Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Man, 71, and friend in wheelchair subdue suspect

Man, 71, and friend in wheelchair subdue suspect

- AP

The young woman probably thought the 71-year-old veteran, whose friend was in a wheelchair, would make an easy target. She was wrong. Harry Kopenis chased and tackled the 22-year-old woman he says robbed him at an ATM in northeastern Pennsylvania. Then, with help from his friend in a wheelchair, he held her until police arrived.

"Maybe she thought I was easy prey. She didn't think I was going to get her. Well, senior citizens aren't easy prey," Kopenis said.

Police charged Erin Vanmatre, of Kingston, with robbery, harassment and other offenses. Vanmatre, who was on probation for conspiracy to commit theft, was locked up on $10,000 bail. It wasn't clear if she had an attorney.
    Kopenis said he's not sure how he was able to catch Vanmatre, considering he suffered a stroke five years ago and is on various prescription medications. He pointed to the sky and said, "It was a source up there who gave me the energy."

He had gone to an ATM near his Kingston home Monday morning and withdrew $100 when Vanmatre allegedly knocked him down, took his money and fled.

Kopenis' friend, Kevin Lamb, was nearby in his electric wheelchair. Both men took off after her. Kopenis got her to the ground and Lamb grabbed her leg.
    "She wasn't going anyplace then," said Lamb, 56, who uses the wheelchair due to breathing problems.

Kopenis said he thought about not pressing charges, but she continued to resist and gave him a kick to the leg.
    The men weren't seriously injured.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Bravo to them!
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Great job for them! Should have donkey punched her a couple times.
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Never underestimate the power of a Veteran.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    Love it!!! Bet she doesn't tell anyone she had her ass handed to her by two guys in wheelchairs!
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    20 some odd years ago I was doing ER hours to get my EMT. A 26 year old guy came in, throat cut so bad that he was bleeding pink from the dilution of his blood by IV fluids. He lived but just barely.

Turns out that he robbed an elderly vet after he received his check the month before. He decided that it was an easy take so he tried it again. The old guy had his hand on a knife, open in his pocket, with about a 3 inch blade and laid the turd open with one good swipe. I love it when a punk gets what's coming to him!
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Thread Information