Welcome to the APBWeb.
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Shaq stripped of his badge!

Awww...poor guy.

PHOENIX (AP)—Shaquille O’Neal will lose his special deputy’s badge in Maricopa County because of language he used in a rap video that mocks former teammate Kobe Bryant.

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said the Phoenix Suns center’s use of a racially derogatory word and other foul language left him no choice. Arpaio made Shaq a special deputy in 2006 and promoted him to colonel of his largely ceremonial posse later that year.

“I want his two badges back,” Arpaio told The Associated Press on Tuesday. “Because if any one of my deputies did something like this, they’re fired. I don’t condone this type of racial conduct.”
    Shaq was seen in a video posted on the celebrity news and gossip Web site TMZ.com rapping that “Kobe couldn’t do without me.” O’Neal skewers the Lakers’ star, with whom he won three straight NBA titles from 2000-2002 while with Los Angeles, for not being able to win a championship without him.

“I was freestyling. That’s all. It was all done in fun. Nothing serious whatsoever,” O’Neal told ESPN.com Monday. A call to the Suns on Tuesday seeking comment from O’Neal was referred to his public relations firm, which didn’t immediately respond.

Arpaio, who describes himself as “America’s Toughest Sheriff” and is best known for feeding jail inmates green bologna, clothing them in pink underwear, and making them work on chain gangs, said he didn’t expect his actions would teach Shaq a lesson. But he hoped he learns that as a role model who wants to someday be a full-time sheriff, he needs to know his words matter.

“Maybe I’m old fashioned, but I don’t think that either conduct should be out there publicly, even if media wasn’t there,” Arpaio said.
    O’Neal previously served as a reserve officer with the Miami Beach Police Department while playing for the Miami Heat. He also volunteered with the Tempe Police Department after being traded to the Suns in February.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    welcome to the world of being held to a higher standard
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    + 100 to being held to a higher standard
    But Shaq was having fun and Sheriff Joe is a media whore and decided to jump on this to grab his 10 minutes of national news coverage.

Shaq is also a reserve deputy for a local sheriff in these parts and has done alot for internet child predators. At least he isnt out getting arrested all the time for carrying his homies and some weed with a gun that doesnt belong to anyone.

In 2008 a pro athlete that gets bad press for bad language is about as significant as a senator that admits to cheating on his wife.
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    I didn't mean my comment to be a bash against Shaq.. sorry if that came out wrong.. it was more of a welcome to the world of anything you do is going to be taken the wrong way... joking or not...
    Shaq gave me a cup of coffee one time while I was directing traffic on an off duty detail at a school where his kid goes in Miami... he is a very nice guy
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Arpiao, I believe, has become a victim of his own ego. Yeah, maybe Shaq shouldn't have done it, but most Sheriffs/Chiefs I know would have first talked to their deputy before giving them the axe.

I have a feeling if Arpiao did fire one of his own deputies for doing the same thing, they'd pitch a fit because they weren't written up first.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=yLLIUr-NePw

0:39:

"thats like a white boy tryin to be more ni**a than me"

yeah let some deputy try that and see if he didnt get fired in .191102 seconds. higher standards indeed.
    There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...

Canada, huh? Almost made it...

*DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ni**er is a derogatory term used to refer to dark-skinned people, mostly those of Black African ancestry. As an English variant of negro, it was once in common usage, but in recent times, in most contexts, it is considered a racial slur.[

The word should be struck from the English language. Anyone using it outside of testimony should be charged with a hate crime.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by OffDuty View Post
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=yLLIUr-NePw

0:39:

"thats like a white boy tryin to be more ni**a than me"
    That is what is more commonly known these days as a wigger or white ni**er.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigger

Wigger (alternatively spelled wigga, whigger or whigga) is a pejorative slang term for a person of European descent who allophilically emulates mannerisms, slang, and fashions stereotypically associated with urban African Americans and urban Black British and Caribbean culture, especially in relation to hip hop culture and British Grime/Garage scene.[1]

The term most likely stems from a portmanteau of the word white and the derogatory term nigger. The word is considered offensive by some because of its similarity to ni**er in addition to reflecting stereotypical notions about urban blacks.

The phenomenon of white people adopting stereotypical black mannerisms, slang, and apparel has appeared in several generations since slavery was abolished in the western world. The concept has been documented in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom and other white-majority countries. An early form of this was the white negro in the jazz and swing music scenes of the 1920s and 1930s; as examined in the Norman Mailer essay, "The White Negro: Superficial Reflections on the Hipster"." It was later seen in the Zoot suiter of the 1930s and 1940s; the hipster of the 1940s; and the beatnik and rock and roller of the 1950s.
    Interestingly enough that indigenous Australians or Aboriginees have also been refered to as niggers.

In Australia

In Australia, though the word's meaning is generally understood, it is now rarely used by urban whites in any context; when referring to indigenous Australians, the casual terms Abo and the more derogatory boong or coon are used in its place. Ni**er is sometimes used amongst working class Australians, when used in a casual sense between friends or work colleagues of both white and mixed race. It is generally used in imitation of American slang e.g. "Wassup, my ni**er." Black, Aboriginal, or Polynesian people may use the term to greet each other. It would not be acceptable to use the term to a stranger or casual acquaintance.

However, ni**er has seen common use in rural or semi-frontier districts. In this context, the usage was British colonial, that is, applying generically to dark-skinned people of any origin (cf. Rudyard Kipling). This has led to controversy, since Australian Aborigines have started to take the term strongly to heart, in both the pejorative and revisionist senses (see below under Names of places and things).
    Then there are Sand Ni**ers which are people of Arab descent or blacks that live in the middle east.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sand_ni**er

sand ni**er (plural sand niggers)
    1. (derogatory, offensive) A person of Arabian descent.

Due to the current definition of this slang term and the connotations it brings with it. I feel that all terms related to the word "ni**er" (such as these mentioned above) should be stricken from the English language.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

RoJo is offline Warrior Class
    It should never be ok to use that word no matter what your skin color is. I dont believe anyone has a right to use this term just because of their cultural attachment. The "N" word or any of its variations. No one has the exculsive right to be offensive, thats not what is meant by the 1st amendment in my mind. Im not Mr. Goody 2 shoes or anything but it is offensive and meant to be. Obviously when used for testifing in a case or to describe someones actual statements then it should be used to establish that fact. We as LEO's are held to a higher standard and rightly so. The sad and even frustrating thing is that everytime law enforcement receives bad press the armchair quarterbacks come out of the woodwork with new and amazing ways to "control the cops" "we need revision in our departments". These same people have no idea what we do. Lt.Col Grossman has it right, The sheep only want the sheepdog when the wolf is after them otherwise they have no use for the sheepdog.

It sounds like Shaq has done some good thing for law enforcement and if he's been on all of those departments he should know the standard. Although a talking to may have been more appropriate that being fired.
    Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.

Omar Bradley

Thread Information