Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Kate is offline Corporal

My township and tasers make the news

Chitwood tests a Taser - on himself (Click to see video)

Source

Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood took the hit - and survived.

In front of a half-dozen TV cameras, the 64-year-old chief took a 1,200-volt charge from a Taser, an electrical stun gun used by police.

His head whipped back, his back arched, his mouth opened wide, and he yelled out a word not fit for print.

"It knocks you out, it hurts," Chitwood said once he was back on his feet.

The Police Department will soon have four of the weapons in the field, hence the experiment. Chitwood explained: "I wanted to see the impact it would be on an individual."

Initially, the Tasers will be deployed when there is a potential for violence, Chitwood said. At a cost of about $800 per weapon, only supervisors will carry them.

Chitwood was stunned in the back, as he was supported by two officers. After they lowered their writhing boss gently to floor, he lay face down for about 10 seconds recovering.

"My whole body just trembled. I lost control of everything," said Chitwood later.

When a Taser is fired, two small probes trailing wires shoot out and deliver a five-second electrical charge. The shock can penetrate through clothing. The range is about 35 feet.

Pain is only part of the effect, according to William P. Bozeman, an associate professor at Wake Forest University School of Medicine, who did a study on the health effects of the weapons that will soon be released.

The jolt causes all the muscles to contract, which most people cannot overcome, said Bozeman, who is also an emergency-room physician. "It makes it effective for the police."

Bozeman's study looked at 1,000 cases in six police departments across the country over a two-year period. In 99.7 percent of the cases, there were no injuries or only minor injuries such as abrasions. But Bozeman cautioned that people have suffered serious head injuries.

Amnesty International has recorded 300 deaths in the United States since 2001 where suspects who had been subdued with a Taser later died in police custody. Dalia Hashad, director of the Domestic Human Rights Program for Amnesty International, said in a "small percentage" of the cases, the coroners have found that the Taser was a contributing factor.

Chitwood said his department is aware of the risks, and safety guidelines have been developed for the officers.

Chitwood said the weapon has been found to reduce injuries to officers in the field by reducing physical encounters with violent subjects.

According to the Taser International Web site, the Cincinnati Police Department saw a 56 percent reduction of injuries to police officers and 35 percent decrease in injuries to suspects during the first year the department used the weapons.

In Philadelphia, all districts have the stun guns available for use by supervisors.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    glad they have them now.. they are helpful
    but i dont see what the big deal is about that guy taking the ride.
    We all have to do it to be certified,
    well alligator clips or full it is a choice.
    I took the full ride so I could articulate it better in court.

According to the Taser International Web site, the Cincinnati Police Department saw a 56 percent reduction of injuries to police officers and 35 percent decrease in injuries to suspects during the first year the department used the weapons.

I think the above statement says it all. Screw the rest. lol

Supervisors only huh? hmm... I don't like that idea very much but not much I can do about it.
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    More than likely part of it was to show a 64-year-old could take it and be okay.

In my county Tasers are a no-no.
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    We have had them for approx three years......
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Tasers, bean bag shotguns, chemical sprays, pepper ball paint ball guns, etc. Pretty soon we'll all be disarmed.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Tasers, bean bag shotguns, chemical sprays, pepper ball paint ball guns, etc. Pretty soon we'll all be disarmed.
    Don't be too sure about that, there are some Control policies where you have to touch the offender before using those items (like OC).
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

Kate is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by gozling View Post
    glad they have them now.. they are helpful
    4 tasers aren't enough in my township - not with all the savages roaming around. Section 8 was introduced years ago and that was the end of what was once a nice place to reside. Hell, 40 tasers wouldn't be enough!

but i dont see what the big deal is about that guy taking the ride.
    We all have to do it to be certified
    Oooops, my bad! Did I not mention that Mike Chitwood is the biggest media whore out there and LOVES to see himself on TV every chance he gets.

While Chitwood has done some good things for Upper Darby, there are others that can do better and are much more well respected. Oh, yeah, and much more humble too.

Upper Darby Police Department

Last edited by Kate; 06-19-08 at 02:25 PM. Reason: grammar

oldtrooper is offline Rookie
    I was 66 when I took the full ride with the probes. I went first in the fist training sesson for one reason only, I have never ordered any officer ,trooper or police, to do anything that I haven't done or will do. I can't stad public officials that are publicity hounds.

There was local media coverage mostly to let the population know what was coming but the fact that I took the first ride did not appear in the news. There were pictures of some of the officers taking the ride. Like I said that was not the reason I took the first ride. The most amazing thing that took place that day was the reporter for the local paper who was covering the story asked "Can I do that to see how it is?" We certainly obliged, and we have not had any negative press about Tasers to date.

All 35 officers here are issued Tasers and it's been just over a year since they went on the street. This has always been a scrappy little town. It is located on the main line railroad between Chicago and New Orleans and in the 20's and 30's came to be know as "Little Chicago". Well since Mr. Taser hit the streets fighting the police has practically come to a halt.

Cool Breeze is offline 303rd Logistics
    Verified LEO
    "Sir, please stop begin combative until a Sgt arrives with a taser."

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    +1000

Usually, supervisors don't get there until everything is under control. How about issuing guns to supervisors only? It makes about as much sense.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    LMAO exactly!!!!
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Dustoff262 is offline Retirement date: December 29, 2019
    Verified LEO
    What the public at large fails to understand is that Tasers saves lives. It stops people dead in their tracks and allows us to subdue the subject. In NYC, there was a study done about tasers, and as usual, a movement is created to stop its use because its "Inhumane". The liberals cant differentiate between victim and victimizer.

When a police officer is fighting for his life, trying to secure his weapon with one hand, operate his radio (his lifeline) with the other, and fending off the perp with what ever other appendages he/she can muster, this fight can be over in a matter of minutes, with the police officer stripped of his gun and laying in a pool of his own blood. Tasers gives us the ability to take the perp down before he closes the gap on us.

Police officers have been known to draw their weapon and shoot the perp they were fighting because they knew they were losing the fight, and had to stop the perp before he stripped him of his gun. Many a cop has been severely injured and werent able to return to the job.

Amnesty International doesnt have one person that has actually done patrol, and fought hand to hand (in any environment). No matter how physically fit you are, a physical fight can zap the strength out of you.

I will use my taser as deemed appropriate by the situation until the Phaser comes out that I can set to stun, melt, vaporize.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- George Orwell

Kate is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustoff262 View Post
    I will use my taser as deemed appropriate by the situation until the Phaser comes out that I can set to stun, melt, vaporize.
    LOL!

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    1,200 volts? Wuss we did 50,000 for 5 seconds and yes I took the full ride also.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Oooops, my bad! Did I not mention that Mike Chitwood is the biggest media whore out there and LOVES to see himself on TV every chance he gets.

Hey Katey he sounds like a typical Politician looking to toot his own horn in the eyes of the media, too bad he did not shite his pants while being tasered. LOL!!

Great Points Dustoff, you hit it right on the head!

Originally Posted by Cool Breeze

+1000

Usually, supervisors don't get there until everything is under control. How about issuing guns to supervisors only? It makes about as much sense.

Was the same in NYC, patrol supervisors carried the tasers, along with ESU. If there is a radio run for an EDP (emotionally disturbed person) central dispatched the sector, patrol supervisor and ESU. For the most part the sector always got their first, assess the situation.

Thread Information