Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Kate is offline Corporal

WTH is wrong with people?

Personally, I feel if the bastard(s) are caught, they should be nailed to the cross and crucified for stealing from a church - either that or cut off their hands! How low can you go? That's absolutely despicable and it pisses me off to no end!

8-foot statue of Jesus stolen off Detroit crucifix

Source

DETROIT - Thieves who stole an 8-foot statue of Jesus Christ off a crucifix in Detroit may have been seeking copper to sell as scrap. Problem is, it's made of plaster.

The Rev. Barry Randolph said Wednesday that the statue at the Church of the Messiah is green and looks like copper, one of several metals coveted by thieves because of soaring scrap prices.

Thieves have damaged copper pipes and stolen aluminum gutters at the church over the past few months, said Donya Ray-Gregg, a member of the congregation, which over the years has dwindled from about 350 members to just 50.

It's unclear when the statue was snatched. A parishioner noticed it missing Monday from its perch on the side of the church, 10 feet above the ground. A small piece of plaster was found nearby.

The church has made a public plea for help.

"It is so crazy," Randolph said. "It's been there for so long and was a symbol of hope to a lot of people in this neighborhood."

Police were investigating, but department spokesman James Tate said it was doubtful thieves had mistaken the plaster statue for copper.

"People who steal copper know what copper is and what it feels like," Tate said. "There is no way they would think a plaster statue is some type of metal."

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    He Has Returned

Stolen Jesus statue returned to Detroit church

Thu Jun 5, 12:57 PM ET

DETROIT - A Detroit woman has found Jesus ... in an alley.

The pastor of a church in the city says its stolen 8-foot Jesus statue was recovered from bushes in an alley about two blocks away.

Patricia Bowers says she notified the church late Wednesday that she had seen the statue the previous day after she had gotten off a bus.

Bowers says she didn't realize the green-hued, plaster statue had been stolen until seeing news reports Tuesday night.

The Rev. Barry Randolph says the only damage to the statue is a broken hand. The cross it was attached to suffered major damage.

A church member noticed the statue missing Monday. Randolph says thieves may have thought the statue contained copper, which often is stolen and sold as scrap metal.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Guess they figured out it wasn't copper.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Dustoff262 is offline Retirement date: December 29, 2019
    Verified LEO
    I always wondered what possesses people to deface, steal or burn any church. What is the gain? What is the rationale?
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- George Orwell

Kate is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    He Has Returned

I'll be happy to read when all is fixed and He has risen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustoff
    I always wondered what possesses people to deface, steal or burn any church. What is the gain? What is the rationale?
    I could never understand that either.

A few years back here in Upper Darby at the Catholic school my boys went to, there was a Blessed Mother statue next to the school and on the side of the church. Some little bastards decapitated Her and it really was an incident that pissed off my whole community.

I mean, seriously, what pleasure could someone really have doing something like that? I think it shows a person who has deep personal issues and needs serious help - after he/she gets the shit beat out of them for what they did.

The Parish is made up mostly of good Irish & Italian folks, and they're all deeply religious, so the community went insane.

The Blessed Mother had a sheet wrapped around her until a the statue could be repaired. She looks great now - just the way She's supposed to.

Dustoff262 is offline Retirement date: December 29, 2019
    Verified LEO
    This happens so often, that I hope churches and synagogues invest in surveillence systems to catch these miscreants in action. And just as bad, are the people defacing or destroying headstones in cemetaries. That really makes my blood boil.

I think if they want to get their jollies in the middle of the dark, they should stick to cow tipping.!!! LOL The following are instructions for those rocket scientist.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- George Orwell

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    You're right, this happens way too much these days. What I find interesting is, how come I always hear of it happening to other churches and temples but I never hear of it happening to mine. Perhaps ours are up so high that the deviants can't reach them or wouldn't have access to them if they tried to. We don't have many as a general rule. If they tried this in Utah, in Salt Lake, or at our temples, they would be lynched. Maybe it has happened but I just havent heard about it.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Thread Information