Welcome to the APBWeb.
    PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired

Armed, Retired CHP Officer Confronts Delaware State Police

I brought this over from a CHP site:
    ______________________________ ____________________ __

Del. troopers: Man's CHP background didn't alter response

RANDALL CHASE Associated Press Writer
    Article Last Updated: 06/09/2008 05:38:20 PM PDT

DOVER, Del.—State troopers knew it was a former California Highway Patrol officer who holed up with a gun in a Milford home after threatening to kill a neighbor—but they handled the situation no differently than similar standoffs, authorities said Monday.

The standoff between Delaware State Police and former CHP officer Richard D. Redmond ended violently about 3 a.m. Saturday when Redmond, 52, was shot and killed after shooting at officers who had surrounded his home. No officers were injured.

"We went through the same protocol as we would with any other person," said DSP spokesman Sgt. Joshua Bushweller, noting that officers are authorized to use deadly force against a suspect who uses lethal force against them or someone else.

Maj. Joseph Papili, head of special operations for the DSP, said troopers learned shortly after arriving at Redmond's home that he was a former police officer. Negotiators acknowledged Redmond's background during negotiations aimed at persuading him to surrender, but it did not prompt any changes in their approach to the standoff, Papili said.

"You have to take that into consideration that he may be familiar with some of our tactics and some of our operational capabilities," he said. "... He didn't demand anything that would lead us to believe he knew what we were doing or what our capabilities were."

Fran Clader, a spokeswoman for the California Highway Patrol, said Redmond entered the academy in 1981 and was assigned to central Los Angeles after graduating in March 1982. He became a motorcycle officer in April 1983 and was transferred to San Diego about nine months later.

Redmond retired from the force because of a job-related injury in August 1985, said Ed Fong, a spokesman for the California Public Employees' Retirement System.

State police said Redmond was suffering from a terminal illness, and they have not ruled out "suicide by cop." Bushweller of DSP added that Redmond had threatened to shoot police if they entered his home and had suggested to several people that he wanted to end his life.

According to state police, Redmond started an argument with a neighbor Friday night and threatened to kill him. Another neighbor called 911 after Redmond brandished a handgun and threatened to kill the man he argued with.

Redmond refused to speak with police officers who responded to his home, where his wife was inside with him.

Redmond stepped outside his front door several times during the standoff and said he was going to surrender, but then went back inside, police said. After he stepped outside again shortly before 3:15 a.m. Saturday, police shot him with nonlethal beanbags. Papili declined to explain why officers did not use a stun gun to subdue him instead.

Redmond then grabbed a .223-caliber Bushmaster rifle from inside the home and shot at the officers.

Lt. Rodney Layfield, a 14-year veteran of the force, then killed Redmond with a single round. Papili refused to say whether Layfield fired his service revolver or another type of weapon.

After the standoff, police recovered eight pistols, the rifle and a shotgun from Redmond's home. All were loaded.

Redmond's widow, Terri, declined to comment Monday, according to a woman who answered the telephone at Redmond's home and identified herself as Mrs. Redmond's mother. "I'm sure you can understand this has been traumatic for her," she said
    ______________________________ ____________________ ____

My comments:

A short lived career with the Patrol. Early retirement due to injury and contracting a terminal illness? Sounds like the classic case of full blown depression and as a result "Suicide by cop!" The Delaware State Police did what was necessary to end the confrontation.

Sad! So sad to think that a person can slip into such a state of mind that all is lost and death is the only escape from the demons that fill the mind.

I am glad that no others were injured in this incident.

I hope that the Creator will offer his family some comfort and understanding that there was nothing they could do to prevent the ultimate.

May he now RIP!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Very sad. Perhaps the terminal illness was cancer, depression, or a sense of abandonment. Did he have his identity buried so far in the "job" that he lost who he was?

Untreated depession is lethal as cancer.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Very Sad story, this guy must of been totally distraught to show at fellow LEO's, Too bad he could not reach out for help instead of resorting to this. Too many suicides, way too many.

Tough job for DSP.

matt86 is offline Piggy
    Verified LEO
    Thats a sad story that it had to go that far. My prayers are with all of the officers invovled... I can't imagine what they're feeling now.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Prayers for all involved.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Very sad that he felt there was no other way out. In a way, selfish of him...cuz he didn't think about how his actions were going to affect the involved LEO's for the rest of their lives.

Sounds like he got the end result he was looking for.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    This is definitely a sad story from my home state. I have seen pictures of DSP's S.O.R.T. Team truck all shot up, luckily the members inside were saved by the bulletproof glass, but it'll need replacing. DSP just shot and killed another man the other night so it's been a rough and tough week for them...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Thread Information