Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Soldier whose photo touched many dies in N.C.

During the first week of the war in Iraq in 2003, a Military Times photographer captured the image of Army Pfc. Joseph Patrick Dwyer as he raced through a battle zone clutching a tiny Iraqi boy named Ali.

"Doc" Dwyer's concerned face appeared on the pages of newspapers across the country. Dwyer, 31, died June 28 in Pinehurst, N.C., after years of struggling with mental disorders. During that time, he spiraled into substance abuse and depression, and he found himself in trouble with the law.

"Of course he was looked on as a hero here," said Capt. Floyd Thomas of the Pinehurst Police. Still, "we've been dealing with him for over a year."

The day he died, Dwyer called a taxi company for a ride to the hospital, Thomas said. When the driver arrived, "they had a conversation through the door (of Dwyer's home)," Thomas said, but Dwyer would not let the driver in. The driver asked Dwyer if he should call the police. Dwyer said yes. When the police arrived, they asked him if they should break down the door. He again said yes. Thomas told TheFayetteville (N.C.) Observer that bottles of prescription medicine were found near Dwyer.

Dwyer served with the 3rd Squadron, 7th Cavalry Regiment as the unit headed into Baghdad at the beginning of the war. Only four of the 21 days in which the regiment pushed forward lacked gunfire, he later told Newsday. The day before Warren Zinn snapped his photo for Military Times, Dwyer's Humvee had been hit by a rocket.

About 500 Iraqis were killed during those days, and Dwyer watched as Ali's family near the village of Al Faysaliyah was caught in the crossfire. He grabbed the 4-year-old from his father and sprinted with him to safety. Zinn captured the moment on his camera. The image went across the United States, and Dwyer found himself hailed as a hero.

He did not see it that way.

"Really, I was just one of a group of guys," he later told Military Times. "I wasn't standing out more than anyone else."

According to Dwyer, he was just one of many who wanted to help after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. He'd grown up in New York, and after the World Trade Center towers came crashing down, he went to see a recruiter.

"I knew I had to do something," he said.

Just before he left for Iraq, he got married. When he returned after three months in Iraq, he exhibited the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder. Like many other combat vets, he didn't seek help.

In restaurants, he sat with his back to the wall. He avoided crowds. He stayed away from friends. He abused inhalants, he told Newsday. In 2005, he and his family talked with Newsday to try to help other servicemembers who might need help. He talked with the paper from a psychiatric ward at Fort Bliss in El Paso, where he was committed after his first run-in with the police.

In October 2005, he thought there were Iraqis outside his window in El Paso. When he heard a noise, he started shooting. Three hours later, police enticed him to come out, and no one was injured.

Soldier whose photo touched many dies in N.C.
    By Kelly Kennedy Army Times

http://www.usatoday.com/news/militar...q_N.htm?csp=34

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    What a tragedy. Rest in peace Brother

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Dustoff262 is offline Retirement date: December 29, 2019
    Verified LEO
    RIP brother. Your story will continue to touch everyone who reads it.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- George Orwell

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    So many have difficulty dealing with the real world after the horrors of war. It seems to me he was crying out for help for over a year and no one listened. Maybe in the course of a day, we should stop and listen when someone we are familiar with suddenly starts to act differently. Maybe "Doc"'s spiral downward and death will serve as a wake up call and not have been in vain, maybe in his death like in his life, he will save the life of another.

Rest in peace Pfc. Dwyer.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    Rest in Peace. What a sad story. Thoughts and prayers for the family
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

Whitepaw is offline Student of Life
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    God Speed Brother, see on the Parade Field.
    "God Bless America"

"I have no words of wisdom, therefore I listen..."

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Unhappy

It's such a tragedy that the victims of PTSD suffer like that, many in silence until something snaps - In spite of the fact that we know a lot more about PTSD today than we did back in the days of the World Wars, Vietnam & Korea.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    It's such a tragedy that the victims of PTSD suffer like that, many in silence until something snaps - In spite of the fact that we know a lot more about PTSD today than we did back in the days of the World Wars, Vietnam & Korea.
    I wonder too, if today's soldiers have the support system that previous soldiers had.

Since Viet Nam, the transition has been away from "career" military. Young soldiers are no longer being led by older, battle tested men. Read the paper, and you read about Sergeants who are 19 to 23 years old - not the 30 to 40 years of days past. If you don't have someone to talk to, who really "gets" what's going on in your head, it may be that much harder to get help.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Rest in Peace.

Such a sad, heartfelt story. Shame he and so many others struggle in life with PTS. Come back from fighting the war but can not fight the demons. There needs to be more done!!!!!!

depusm12 is offline Patrolman
    Verified LEO
    R.I.P. brother.
    James
    Dept of the Army Civilian Police
    "Loyalty above all else, except Honor"
    Never forget those who fell on 9/11/01
    S&W beats 4 Aces every time

Thread Information