Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

News from my neck of the woods.

Press Conference Notification
    2008-06-18

The Shelby County Sheriff’s Office will hold a press conference this afternoon Wednesday, June 18, 2008, at 2:00 p.m. The press conference will be held at the Sheriff’s Office which is located at 380 McDow Road, in Columbiana.

The purpose of the press conference will be to give a brief statement regarding the Katherine Gillespie murder investigation. For more information, go to www.ShelbySO.com and click on the “Current News” link.

For information contact Captain Ken Burchfield, Administrative Division Commander, at (205)670-6286 or through e-mail at KBurchfield@ShelbySO.com .

Update on Kerry Downs Road Death Investigation
    2008-06-18

On June 16, 2008, at approximately 9:04 p.m., the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office responded to a 911 call of an “unresponsive person” at a residence located in the 5000 block of Kerry Downs Road. While in the residence, deputies discovered a young female child deceased. The child has now been identified by the Shelby County Coroner as Katherine Helen Gillespie, 11 years of age, from Shelby County.

Sheriff’s Office investigators, with the help of the Shelby County Coroner’s Office, the Shelby County District Attorney’s Office and the Alabama Department of Forensic Science were able to establish that Katherine Gillespie’s death was the result of a homicide. Sheriff’s Office investigators have obtained an arrest warrant for Ryan Gerald Russell, 35 years of age, also from Shelby County. He is charged with Capital Murder for Gillespie’s death and has no bond set. This investigation is still ongoing and the forensic reports are preliminary findings.

Russell and Gillespie both lived in the home where the murder took place and they were related to one another. Russell remains in a local hospital where he is being treated. Upon his release from the hospital, he will be transported to the Shelby County Jail.

For information on the charge of Capital Murder, go to the link below and select Title13A Criminal Code, Chapter 5 Punishments and Sentences, and Section 40 Capital Offenses -http://www.legislature.state.al.us/CodeofAlabama/1975/coatoc.htm .

Anyone with information about this crime, or any other unreported crime, is urged to contact the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office directly at (205)669-4181, through the Secret Witness line at (205)669-9116 or through our website at www.ShelbySO.com by clicking on the “Report Criminal Activity” link. Anyone reporting information will remain anonymous.

To view a Shelby County inmate’s picture, their charges and bond amounts, go to www.ShelbySO.com and click on the “Inmate Listing” link at the bottom left. You will have to select current inmates or inmates released within the last 30 days. An inmate’s information will not be available until he has been booked into the facility.

For information contact Captain Ken Burchfield, Administrative Division Commander, at (205)670-6286 or through e-mail at KBurchfield@ShelbySO.com .
    Death Investigation
    2008-06-17

At approximately 9:04 p.m. on Monday June 16, 2008, Shelby County 911 operators received a call of an unresponsive person at a residence in the 5000 block of Kerry Downs Road, which is located in northern Shelby County. Shelby County Sheriff’s deputies and North Shelby Fire and Rescue personnel were dispatched to the residence. The Hoover Police Department also responded to assist Sheriff’s deputies. Upon entry into the home, Sheriff’s deputies discovered a young female child deceased and attempted to locate the adult resident. Based on witness statements and from what the deputies observed they determined that the adult resident was possibly located in a room that was locked from the inside.

The home was secured by the deputies and police officers present and the Sheriff’s Office’s Tactical Response Unit (TRU) was dispatched to the residence. Several members of Hoover’s Special Response Team (SRT) were already at the residence. After attempts to contact anyone inside the home failed, TRU members entered the home and discovered one adult male, alive but unresponsive. Paramedics immediately began treating the resident and he was transported by ambulance to a local hospital, where he remains.

Shelby County Sheriff’s investigators and the Shelby County Coroner’s Office are conducting an investigation into the death of the child and that investigation is ongoing at this time. No further information will be released at this time pending notification of next of kin.

This press release will be updated as more information becomes available or when criminal charges are brought in this matter.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2008/06/...arold_gir.html

Shelby County DA: 11-year-old Inverness girl's death was 'heinous, atrocious and cruel'

Posted by Walter Bryant -- The Birmingham News June 18, 2008 3:14 PM

Shelby County District Attorney Robby Owens called the death of an 11-year-old girl "heinous, atrocious and cruel" at a press conference today at the sheriff's office in Columbiana.
    Special
    Katherine Helen Gillespie
    Authorities found Katherine Helen Gillespie on Monday night at 5048 Kerry Downs Road after responding to a 911 call. The Shelby County Sheriff's Office today charged 35-year-old Ryan Gerald Russell, a relative of the girl who was living at the house with her, with capital murder.
    Owens said the charge is capital murder because the child was under the age of 12. He did not elaborate on what he called the cruelty of the crime but said other details will come out in a trial.
    Chief Deputy John Samaniego said Russell would be jailed when he is released from Shelby Baptist Medical Center. Authorities took him there Monday night after finding him unconscious in the house on Kerry Downs Road, which he rents.

Ryan Gerald Russell, charged with capital murder

Samaniego said that according to Russell's relatives, Russell was Katherine's legal guardian. Samaniego said he did not know how Russell became her legal guardian. Russell has had some traffic charges including DUIs, Samaniego said.
    A hit-and-run accident Monday night near Russell's house may not have been connected to the death. The preliminary theory is the hit-and-run and the death had nothing to do with each other, Samaniego said.
    Katherine was "a bright, straight-A student" who had just finished the fifth grade at Oak Mountain Intermediate School, Principal Linda Maxwell said today. There were no apparent problems the girl was facing, Maxwell said. She was in the gifted program.
    Katherine had been at the school for a year, Maxwell said. Records show she came from Boaz. The school's crisis team is providing counseling to any of Katherine's classmates who request it, said Shelby County school spokeswoman Cindy Warner.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    My God, what is it with the sick criminals these days? And they take lives that show much promise or haven't even had the chance to live. Yet another child has died at the hands of their parent or guardian. Put this guy in with the general prison population, please!

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Some on the comments at the end of the story in the Birmingham News really piss me off to no end. Scroll past the story and you will see what I mean.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    That is just so awful
    what a beautiful little girl
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Sounds like a very ugly story is going to unfold.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Some on the comments at the end of the story in the Birmingham News really piss me off to no end. Scroll past the story and you will see what I mean.

Link didn't work for some reason. Here is the link from the first post.

I think I know what you mean. "Information will be released on a need to know basis and right now at this point in time, you don't need to know."

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Thread Information