Welcome to the APBWeb.
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Louisiana legislator pay increase

Advocate Opinion page staff
    Published: Jun 18, 2008 - Page: 6B - UPDATED: 12:05 a.m.
    Our Views: Veto raises for legislators
    With a 20-18 vote in the Senate, law makers have sent
    Gov. Bobby Jindal a bill raising their pay by too much, too soon.
    It is the governor’s duty to veto this legislative pay raise.
    He ought to do so on the grounds that the raise is too much. Doubling legislators’ pay goes far beyond the recommendations of the nonpartisan Compensation Review Commission, which in Gov. Kathleen Blanco’s term in office recommended a 12 percent pay raise for cost of living.
    Had lawmakers embraced that change, or something close to it, they might have made a convincing case for it. Instead, the Senate proposed tripling legislators’ base pay, only to see the House cut it to doubling the pay, roughly. That has not changed the sense of public outrage at this grab.
    The problem is not only that the raise is too much. It also is too soon.
    Jindal, as a candidate for governor, said raises should take effect in officials’ next term in office to avoid the taint of self-dealing. In campaign literature, Jindal advocated prohibiting “legislators from giving themselves pay raises that take effect before the subsequent election.”
    Had lawmakers taken a reasonable route — a modest pay raise, taking effect when a new Legislature takes office — there would have been complaints. But fair-minded people probably would have supported the idea.
    Now Jindal is governor. He says he still supports the principle that pay raises should begin when a new term in office begins. But he says, out of deference to the Legislature’s status as an independent branch of government, that he will not veto the legislative pay raise.
    If the size of the raise isn’t sufficient to warrant a veto, the inclusion of a provision to make future raises automatic demands that Jindal veto this bill. By tying future raises to the Consumer Price Index, legislators remove a level of accountability. They will not have to justify their actions for future raises.
    The governor is rightly criticized for his position. He’s against it, except when he’s asked to do something? A veto is a perfectly permissible action.
    The governor bluntly said he feared for the outcome of his legislative program if he denied the raise.
    The pay-raise bill for “reform” legislation? That’s a false choice, and he knows it. Only a weak governor would make such a bargain.
    We reject it. If the governor still stands on principle, let him act on last year’s much-vaunted calls for reform and principle.

The Senate voted 20-18 to go along with the House pay raise version passed on Friday. It now goes to the governor’s desk for his signature. The Legislative decision would increase the pay for the average legislator to $37,500. This would be more than a one hundred percent increase from the current salary. Governor Jindal said he would not veto the legislation. The raise is scheduled to go into affect on July 1.
    Governor Jindal issued the following statement after the vote, but is not going to veto the legislation, which means that the pay raise is final and will become law:
    “Today, Governor Bobby Jindal released the following statement on the pay raise vote in the Senate:
    "I'm very sorry to see the legislature do this. More than doubling legislative pay is not reasonable, and the public has been very clear on that.
    "I will keep my pledge to let them govern themselves and make their own decisions as a separate branch of government. I will not let anything, even this clearly excessive pay raise, stop us from moving </SPAN>

"One thing is for sure, I will not bail them out on this and do their job for them. I will not veto this as it is very clear to everyone that the result would be a grinding halt to the tremendous reforms and progress our state is making. I will give them no excuse to stop doing the people's business, and I will not allow the momentum of our state to stop over this or anything else."

The bill passed 20 to 18 with President Joel Chaisson voting for the raise.

It appears our Govenor is doing, or not doing this, in order to have his ethics agenda survive. There are a lot of people upset with him for not standing up to the legislature on this. Politics is an ugly business, especially in Louisiana. I still like the guy even though I don't approve of him not vetoing the bill. It's still early in his term, I hope he can survive this.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    It pizzes me off that they have the funds for THIER $20K-plus pay raise IMMEDIATELY, but can't find the funding for our measley $900 supplemental increase until NEXT year.

It also royally chaps my hiney how they attempt to justify doubling their pay for what is essentially a part-time job.

Legislators - nothing more than thieves wearing suits.

I (and a whole lot of others) will be extremely dissappointed in our new Governor if he doesn't veto this.

Think I'll ask the Sheriff if WE can vote to double OUR pay. That oughta go over like a lead balloon.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Our legislature (AL) did the same thing last year. Our part time legislature makes more than this full time LEO. Funny how that works out.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    How long do La's legislators serve? I forgot.

In Texas, they only meet a couple of months every two years, usually leaving most of their work undone - We like it that way.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Good News,our governors testicles finally dropped

Jindal vetoes legislative raise

by Ed Anderson, The Times-Picayune Monday June 30, 2008, 11:17 AM

BATON ROUGE -- Gov. Bobby Jindal announced today that he has vetoed the legislative pay raise.
    After days of saying he would not reject the unpopular measure, Jindal said this morning that he had changed his mind.
    "I thank the people for their voice and their attention," Jindal said of the public outcry against the raise. "I am going to need your help to move this state forward. ... The voters have demanded change. . . . I made a mistake by staying out if it" originally.
    Jindal said that legislators "are going to be angry I broke my word to them" by promising to stay out of the pay raise issue. "Let them direct their anger to me and not the people of this state," Jindal said.
    The governor said that although he originally promised to refrain from injecting himself in the issue because a veto may threaten his future legislative programs, he was wrong.
    "The bottom line is that allowing this excessive legislative pay raise to become law would so significantly undercut our reform agenda and so significantly diminish the people's confidence in their own government that I cannot let it become law, so I have vetoed the bill."
    Jindal announcement came at an 11 a.m. news conference. He said he vetoed the pay raise bill "a few minutes" before the start of the meeting with the media.
    Lawmakers had voted to raise their annual base salary from $16,800 to $37,500. The raise was to go into effect Tuesday.
    Jindal was widely criticized for failing to to stop the raise before it was passed and his initial refusal to veto it. He said he had promised lawmakers that he would not use his veto, but he also pledged during his gubernatorial campaign last year to prohibit an immediate legislative pay raise.
    The governor and five lawmakers already have been targeted with recall petitions, a clear sign of voters' unhappiness. Organizers of the Jindal recall announced today that they are pulling the plug on the effort now that the governor has issued the veto.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Cool, you guys have a politician with ethics. How in hell did that happen?? I'm envious!
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Well, now that the Gov. has saved the state a few million dollars, maybe he can get our supplemental increase to go into effect this year instead of July, 2009.

Yeah RIIIIGHT!

Well at least he finally grew a pair.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

dapples is offline Swamp Kitty
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Cool, you guys have a politician with ethics. How in hell did that happen?? I'm envious!
    Having a recall petition going on while you are a prospective VP running mate for McCain wouldnt look good on your resume'......enough said?

WAY TO GO PEOPLE OF LA!!!!!!!!

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by dapples View Post
    Having a recall petition going on while you are a prospective VP running mate for McCain wouldnt look good on your resume'......enough said?

WAY TO GO PEOPLE OF LA!!!!!!!!
    Good point - Behind every decision is the apparent reason, and the real reason.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    Good point - Behind every decision is the apparent reason, and the real reason.
    Charlie,you arent as far removed from La. politics as you would think

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm still a fan of his. However I can only hope his delay in the veto until the last day was to ensure there would be no interference with his agenda. Of course the real reason is probably the fall out from the recall threat. Oh well at least the right thing was done.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thread Information