Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Standard Dave is offline Constable

Police patrol car in arson attack

A police car in North East Lincolnshire was doused in petrol and set on fire just after officers left the vehicle.

Humberside Police said the Proton patrol car was "badly damaged" in the deliberate blaze at about 2130 BST on Tuesday on Cabourne Road, Grimsby.

A police spokesman said the incident was being treated as an arson attack after a window was smashed and petrol poured into the car.

Two officers had gone to the area to carry out inquiries about an assault.
    Firefighters attended the scene to extinguish the fire but nobody was injured.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/7423417.stm

Picture on the BBC site in the link.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    You folks over there are just not as civilized as you used to be. The Empire is crumbling.
    "A Knights Oath
    A Knight is sworn to valor; His Heart only knows virtue; His Blade defends the helpless; His Might upholds the weak; His Words speak only the truth; His Wrath undoes the wicked"

Aspire to Inspire

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    What a complete waste. Not just of the car, but gasoline is incredibly expensive there.

(sorry, had to)
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Standard Dave is offline Constable

VAN BLAZE OFFICER IN LINE FOR BRAVERY AWARD

Another one the youths are obviously capable of watching the Tv news and copying other idiots.

09:00 - 05 June 2008

The van was set alight by yobs after being left unattended in Norwich Gardens, Bulwell, by officers investigating reports of a stolen vehicle last night.

The brakes burned away in the fire and the van started rolling towards a nearby housing complex.

An officer then drove his Ford Focus into the burning white Transit to stop it. Amazingly, the car was not damaged.

Pamela Vickers, 58, and her husband Neville Vickers, 71, from Norwich Gardens, were among the residents evacuated.

Mrs Vickers said: "I was watching a film and my husband had fallen asleep when I heard a knock at the door. It was the police saying we had to get out quickly.

"It was quite frightening as it seemed it was going into our windows."

Mr Vickers said: "It began rolling down the hill and a car drove in front of it.

"When I saw it rolling I thought it's coming into the bungalow."

"If it had blown it would have blown in the windows."

A police spokesman said the driver of the police car was expected to be put forward for Divisional Commander Commendation awards.

Detective Inspector Rob Griffin, who is overseeing an investigation into the incident, said: "It is extremely lucky no one was injured or worse. This was a mindless attack on a police vehicle by vandals who spared no thought for the potential consequences.

"While the officers were simply out doing their job, these youths have set the vehicle alight and then run away. We need to speak to anyone who knows who has done this or who has any information.

"Thankfully other officers in a marked car were attending the scene and their quick thinking prevented further damage. If the van had rolled into the house, with people inside, there could easily have been a devastating result."

The van was pushed away from the housing complex while still alight and firefighters then put out the flames.

Crew manager Jonathan Holford said: "It was bad. The whole van was gutted along with a lot of their equipment and reports that were inside the van."

"It had got a cage in the back, so it was obviously used for picking criminals up."

Firefighters were later called to assist police with gaining access to Bulwell Hall Park, where they believed the stolen vehicle had been abandoned.

Police were today viewing CCTV footage and carrying out house-to-house inquiries.

Roderick Reynolds, 61, saw the van was on fire when he let his dog out into his garden.

He said: "I saw the van blazing and I was going to call the fire brigade.

"But then I saw the police were already there and they evacuated the bungalows nearby."

Two elderly residents, who did not want to be named, were also evacuated from their bungalow.

The man said: "The police knocked on our door and when I looked out the window I saw all the flames.

"We?ve lived here for 16 years and there have always been problems like this."

Anyone with any information is asked to contact Nottinghamshire Police on 0115 9670 999 ext or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Nottingham Evening post
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Thread Information