed the way you're doing your job?

Oddly enough I remember when it hit $3 a gallon we were told to make sure engines were off if stationary and try to do as much as possible to save gas. Now that we're 3.99 there's been nothing from the admin. Of course we're all making sure engines aren't running unless needed, but no special directives.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

TXPO710 is offline Dumb ole' Cowboy
    Verified LEO
    Return the horse patrol!! I hate walking and foot chases wouldn't be so bad.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by TXPO710 View Post
    Return the horse patrol!! I hate walking and foot chases wouldn't be so bad.
    We've got mounted patrol here, and I wouldn't be surprised if they increased the numbers. There was a report recently where one farmer has gone back to mule plowing, because it's cheaper. It takes a bit longer, but where a farmer might not have money, he may have a bit of extra time. I can't say I blame them.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    That would be TOTALLY kick ass if we could partner up in cars. It would definitely save on gas, plus you wouldn't have the problem of unit 1 showing up at a hot call and unit 2 still trying to get there (or the problem we've had before of unit 1 showing up and unit 2 either taking his sweet-ass time or getting lost...or just saying that he/she is on scene but really isn't). I think our shift would be a lot more productive, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    That would be TOTALLY kick ass if we could partner up in cars. It would definitely save on gas, plus you wouldn't have the problem of unit 1 showing up at a hot call and unit 2 still trying to get there (or the problem we've had before of unit 1 showing up and unit 2 either taking his sweet-ass time or getting lost...or just saying that he/she is on scene but really isn't). I think our shift would be a lot more productive, as well.
    And you could provide the basis for "buddy cop" movies!

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    It is safer but I personally can't stand riding two to a car. No real reason why, I guess I just did it in a one many unit so long that the short time I did work a two man unit, it was intrusive. For one thing, it was more expensive. I could not run by my house for meals, etc.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Dallas could sure save on gas by hiring more cops, so they can stay in their beats - The four times I rode with them, they were always jumping across beats enroute from one call to another - It was almost nonstop, with no hope of staying in their beats.

Sometimes they couldn't even stay in their districts - For example when I rode in the western district, we had to make a couple of runs down to South Dallas, which would take like 20-30 minutes.

In addition to using a lot of gas, we usually arrived too late to do anything except take a report, even for domestics - Usually the boyfriend or husband left 10 minutes before we got there.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    Scooters, I think a 150CC Scooter for inner city patrol would save lots of gas!
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

baumshoe is offline Baumshoe Law Enforcement Supply
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    We just got our email today, no unnecessary running of the squads, running radar with car running , while at calls, etc..

zpd307 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    we got our email a couple of days ago. oh well, gives me more time to stay in the office and get caught up here.
    MANNNNN.... YOU MUST BE FAST, BECAUSE I WAS HAULIN ASS WHEN I PASSED YOU!

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    We got an email about a month ago asking us not to unneccesarliy idle our cars. We can still idle while running radar, but not while we are in the office or the gas station. That and we were asked to not patrol as much.

"Working should not be a competition to see who can rack up the most miles in one shift" was how it was put.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    $4 a gallon, oh my !!! you poor devils.

equivalent of about $8 a gallon here now.

Nobody has asked us to change our habits yet, hope they don't introduce mileage restrictions again, cars these days don't have odometer/speedo cables that you reach up behind the dash and pull out, not that I ever did that!
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwaycop View Post
    $4 a gallon, oh my !!! you poor devils.

equivalent of about $8 a gallon here now.
    How are your gas taxes decided? Here, the federal gas tax is 20 cents/gallon. Most of Europe charges taxes based on percentages.

Also, unless you're in New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles you probably don't have mass transit system that's very robust. There are some exceptions, but for the most part city buses are all you have.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    How are your gas taxes decided? Here, the federal gas tax is 20 cents/gallon. Most of Europe charges taxes based on percentages.

Also, unless you're in New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles you probably don't have mass transit system that's very robust. There are some exceptions, but for the most part city buses are all you have.
    If you're THAT lucky. We don't have centralized anything, and unless you're up for walking or biking several miles, you can't even go to the grocery store without using fuel. We've got a convenience store a half mile away, that's the closest - and I'm in city limits. Go outside city limits, and you're screwed.

I'm seriously looking into a motorcycle.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Quote Originally Posted by nsb22 View Post
    "Working should not be a competition to see who can rack up the most miles in one shift" was how it was put.
    So the cop conferences behind grocery stores talking about Fantasy Football is no longer "goofing off"? lol

(\__/)

4everlate is offline Swamp Rat
    I would like to chime in about take-home cars if I may. Remember, I am just a civilian.

I was trying recently to rent a house. On a few occasions, the prospective renters commented on the two police cars in the immediate vicinity. They liked and appreciated that there was a police presence.

This simple fact, I believe, helped me rent the house faster.

Our town is heavily dotted with take-home cars. I have no problem with the issue and actually am completely for it.
    If the grass is always greener on the other side, stop pissing on yours.

I'm in favor of take-home cars too - It is a waste of resources for them to be parked in the back of the PD instead of being visible on the street.

It also makes it much faster to respond to emergency call-outs, assuming they don't have to make a stop at the PD to pick up shotguns, flashlights, portable radios, etc. Seems to me that a take-home car should include take-home equipment.

(\__/)

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    When I lived in the Keys my neighborhood was primarily LEO's. I heard civilians complain constantly about cops getting to take their vehicles home. I used to get pissed off at their narrow minded view on it and I still do. I think measures to cut gas usage is a good idea for now as long as officer and civilian safety is kept in mind

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Thread Information