Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Assassin has a nice ring to it.

Why does the media always quote the biggest idiot they can find? I also think this department may want to rething their ammo choice.

Six deputies put on leave after shooting Washougal driver

04:35 PM PDT on Monday, July 7, 2008

By kgw.com Staff

WASHOUGAL, Wash. -- Six deputies and officers were put on leave in the wake of a weekend shooting, authorities said.

The six were identified as Michael Adkins, Tommy Green, Charlie Ahn, Scotland Hammond, Jay Alie and Henry Scott, according to the Clark County Sheriff's Office. Putting deputies and police officers on paid leave after a shooting is routine procedure.

Meanwhile, one witness told KGW the shooting was the closest thing to an assassination attempt that he's ever seen.

“Seven people don't empty their guns into somebody without intention of killing them,” said witness Dave Langley.

Officers responding to a disturbance report ended up firing several shots at a vehicle they feared might ram them early Saturday morning, police said.

It all started just after 2 a.m., when Camas and Washougal officers were dispatched to a disturbance in the 20700 block of SE Evergreen Highway. Authorities said a Ford Bronco with two men and one woman inside left the scene and officers began following it a short time later.

The driver, later identified as Rocky Brown, 38, of Vancouver, was going the speed limit but would not pull over for police. Then, officers said the driver pulled over near the intersection of 58th Street and 199th Avenue and the two passengers got out.

But Brown took off again and police followed. Eventually, police said the Bronco turned around and headed right for them. The driver headed directly at deputies and officers who said they then fired multiple gun shots at the vehicle.

But even this did not stop the driver. Police said he managed to negotiate around the patrol cars and continued westbound heading directly back to where the officers were still dealing with the passengers.

“Fearing that the vehicle was going to run over the officers and the passengers officers fired at the vehicle. The vehicle came to a stop and the driver got out,” Sgt. Scott Schanaker said. “The driver refused to obey commands by the officers however, was ultimately taken into custody without further incident.”

Rocky Brown and his mother did not want to go on camera, but they told KGW he never intended to elude police. In fact, they said he called dispatch to tell police where he was heading.

Brown was transported to South West Washington Medical Center where he was treated overnight and released. Police have not yet determined what charges Brown may face.

The Clark County Sheriff's Office Major Crimes Unit, the Vancouver Police Major Crimes Unit, Camas Police Detectives, and Washougal Police Detectives are investigating.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    What a load of horseshit. 'Wasn't trying to elude' my left asscheek.

I would suggest all involved officers and deputies spend some time at the range while they're on paid leave.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    it is not easy to shoot at a person in a moving vehilce plus with the stress of thinking you or your partners fixing to get ran over. also the front windshield is angled which can deflect the path that the bullet is traveling. i'm gald the officers are ok. what gets me is that they don't know what charges they are going to file.

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    it is not easy to shoot at a person in a moving vehilce plus with the stress of thinking you or your partners fixing to get ran over. also the front windshield is angled which can deflect the path that the bullet is traveling. i'm gald the officers are ok.
    +1
    Monday morning quarterbacking

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    “Seven people don't empty their guns into somebody without intention of killing them,” said witness Dave Langley.
    Stopping him, but other than that Mr. Langley is pretty quick on the uptake.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    You guys all know I didn't mean it like that. My main point was the nutbag didn't deserve to walk away from it. Suspension of any kind, even paid ones, are brutal to the officers. Essentially, I hope all the guys are back to work ASAP with no problems resulting from this incident. I also hope that the idiot gets the whole library thrown at him, not just the book.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    You guys all know I didn't mean it like that. My main point was the nutbag didn't deserve to walk away from it. Suspension of any kind, even paid ones, are brutal to the officers. Essentially, I hope all the guys are back to work ASAP with no problems resulting from this incident. I also hope that the idiot gets the whole library thrown at him, not just the book.
    It isn't a suspension, it is an administrative leave.

In Washington State, it ALWAYS happens when you discharge your firearm in the line of duty.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    "Paid administrative leave" while an investigation is ongoing feels a LOT like "suspension" when the press runs off at the mouth like this. Trial by public opinion isn't fun, and departments have let guys go just to preserve public image. I know in states with unions it's not likely to happen (and Washington is Unionized, isn't it?) but a good bit of the southeast is right to work, so it's the first feeling I get from it. My bad.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    "Paid administrative leave" while an investigation is ongoing feels a LOT like "suspension" when the press runs off at the mouth like this. Trial by public opinion isn't fun, and departments have let guys go just to preserve public image. I know in states with unions it's not likely to happen (and Washington is Unionized, isn't it?) but a good bit of the southeast is right to work, so it's the first feeling I get from it. My bad.
    I can understand why you might think that way, being from where you are.

However, here, admin leave holds no stigma and is mandated policy.

Not only are most Washington agencies unionized, but more importantly they are all civil service by law.

This means that short of committing a crime or being a persistent fuckup, you cannot be fired.

It just is not the way you portray it in the west. Police work here is considered professional, not fraternal. You don't lose your job when a new chief or Sheriff shows up, and admin leave is expected following a shooting.

The press managed to find one asshole to shoot off his mouth, and even that surprises me in that part of the State, which is largely conservative.

Only King, Pierce, and a little bit of Thurston counties are Democrat enclaves, and then only in the west side of those counties. Sadly, that comprises 60% of our population while only being 15% of our land mass.

Usually, on the dry side of the State, when the police shoot some dirtbag the community cheers.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    "Paid administrative leave"
    Time on the beach baby! Go see the shrink and off you go on vacation.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Thread Information