Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO

2 sides of a speeding ticket

Editor's Note:

Dodge County Sheriff Todd Nehls recently received the following e-mail from a woman stopped for speeding in his county. He chose to share the e-mail with the media in an effort to educate drivers on safe driving habits. The following is the text of the e-mail sent to Nehls followed by his response to the woman. The womanís name was not included with the press release from Nehls.

(Dear) Sheriff Nehls:

Hi, I am just writing because I received a speeding ticket tonight on my way home from Madison. I just finished exams, and I have a doctorís appointment tomorrow morning in west bend so I can finish up getting some immunizations in order to get my nursing license.

I have not gotten a ticket in 4 years, and honestly had my cruise control set for under 65. I NEVER drive 10 or more over on back roads or freeways, and never over 5 over on main roads because now being 22, I learned my lesson back when I was 17 years old.

There was a car in front of me who I had been following for at least ten minutes before I was pulled over, and truthfully I am really upset because that car had progressively gotten farther and farther away from me, which only means they were going much faster than me.

My mom called me to make sure I was getting home safe because it was getting so late, and we came up to a hill and for literally 30 seconds it slipped my mind to brake because there was no one anywhere close to me, and I coasted down the hill for honestly 30 seconds. The officer said I was clocked at 71 in a 55, which I still do not believe because my cruise control was set much lower than that.

I know how the law works because I have family that was involved with law enforcement, and other family that are lawyers. I understand that cops think they can do whatever they want because they are cops and no matter what I say, it is their word over mine, but in this case I'm honestly disappointed because as soon as I got to the bottom of the hill I put on my breaks as well as did the car in front of me who had been going much faster than me. She didnít get pulled over.

The cop asked me if I had any questions, and I asked why she wasnít pulled over and he said she was only going about 64. At this point she was only a few yards ahead of me, and if I was going 7 miles per hour faster than this car I would have literally crashed into them.

Nothing the cop said makes sense, and I think it is shameful and cowardly that he had nothing better to say or explain to me when it didnít make any sense at all. It would not have been possible for me to be going 7 miles faster than her without hitting her.

I was asking the cop questions and all he could say to me was ďI'm not here to argue, drive safe.Ē And walked away. I donít know exactly how law enforcement likes to deal with things, or thinks they are allowed to deal with things, but in most areas of profession, you deal with situations in a mature, professional manner rather than responding in a very uninterested, uncaring, tone.

Regardless of him being a cop, I am a citizen, and that does not make me any less of a person just because he is issuing me a ticket for one of the most pointless things, when no one else was around for me to even harm, and when I wasnít going at any absurd speed, not to mention I was coasting down a hill for 30 seconds because I was distracted by someone making sure I was alright.

I slowed down within 30 seconds of being down the hill and realizing that I was going too fast. I just feel that his time could have been spent better by dealing with actual problems rather than an innocent person who has been studying for days and hours on end to finish up a nursing degree, is worn to the bone tired, and trying to make it home to take care of one more responsibility.

Not to mention I am disgusted by the way I was treated. I really am sick and tired of being treated like dirt by police officials just because they win any battle their word over mine. It really puts a bad impression on your county law enforcement, and police in general.

I am the first to admit when I do something wrong, and in this situation I feel victimized, and treated very unfairly. If there is anything I can do or anyone I can talk to about this, even if not I would really appreciate someone calling me back or writing me back..

Dodge County Sheriff Todd Nehls responds:

Dear .Ö., first and foremost the tone of your email and lack of respect for law enforcement may be one reason you received a citation. We do not pick on anybody nor are we in the business of knowing every citizens personal background to determine whom we ticket and who we do not. I appreciate you sharing your familyís ties to law enforcement and lawyers but that has no real bearing on your issue or our decisions.

We have no quotas. My staff receives no pressure to write citations, there is no motivation to just go write bogus citations.

Cruise control is a very common defense in court, one that does not hold water. Let me explain why I think you were speeding. In your email you stated you set your cruise at 65, you are already 10 mph over the posted limit and I would recommend you slow that speed down. Secondly, the way cruise controls work, they allow the car to coast only when it is exceeding the speed the cruise is set at. So by your own admission, you were going faster than 65 when you were coasting otherwise the cruise would kick on to accelerate the vehicle to 65.

As far as your perception that the officer did not care I would say that we are not in the business of debating the merits of citation on the road side. We issue citation we feel are appropriate and we allow the courts to determine the validity of the citations. The area in which you were cited has several driveway entrances and is hilly so I see the merit in the citation. The deputy that cited you has a great deal of respect from me and the entire department. He is smart, professional, and fair. It would be most interesting if drivers would put themselves in our shoes and experience our feelings when we must give a young woman such as yourself a $200.00 citation, it provides no sense of satisfaction I assure you. You state you felt disgusted and were treated like dirt but I read no verbiage that explains those allegations

I am sorry you feel so strongly and negative about law enforcement, that is of course until you call 911 and need one that is. I would recommend you go to court and I will ensure this email and your admittance of going 65 in a 55 zone will provide the judge the option of reducing the cited speed to ten over.

Good luck in your nursing career, it is a career that will require you to interact often with law enforcement. I hope by the time you find your dream job you understand the job we have to do and respect us as much as we respect and appreciate those in the nursing profession. Like you, we are out to help others as well.

Sheriff Todd Nehls

http://www.fdlreporter.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080528/FON0101/80528141
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    That Sheriff is to be commended.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We need a few more Sheriff's like that, methinks.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    LMAO
    I loved this part of her letter, "I slowed down within 30 seconds of being down the hill and realizing that I was going too fast."
    full of contradictions... and gotta love how he picked her apart
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    I liked how she was following a car for 10 miles that kept getting further and further ahead of her, yet later she said the vehicle was only a few yards ahead of her while going down the hill.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Give that man a ceegar!

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    I liked how she was following a car for 10 miles that kept getting further and further ahead of her, yet later she said the vehicle was only a few yards ahead of her while going down the hill.
    That's because she accelerated while coasting down the hill and caught up to the car in front of her. Funny how that cruise control lets you coast huh? Why is it somehow we aren't allowed to ticket people coasting down hills? Like gravity somehow overrides your ability to drive and we just have to let it ride.

I like that sheriff! He's a smart guy and brave to stick up for one of his guys.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

baumshoe is offline Baumshoe Law Enforcement Supply
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    He is the Sheriff in the county Next to us..Never met the guy, but have heard good things about him..

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I can't believe the cop didn't call a waaaaaambulance for that poor idiot!
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I would love to see her trying to explain all that in court, ha ha ha ha

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Ha! that's funny!

Seriously, you know she expected to get a break because she's a nurse, oh wait, that's right, she's still a student who mommy and daddy are probably still paying tuition....
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

Probation13-901 is offline Master Officer
    She is just plain and simple an idiot!!! trying debate on the side of the road.

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Probation13-901 View Post
    She is just plain and simple an idiot!!! trying debate on the side of the road.
    It's more common than you think, everyone believes their excuse is good enough to avoid a ticket.
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Bone tired.
    Talking on a cell phone.
    Coasting down a hill with the cruise set.
    Wasn't watching her speed.
    The vehicle in front of her was only a "few yards" away (9 feet?)

She's lucky she got a ticket and not an ambulance ride due to her tired/distracted driving, speeding, and following too closely.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    So she is driving tired and talking to her mom on the phone while driving
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Cool Breeze is offline 303rd Logistics
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Remain calm. Help is on the way!

op246 is offline Officer First Class
    What an idiot! I wish people would take a step back and listen to themselves sometimes....

keith720 is online now Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    It's good to see an Sheriff stick up for his troops! Oh, and she's an idiot.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Pudge is offline Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Kudos to the Sheriff!

And of course to the officer, I have a gut feeling she was quite the peach to deal with on the stop.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    Kudos to the Sheriff!

And of course to the officer, I have a gut feeling she was quite the peach to deal with on the stop.

+1 to that. She was undoubtedly a pain in the ass. Anyone who sits down and types an e-mail like that (simply one sided as all get out) clearly has a bone to pick. She was nasty at the stop and when it didn't get her anywhere she chose to try and discredit the officer to his boss. Cudos for the Sheriff seeing through the useless BS.

Thread Information