Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Kate is offline Corporal

Baby discovered in car, hospitalized

This happened in the county I live in.

How the hell do you forget your child/grandchild is in the car? Seriously, you strap the baby in the car seat, park and then forget him/her? WTH is wrong with people?!

Yesterday we had temps hovering around 100 degress. That poor baby!

Here's a vid

BROOMALL, Pa. - June 10, 2008 (WPVI) -- Marple Township Police are investigating the discovery of 14-month-old Nicholas McCorkel, who was left in a vehicle for several hours today in extremely hot conditions.

Police received a call from the baby's grandfather, identified as Edward Kanterman of Lansdown, around 1:20 this afternoon, requesting emergency response. Authorities arrived at the CHI Institute in Broomall, located at Lawrence and Sproul Roads, and upon arrival found the temperature inside the vehicle where the baby was found at 110-degrees.

The young boy was first transported to Bryn Mawr Hospital and then later transferred to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in unknown condition.

Police tell Action News that the grandfather normally drops the child off at daycare, but had forgotten the boy was in the car. He went into work this morning at the CHI Institute and came back outside this afternoon to find the baby in the car. He then called police.

Police say the baby's mother is Rebecca Kanterman of Drexel hill.

The case has been turned over to the District Attorney's office for possible criminal charges.

Source: WPVI

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Katey View Post
    How the hell do you forget your child/grandchild is in the car? Seriously, you strap the baby in the car seat, park and then forget him/her? WTH is wrong with people?!

Yesterday we had temps hovering around 100 degress. That poor baby!
    I am sure that Grandpa is beating himself senseless over this. It appears that he only drops off the child a couple times a week at daycare vs 5 or more times a week. I can see where this tragic accident might happen in this case since he doesn't do it every day but when dealing with a defenseless child such as this, people need to be more aware of their surroundings. Especially when in many states, it is illegal to my knowledge to transport a child of this age in the front seat unless that is the only seat that is available such as a pick up or sports car. Out of sight, out of mind. This time it is going to turn around and bite him in the ass for sure. I bet he will be more carefull from now on. At least he called the authorities. Some don't even go that far.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Supporting Member Lvl 3

Update - The Child has died

http://cbs3.com/local/Child.Car.Heat.2.745055.html

VIDEO

Baby Dies After Being Left In Sweltering Car

BROOMALL, Pa. (CBS 3) ―
    A toddler who was accidentally left in a car last week was pronounced dead Saturday afternoon.

14-month-old Nicholas McCorkle was rushed to the hospital after his grandfather accidentally left the young boy inside a car for nearly five hours on Tuesday afternoon.

According to police the child was left outside the CHI Institute in Broomall, Pa. on a 97-degree day.

Police said the child's grandfather Edward Kanterman, an instructor at the trades school, was supposed to drop the child off at daycare but accidentally left the toddler in his car after reporting for work.

"He forgot that the child was in the car, went to work, parked the car somewhere in the vicinity of 8:00 o'clock in the morning," Chief Thomas Murray of the Marple Township Police Department said. "He went out to the car 20, 25 after 1 to get something, when he opened the door, he found the child and summoned help."

The child was unconscious but still breathing and was initially transported to Bryn Mawr Hospital and then later transferred to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia where he later died.

"The air temperature at the time of the incident I believe was 97 degrees, the interior of the car some 20 or 30 minutes after the incident when detectives started to investigate they took a reading of about 110-degrees inside the car," Chief Murray said.

The grandfather was questioned by police for several hours and was later released pending the outcome of an investigation.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    What a tragedy, so sad.

I am sorry but aside from either dementia or alzhiemers, it is hard to fathom how anyone can forget they have a child in their car that they are supposed to be dropping off.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Blue 4 U View Post
    What a tragedy, so sad.

I am sorry but aside from either dementia or alzhiemers, it is hard to fathom how anyone can forget they have a child in their car that they are supposed to be dropping off.
    +10000 I call BS on this.....you just can't forget you have a 14month old in your vehicle. As a Grandpa..i am sure having his grandbaby with him would be the ONLY thing on his mind.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    It is very tragic, and seems to happen at least once a year.

I will not defend what happened, but I do understand how it can happen.

Ask yourself how many times you catch yourself heading to work because you are driving in that direction, but it's your day off?
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    It is very tragic, and seems to happen at least once a year.

I will not defend what happened, but I do understand how it can happen.

Ask yourself how many times you catch yourself heading to work because you are driving in that direction, but it's your day off?
    It's like you are on auto-pilot, done that many times but I don't think I would forget wheter or not I had a child in the car.

Not a LEO

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I got almost all the way to work once, before I realized I had the kiddo in the car with me. Her car seat was always in my car, but I didn't normally have to drop her off, just pick her up. It faced backwards, so I didn't see her sitting there, just the seat as always. She'd fallen asleep as soon as I got her in the car, so there wasn't any crying or other baby noises to remind me. I'd put her in the car and my mind went on autopilot once I got two streets away. If I'd had to take a different direction to her daycare it wouldn't have been an issue, but between it being on my way to work but not passing it, and dropping her off being outside of my normal routine, I did forget she was back there. Fortunately, she woke up and made some noise before I got to work.

As sad as it is, I can see how it could happen.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Tragic, poor grandfather will probably never recover from this either. I have to agree with Ducky, it is easy to forget when it is out of the norm.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

dapples is offline Swamp Kitty
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    +1 With PDawg, Mack, N Ducky..... we are all kinda conditioned ...to our ususal routine..... and unfortunatley tragic accidents do happen...N.... sometimes no one is intentionally negligent....

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by dapples View Post
    +1 With PDawg, Mack, N Ducky..... we are all kinda conditioned ...to our ususal routine..... and unfortunatley tragic accidents do happen...N.... sometimes no one is intentionally negligent....
    I understand we can all be pre-occupied or programmed to a routine, but I just have a hard time with this particular case. I hope their is a full investigation and an autopsy. Something just does not seem right.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    There are at least a couple of cases in Dallas every year. Sadly, I've never heard of one surviving.

I guess if you forget then nothing can be done at the time - I've had lapses over other things, like forgetting my wallet when I left it in a different place and stuff like that, so no doubt people can honestly be subject to lapses.

But everyone has heard these stories - maybe it would be prudent for anyone who carries a child to daycare to send themselves an email to work before they leave, schedule a daily reminder on their cell phone calendar every morning or afternoon when they might pick the kid up, invest in a 79 cent pad of sticky notes to put on the dash, or the preverbial sring around the finger - anything that will snap the brain cells.

Some cases were much more than forgetting about the kid because it's not their normal routine. Several have been at shopping centers, and the mothers were the ones who regularly cared for the child. In one case near here, the woman went to the Cheesecake Factory to eat lunch and left the kid in the car - a child that was with her a lot during the day.

Probably the most ridiculous has been a couple of incidents at daycare centers that have shuttle buses for pickups and field trips, where kids went to sleep in the back seat of the van and were left in. Those people are paid to be diligent.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-6042618-7.html

February 23, 2006 1:29 PM PST
    Alarm helps parents remember kids in cars

A new gadget goes on the market this spring to help prevent parents or caregivers from inadvertently leaving a child in a car seat.

Credit: Baby Alert
    The idea of forgetting a child may sound unthinkable, but Kids and Cars, which maintains a national database tracking deaths and injuries related to children left unatttended in cars, reports at least 213 such fatalities in 2005 alone. That's up from 66 such deaths tracked in 1999.

With that in mind, the Baby Alert's Child Minder--one of many child-reminder technologies for cars--works by installing the "active buckle" to existing car seat straps and placing the receiver on a key ring. Should you leave the vehicle with the child still in the car seat and walk 20 feet or more away, the receiver alerts you by playing nursery rhymes, according to the product site. The buckle is deactivated when it is unfastened.

You can also order the Child Minder with an optional car door receiver, which sends an alert after closing the driver's door if the buckle hasn't been deactivated.

It makes you wonder if such a technology would even be necessary if it weren't for the ever-quickening pace of life exacerbated by technology like cell phones and PDAs.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Thread Information