Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

man killed while beating toddler to death

TURLOCK, Calif. Police killed a 27-year-old man as he kicked, punched and stomped a toddler to death despite other people's attempts to stop him on a dark, country road, authorities said.
    Investigators on Sunday were trying to establish the relationship between the suspect and the child they say he killed Saturday night. The Stanislaus County coroner said the boy appeared to be between 1 and 2 years old based on his size, according to county sheriff's deputy Royjindar Singh.
    "It's been a long night of wondering, 'Why?' _ not only for the officers and the passers-by who stopped and tried to help out, but for anyone. Why would somebody do this?" Singh said.
    Singh said the coroner does not plan to confirm the identities of the suspect and victim until Monday. Because his injuries were so severe, the child will have to be identified through a blood or DNA test, he said.
    The suspect had a child's car seat in the back of his four-door pickup truck. The truck caught the attention of an elderly couple at 10:13 p.m. Saturday because it was stopped in the two-lane road facing the wrong direction, Singh said.
    As they got closer, the couple saw the man brutally beating the toddler behind his truck and throwing the child on the ground, according to Singh. Two or three other cars stopped, an unusual number to be passing through the remote area surrounded by a dairy, a cow pasture, a cornfield and a farmhouse, he said.

"What we got from witnesses is he was punching, slapping, kicking, stomping, shaking," Singh said. "They tried to intervene and get involved, but their efforts really didn't have an effect. The suspect was engaged in what he was doing. He just pushed them off and went back to it."
    A sheriff's helicopter responding to emergency calls from the area landed in a cow pasture at 10:19 p.m. carrying a Modesto police officer who shot the man to death after he refused an order to stop beating the child, Singh said.
    Paramedics tried to resuscitate the toddler, who was not breathing when they arrived. The boy was taken to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
    No children within the dead boy's age range have been reported kidnapped or missing in Stanislaus County, Singh said.
    The incident happened on Bradbury Road about 10 miles west of Turlock, a city located about halfway between Sacramento and Fresno.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    There are no words........... Man's inhumanity to man never ceases to amaze me. What a worthless piece of sh#t this sorry excuse for a man had to be to destroy an innocent , defenseless life in such a brutal manner.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Dang 213th you beat me to it, I was just going to post this.
    All is good, no worries.

I hope the officer has no remorse for having to take the life of this animal off our streets. He did what he had to do. This is what needs to happen to all who choose to abuse a poor defenseless child.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Poor baby.

A quick death was too good for the POS.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Poor baby.

A quick death was too good for the POS.
    True, but I think the officer was trying to save the life of the child, in this case. Unfortunately the child was DOA at one of our local hospitals.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

Rabbit23 is offline The Flying Squirrel
    Verified LEO
    All I needed to hear:

TURLOCK, Calif. Police killed a 27-year-old man as he kicked, punched and stomped a toddler to death

FUCK HIM

Burn in Hell!!!
    Once the sun goes down all the weirdos turn crazy - Homer Simpson

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    what a piece of trash. There is no reason for that to happen to a young child. Kudo's to the officer.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I guess no area is immune to this type of stuff. This just happened a few miles from me. POS for sure.

Not a LEO

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    And at least we don't have to worry about this POS getting early release from custody!!
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    This stuff just falls into my category of *just no words*
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Quote Originally Posted by adroitcuffs View Post
    And at least we don't have to worry about this POS getting early release from custody!!
    +infinity

Not to mention some lame ass insanity plea.

Poor wee bairn.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

op246 is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit23 View Post
    All I needed to hear:

TURLOCK, Calif. Police killed a 27-year-old man as he kicked, punched and stomped a toddler to death

FUCK HIM

Burn in Hell!!!
    yep! There are no words for these type of situations.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just KC View Post
    This stuff just falls into my category of *just no words*

ditto

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Video by Modesto PD on scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRzTGSGWPmY

Not a LEO

Supporting Member Lvl 3

UPDATE

Demons??? yeah right...sure. The only demon was the man beating the child.

http://www.modbee.com/local/story/330185.html

Police shoot man who killed toddler

A man lay dead on W. Bradberry Rd. east of Blaker Rd. in rural Stanislaus County, Cailf. after a Modesto Police Department officer flying in a police helicopter landed near a suspect that was beating a infant boy. The officer shot and killed the Turlock, Calif. man Saturday June 14th, 2008 as he attacked and killed the infant boy. Surrounded by farmland, the scene was empty late Sunday June 15th, 2008 except for cows, corn and a bloodstained road. (The Modesto Police Department)
    Modesto Police Department - Unknown

Driver stopped when he saw man slamming something into road
    By MICHAEL R. SHEA
    mshea@modbee.com
    last updated: June 16, 2008 03:44:46 AM
    TURLOCK -- A crazed man parked on a dark country road Saturday night, took a toddler from the car seat in his pickup and beat the boy to death until a Modesto police officer, dropped on the scene by helicopter, shot the man dead, authorities said.

Passers-by calling 911 at 10:13 p.m. described a horrific scene on West Bradbury Road near the intersection of South Blaker Road in rural Stanislaus County, 10 miles west of Turlock. At least one tried to stop the 27-year-old attacker, who swung and slammed the toddler into the asphalt and stomped on him behind his parked four-door Toyota pickup.

"In the shadows and light it looked like he had hit an animal," said Dan Robinson, the chief of Crows Landing Volunteer Fire Department, who came upon the chaos on his way home from a late dinner in Turlock. "As we backed up again, I could see that he had blood on his arms. I could see that it was a small child."

Robinson, 52, jumped from his vehicle and confronted the man, who lunged at him. Robinson said the man wasn't screaming and wasn't loud, but was forceful, saying "demons" were in the boy.

"Give me the knife. Give me the knife," the man said as he grabbed for a pen in the fireman's front pocket.

"There was a total hollowness in his eyes," Robinson said, "like I could see right through to the back of his head."

A Stanislaus County Sheriff's Department helicopter, flown by a deputy with a Modesto police officer in the second seat, was on patrol in the Turlock area. It arrived six minutes after the first 911 call, said deputy Royjindar Singh, sheriff's department spokesman.

"The helicopter spotlights the scene and sees this guy just beating on this infant or baby in the middle of the road. I can't imagine what that looked like," Singh said.

The helicopter landed in a cow pasture and the Modesto police officer jumped out. He drew his service pistol and commanded the man to stop from about 10 feet away from behind a set of electric and barbed wire fences. When the man "continued to stomp the child," the officer fired, Singh said.

"They intervened to try and save that infant's life. They thought they could change the outcome of this thing," Singh said.

The officer's name, the number of times he fired and where the dead man was shot were not released Sunday. The officer was placed on paid administrative leave, which is departmental policy for all officer-involved shootings. He is 37, with more than six years in law enforcement, four of them with Modesto.

The toddler was rushed to Emanuel Medical Center in Turlock, where he was pronounced dead.

Authorities would not disclose the identity of the dead man or his relationship to the boy pending family notification. Singh said the boy was 12 to 24 months old, but DNA testing may be required to identify him because he was beaten beyond recognition.

"Our firefighter was doing CPR on the baby when I arrived," said Mountain View Fire Chief Kevin Blount, who was there shortly after the shooting. "It's never easy, but it's always harder with little children, especially in circumstances like this."

Confusion and spotty cell phone coverage had dozens of police scrambling through Ceres and Turlock until the location became clear. The violence, Singh said, was so graphic from the helicopter's bird's-eye view that there was no hesitation on the part of the officer, who shot the attacker dead after less than two minutes on the scene.

Dozens of law enforcement personnel, set up under giant spotlights, worked through the night trying to piece together what happened. The attacker and the little boy were traveling west, but his gold truck was parked in the wrong lane, facing oncoming traffic.

Modesto police, the Sheriff's Department and the Stanislaus County district attorney's office are investigating the officer-involved shooting.

Sheriff's personnel are investigating the baby's death.

By Sunday afternoon, the detectives had cleared out.

Short rows of fresh planted corn lined one side of the road, cows were pastured in another. The helicopter rotors washed a big dirt circle into the green pasture. Two long, dark bloodstains streaked the road.

Neighbors mingled on the fence line of nearby Thomas Dairy asking the same questions as investigators: Was the attacker on drugs? Mentally ill? All of the above? Why did it happen here?

Isabelle Thomas, who lives a few hundred yards from the scene, was working at Emanuel Medical Center, a nurse in the surgical unit, when her son called her with word something bad had happened. Soon she heard of the little boy who died 500 yards from her front door.

"I couldn't go to sleep. I couldn't rest without seeing it and all that blood. I couldn't believe all that blood," she said.

Sunday morning, she watched a tow truck haul away the pickup. The inside cab, she said, was smeared with blood. A rosary swung from the rearview mirror.

"I've been here 53 years," said her brother, John Thomas, "and I've never seen anything like this. I've never seen anything like this before."

Not a LEO

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    So which drug(s) do you guys think they'll find in his system?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Too bad none of the initial witnesses were armed. That woulda been one dead MF if I had stumbled onto something like that and he wouldn't stop.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    So which drug(s) do you guys think they'll find in his system?
    Meth

PCP

marijuana

probably drunk too
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I am truly without words, I could hardly read that article.

Hannah87 is offline Giggidy... Giggidy..
    Verified LEO
    May you rest in peace Daddy and may you never hurt again. I love you and miss you and can't wait to see you again.

12/12/44- 2/26/09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information