Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

As gas prices go up, auto deaths drop

High gas prices could turn out to be a lifesaver for some drivers. The authors of a new study say gas prices are causing driving declines that could result in a third fewer auto deaths annually, with the most dramatic drop likely to be among teen drivers.

Professors Michael Morrisey of the University of Alabama at Birmingham and David Grabowski of Harvard Medical School said they found that for every 10 percent increase in gas prices there was a 2.3 percent decline in auto deaths. For drivers ages 15 to 17, the decline was 6 percent, and for ages 18 to 21, it was 3.2 percent.

Their study looked at fatalities from 1985 to 2006, when gas prices reached about $2.50 a gallon. With gas now averaging more than $4 a gallon, Morrisey said he expects to see much greater drop — about 1,000 deaths a month.

Morrisey and Grabowski found a nearly identical relationship between gas prices and auto deaths in an earlier study that covered 1983 to 2000.

Clarence Ditlow, executive director of the nonprofit Center for Auto Safety, said it makes sense that auto deaths would decline as driving decreases in response to rising gas prices.

"There are a whole bunch of factors that are influenced by higher gasoline prices — teenagers don't have as much money, so you have the most risky drivers driving less; people are switching out of the bigger, older more dangerous vehicles, and people also know if they drive slower they're going to save gasoline," Ditlow said. "So, from a societal viewpoint, higher gasoline prices have a great number of benefits, and one of the most important benefits is fewer traffic fatalities."

By JOAN LOWY, Associated Press Sat Jul 12, 1:33 AM ET
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080712/...s_gas_prices_9

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Here in NY it would not surprise me if the Bosses try to take credit for the drop in traffic accidents and fatalities on their "Traffic Stat" take on Comstat program and their initiatives to reduce accidents and increase traffic flow. Anyway, I heard the department is finally lightening up on this "traffic stat", probably realizing it is a huge waste of manpower hours and resources.

High gas prices may be a life saver for some drivers but there will probably be more people starving and freezing to death.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I agree with most of the article. The only thing I don't agree with is the big vehicles are dangerous line. I can tell you When I had a collision with a DUI that if I wasn't in my big truck I wouldn't be here talking (typing) to you. The good news is that her Civic was demolished. Most of the collisions that I respond to it usually ends up like this. Little car = looser (serious injury or death). Big car / truck = winner (walk away minor injuries)

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    I agree with most of the article. The only thing I don't agree with is the big vehicles are dangerous line. I can tell you When I had a collision with a DUI that if I wasn't in my big truck I wouldn't be here talking (typing) to you. The good news is that her Civic was demolished. Most of the collisions that I respond to it usually ends up like this. Little car = looser (serious injury or death). Big car / truck = winner (walk away minor injuries)

Ding Ding Ding you are correct. Last good wreck I worked was a Cavalier vs. Tahoe. Cavalier rear ended the Tahoe at about 40mph. It was totaled and on fire. Tahoe had a messed up rear end(axels and the like) and the rear bumper was a lose. The back door was not damaged.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The one I was in, my truck ran over the civic. I was able to drive it away with one small dent and a couple pieces in the plastic grill. They never even replaced the bumper on the truck at the body shop since it was fine.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Since we are talking about accidents, heres a few that I was affected by.

When I was a child and my mom was driving, she had an accident with our 69 Lincoln Continental. She ended up totaling some poor high school kids auto shop project, a early 50's Plymouth by hitting it broadside. Even though the Plymouth had some serious metal, the Lincoln only needed a front clip replacement. All sheet metal, no frame damage. The Plymouth had swung around and hit a 69 Dodge Charger in the drivers door. All walked away with minimal injuries though the Plymouth driver was a bit worse off because his car did not have any seat belts. It wasn't equipped with them. The Lincoln weighed close to 6,000 lbs. This was in the mid to late 70's.

Another accident that I witnessed was one that happened in front of me on the CA 99 freeway just south of Modesto. A bunch of us were trying to get on the freeway on a short access ramp and some idiot kid in an early 70's Cutlass just had to get around everyone, including a slow moving big rig. He cut off a woman in a Toyota making her spin out into the path of a Chevy or GMC passenger van conversion. After the van hit the Toyota, it did brush up against the side of the 18 wheeler tractor trailer rig. Had the people in the van been in anything smaller, they could have very easily went under the trailer and been run over by the dual axle wheels. The Toyota ended up in the center divide next to a guard rail facing the opposite way with the van at its nose. The damned kid in the Cutlass took off from the scene but he didn't count on me going after him a short distance to get his plate number. He almost wiped out getting off the freeway but long after I had got the plate. Though he did not make physical contact with the Toyota, he caused the accident.

The vehicle that weighs more usually comes away with less damage in an accident.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Bigger cars are less dangerous to their own occupants, but more dangerous to people they crash into. The study is about total fatalities, not just fatalities among people in bigger cars.

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Bigger cars are less dangerous to their own occupants, but more dangerous to people they crash into. The study is talking about total fatalities, not just fatalities among people in bigger cars.
    Yep, thats why I will always put me and mine in the biggest toughest thing I can find As long as it is a Ford and 4wd. I want them to survive first (with little or no injury) then I will start worrying about the other person

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Yep, thats why I will always put me and mine in the biggest toughest thing I can find As long as it is a Ford and 4wd. I want them to survive first (with little or no injury) then I will start worrying about the other person
    Or to be even safer (and save gasoline), you could take a bus or train. They're usually the biggest vehicles on the road!

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    No trains here and good luck waiting for a bus, None where I work or live. Besides I really don't want to sit in a vehicle with the perps I arrested before

And I save lots of gasoline. I drive a diesel the gas goes in the chain saw, boat, and ATV

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    It's too bad so many places have little or no public transportation. Hopefully more buses will start running as demand goes up.

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I live on a very rural road out in the middle of nowhere. I doubt the bus would be able to even make it. The county seat has some buses but I have never seen more then 2 people on them. And they shut down after 1800 hours so that doesn't help most people. I pray to God that we don't ever lose the freedom of our vehicles, and being able to travel when we want. I would hate to have no choice but to ride buses.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I live on a very rural road out in the middle of nowhere. I doubt the bus would be able to even make it. The county seat has some buses but I have never seen more then 2 people on them. And they shut down after 1800 hours so that doesn't help most people. I pray to God that we don't ever lose the freedom of our vehicles, and being able to travel when we want. I would hate to have no choice but to ride buses.
    Well maybe public transportation is not a good idea for you, but it will still benefit you if other people use public transportation instead of cars--fewer cars on the road = less traffic and less likelihood of accidents for those who do drive their own cars.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Not everyone lives in urban populated centers, Jenna. Buses and trains generally do not go into the backwoods, out to the mountains or farms to pick people up.

On a lighter note, I have to go and take a 30 minute walk to go and catch a vanpool to get to work. I usually drive it in 5 minutes but the wife wants to conserve fuel, and she volunteered to walk with me to see me off.

You probably won't see many LE taking public transit to work unless its in London or something like that. They have to deal with the public enough as it is.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    And I can't take the dogs on the bus. Poor TJ would kick my rear if I left him home

Thread Information