Welcome to the APBWeb.
    deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO

Congratulations Gordon Family

I hadn't seen anything posted on the site regarding this event. Congratulations, thoughs and prayers to the Gordon Family...

CHICAGO (WLS) -- Michael Gordon served his city and his country. He was a Chicago police officer and he served in Bosnia as a member of the U.S. Army. He was killed in the line of duty in Chicago back in 2004. Thursday, he received long overdue honors for his military service.
    Michael P. Gordon was 30 when he died four years ago next month. He had young children who never really got the chance to know their dad. For the Gordons, a law enforcement family, acquiring Mike's military service ribbons and medals was very important -- and, as it turned out, not easily achieved.
    Gordon, as a kid, wanted to serve in the military -- which he did. And he wanted to be a cop, which he was. Four years ago, Chicago Policeman Michael Gordon died when a drunk driver ran a red light and broadsided his squad car. Mike was a husband and father of four, including a daughter who -- at the time -- was six months old. For their grandchildren, Mike's parents sought the military commendations that their son was due for his service with the 82nd Airborne in Bosnia and Korea.
    "We want something of his life. We have some videos and things like that, but how hard is it to try and say who you're father was?" said Carol Gordon, mother.

In the quest for their son's medals, the Gordon's learned a bit about red tape, and military recordkeeping.
    "They couldn't find the DD2-14. I mailed it to them. Not good enough. They had to have an original. I sent them a death certificate and this went on and on. And then my wife said, you're supposed to write your senator," said Bob Gordon, father.
    "At one point they even denied to us there were any records, and we stuck with it," said Senator Dick Durbin.
    With the senator's office involved, the records were found, and the medals and ribbons came -- 15 of them -- acknowledging commendation and conduct. They were presented Thursday at the Gold Star Families Memorial and Park where the name Michael P. Gordon is among the many officers who have died in the line of duty. That, and the medals, will help some children know a father.
    "We're not trying to be out there for anything other than the fact that we want Mike's memory alive and to do some things that reflect the kind of life he had," said
    The Gordon family helped work for a change in the law after Michael's death. If someone is driving drunk and they have no license or insurance, it is a felony today. It used to be a misdemeanor.
    The Gordons have also set up a memorial foundation in their son's name to help other law enforcement families in need.
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Michael Gordon, Rest in Peace. Got your well deserved Honors, Sorry your family had to fight red tape to get it, it is not bad enough they are hurting from you leaving them so soon in life. Hope it this comforts them, you will always be a part of them.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    His family deserve medals also for the work they did passing the law changing it to a felony and for the memorial foundation they created in his name. With a family like his, it's easy to see why he was the man he was.

Rest in Peace Michael, your family will keep your memory alive.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    There is someone here on this forum that honors Michael Gordon in their signature and for the life of me, I can't remember who that might be. My apologies to whoever that is. I swear, I just saw one of their posts the other day. Perhaps they will chime in here.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Thread Information