Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Kate is offline Corporal

Police killing suspect's jail death ruled homicide

UPPER MARLBORO, Md. - The death of a 19-year-old found slumped in his cell a day after he was jailed on charges of running over and killing a police officer has been ruled a homicide, authorities said.

The Maryland Medical Examiner ruled Monday that Ronnie White's death in Prince George's County Correctional Center the previous day was from asphyxiation and strangulation.

Maryland State Police and the FBI are investigating the death. The FBI is focusing on possible civil rights violations.

Prince George's County Executive Jack Johnson said at a news conference Monday, "If we have vigilante justice, our society will fall apart."

Officials said seven guards had access to White at the time of his death, as did an unspecified number of supervisors. Authorities are also investigating whether anyone from the outside had access to the inmate.

Johnson said that he believes the death was "unrelated to any act by the Prince George's County Police Department."

Curtis Knowles, president of the corrections officers' union, said he was working that day but not in the unit. Officers involved in monitoring the inmate told Knowles that they came to feed White, tapped on the window and yelled through a slot in the door, but White didn't reply. They went in and shook White, but he didn't respond, Knowles said.

Knowles also cautioned that the investigation needs to take its course before any conclusions are reached.

"We're not going to speculate. We're going to depend on the FBI and the state police," Knowles said.

June White-Dillard, head of the Prince George's branch of the NAACP, said that she was pleased the FBI was investigating the case but disturbed by the nature of the death of the inmate.

"No one should have had access to him that could have caused him harm," she said.

White was found on the floor of his cell at the Prince George's County jail at 10:30 a.m. Sunday with no pulse, according to officials. Jail medical staff who treated him reported no visible signs of trauma on his body, and he was declared dead an hour later at a hospital.

White had been held by himself in maximum security since he arrived at the jail around 12:30 a.m. Saturday morning.

He was charged with first-degree murder in the death Friday of 39-year-old Prince George's County Cpl. Richard Findley during a traffic stop in Laurel. Findley, who was part of a team investigating car thefts, was killed after he got out of his cruiser and was dragged by a truck, which had been reported stolen. Authorities said White was driving the truck.

Prince George's County State's Attorney Glenn Ivey said Monday that his office would review the circumstances of White's death.

White was one of four people taken into custody by police after the truck was found at a nearby apartment complex shortly after Findley was killed. The three others were questioned and released, according to Officer Henry Tippett, a county police spokesman.

White received medical and psychological assessments that jail officials said did not uncover any problems. He was placed in a maximum security cell because he was considered a "high profile offender."

Guards checked him every half hour. At 10:15 a.m. he was sitting on the side of his bunk and was alert, according to a timeline provided by jail officials. But fifteen minutes later, he was found unresponsive.

There have been several problems recently at the county jail, including a former police corporal convicted of murdering a man who was found with a handcuffs key. The county's director of corrections was fired in early June when four handguns went missing from the jail armory.

According to court records, White pleaded guilty to illegal possession of a firearm last year, and in another case, to drug possession. In 2006, he was charged with first-degree assault and armed robbery, but the case was dropped, records show. Last November, he was sentenced to more than six months in prison, but it's not clear when he was released.

Findley was a 10-year veteran of the county police and was also a volunteer firefighter in the county, according to Vince Canales, president of the police union. A viewing was scheduled for Wednesday, followed by a funeral Thursday in Beltsville. Findley is survived by a wife and two young daughters.

"He was a wonderful person," said Al Schwartz, chief of the Beltsville Volunteer Fire Department where Findley served for 20 years. "He could make you smile in a heartbeat."

Source

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    While I have no sympathy for a POS cop-killer. I will say the next-worse form of criminal is a cop who breaks the law.

I'm not going to loose sleep over one less cop-killer. But the fact that we have murderers wearing badges in this day and age is a thought that would keep me up at night.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm not jumping to any conclusions here about what caused this guys death. People commit suicide all the time in custody. I'm definitely not losing sleep over this piece of shit dying that's for sure. If a guard did something wrong I'm sure it will come out and they'll pay for it.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, I guess my last post made it sound like a jailer may have been involved. I'm pretty open-minded so it's entirely possible another inmate could have killed him to make everyone THINK the jailers did it. Or, could be, the M.E. that did the exam made a mistake it was a suicide after all.

I guess time will tell.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Irrespective of his crime, the POS deserved to be held in safe custody until he faced a jury of his peers and was lawfully tried for his contemptuous deed. I mourn the officer! I mourn the agency that will fall to the carrion press. I mourn the fact that justice took a downfall in being carried out in a lawful manner.

God bless the officer and his family. God protect the community from the ravages of a long hot summer.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

RoJo is offline Warrior Class
    A very sad story. My prayer to the Officers family. Sounds like was lost another good Cop. As for the bad guy, Who knows what happen. I am sure the investigation will reveal all. I just hope another good Cop doesn't go down too.
    Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.

Omar Bradley

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Hopefully we will find out more details on this. I saw an article similar to this and was going to post it but didn't think there was enough information.

I guess what I was hoping for was that the POS committed suicide or met his demise through an act of God for doing what he did by killing the cop.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Thread Information