Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Lowering Oil Prices will not take 10 years

http://kudlow.nationalreview.com/pos...ZmNDVmMjA0ZWY=

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Bush Says Drill, Drill, Drill — and Oil Drops $9! [Larry Kudlow]

In a dramatic move yesterday President Bush removed the executive-branch moratorium on offshore drilling. Today, at a news conference, Bush repeated his new position, and slammed the Democratic Congress for not removing the congressional moratorium on the Outer Continental Shelf and elsewhere. Crude-oil futures for August delivery plunged $9.26, or 6.3 percent, almost immediately as Bush was speaking, bringing the barrel price down to $136.

Now isn’t this interesting?

Democrats keep saying that it will take 10 years or longer to produce oil from the offshore areas. And they say that oil prices won’t decline for at least that long. And they, along with Obama and McCain, bash so-called oil speculators. And today we had a real-world example as to why they are wrong. All of them. Reid, Pelosi, Obama, McCain — all of them.

Traders took a look at a feisty and aggressive George Bush and started selling the market well before a single new drop of oil has been lifted. What does this tell us? Well, if Congress moves to seal the deal, oil prices will probably keep on falling. That’s the way traders work. They discount the future. Psychology and expectations can turn on a dime.

The congressional ban on offshore drilling expires September 30, so that becomes a key date. A new report from Wall Street research house Sanford C. Bernstein says that California actually could start producing new oil within one year if the moratorium were lifted. The California oil is under shallow water and already has been explored. Drilling platforms have been in place since before the moratorium. They’re talking about 10 billion barrels worth off the coast of California.

There’s also a “gang of 10” in the Senate, five Republicans and five Democrats, that is trying to work a compromise deal on lifting the moratorium. So it’s possible a lot of action on this front could occur much sooner than people seem to think.

So I repeat: Drill, drill, drill. Deregulate, decontrol, and unleash the American energy industry. Those hated traders will then keep selling oil as the laws of supply and demand and free markets keep working.

Bravo for Bush. Bravo for the traders.

07/15 01:07 PM

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Now the question is will the Dems fall in line?

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    W put the pressure squarely on them with this move. He controls the executive ban and it is gone. The Dems now control the legislative ban. Which is now the only roadblock to expanded drilling.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    The Dems will block this any way they can. It's too risky for them: If it works, it proves they are wrong!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by keith720 View Post
    The Dems will block this any way they can. It's too risky for them: If it works, it proves they are wrong!
    You seriously needed proof?

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    You seriously needed proof?
    I certainly don't need proof! If it wasn't for these goofs, our dependance of foreign oil would be half of what it currently is.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Cool Breeze is offline 303rd Logistics
    Verified LEO
    I find it interesting that when the price per barrel rises, gas stations raise their prices within a few hours. When it falls, it takes them days to lower the price.

Fuggers.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I find it interesting that when the price per barrel rises, gas stations raise their prices within a few hours. When it falls, it takes them days to lower the price.

Fuggers.
    Actually there is a very good explaination for that. If you want me to tell you I will later tonight after I get home.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    All the oil in the world isn't going to do much for us without more refineries. This is the first step in several that need to take place.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Cool Breeze is offline 303rd Logistics
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Actually there is a very good explaination for that. If you want me to tell you I will later tonight after I get home.
    Please do. Without a logical explanation, it just seems like the little guy takes it in the rear coming and going.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    With the way things are, I am not getting excited yet, we will see what unfolds in teh next 6 months

If things work out as planned, we could be in a lot better shape come a year from now
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Please do. Without a logical explanation, it just seems like the little guy takes it in the rear coming and going.
    I think it has something to do with all the oil at the refineries and in the pipeline that's already been purchased at the higher prices. It's going to take some time before the cheaper oil purchased today gets transported, refined, and delivered to the gas station.

I don't understand though if that's the case why does the cheap oil today in the pipeline suddenly become more expensive when prices rise. It was already purchased at the cheaper price right?

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm not home yet, but here goes anyway. I'm going to use round numbers to make it simple. Lets say there is a gas station with their tank in the ground. It costs the owner $100 to fill the tank up. The owner pays $100. That gas has been paid for at that price and is now for sale to us. The owner is contacted by his supplier when the tank is half full. He is told that his next tank full will cost $110 dollars. That is an increase of 10%. Now, if the owner keeps charging you at the $100 dollar inventory cost/rate he will loose money. He will eventually run out of gas due to not getting a full tank in the ground. If he charges at the $100 rate he will only be able to afford to fill his tank to 90% of capacity the next time he is supplied. He has to raise his price on the gas he has already purchased to make up for the increase in inventory costs. I deal with station owners regularly and they all tell me the they don't make their money on the gas. Maybe a couple of cents a gallon. They make their money on the products in the store. The gas gets people in the store. This is why the price shoots up at the hint of a supply cost increase. The margin for breaking even to a small profit on the gas is very tight. Such is the life for many small business owners. Most stations survive by just barely staying ahead of the cost of thier gas inventory. That way their gas is a cent or two below the competition. You and I go there and maybe buy a cold drink with our gas. What really sucks is that it is illegal for many gas stations to deviate thier prices with stations in their area more than a few cents. This is the law in many states. Hope that helps.

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    I always said it was something like this:

Gas station Owner: "Hey honey, do you want to take a trip next weekend".

Gas Station Owner's Wife: " Well sure honey, but how are we going to afford it"

Gas Station Owner: " Shit, sweetheart, we will just jack up the price of gas this week"

Gas Station Owner's Wife: " Ok, sounds good to me, well, let me fill up the car before you do it"

Gas Station Owner: " Ok dear, Hey, if we ass rape enough people, i might even be able to buy you a new car"

Gas Station Owner's Wife: " Oh honey, i knew i married you for a reason"
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked,” Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    To add to 5-Os' explanation,it is actually even worse for the small business guy.Since the skyrocket prices ,more have had to go to "pre-pay" or pay at the pump.Personally,where I used to get my gas,go in ,get a snack etc. and pay,I opt for debit card at the pump.How does this hurt small guy?? I haven't purchased anything inside the store,and the card company charges him 4% for taking my card.He is just plain screwed either way.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Futures exchanges also have alot to do with oil prices rising faster than they fall... When they rise, future contracts are sold that gurantees the seller that the oil will be sold at a certain price (usually a high price), and the market goes crazy with speculators. Essentially the oil is sold at a high price before it gets pumped out of the ground.

That's why McCain is right and Obama is ful of shit - The oil is sold before it's ever pumped, so new drilling will have an effect on prices long before the oil is flowing, just by killing off the speculators, thus dropping futures prices.

But then even if the spot price of oil drops sharply, all those old futures contracts (and call options) must still be fulfilled at the old higher price. That means that refinery cost doesn't drop immediately, so they have to continue to pass that along. All the brokers can do is purchase additional oil at the spot price to help average the price out. But if the big companies buy too much, the prices will shoot up again, so they have to trickle the low price oil in.

Like 5-0 said, the little guy has a similar problem - He buys the oil at a certain price before it's delivered, so if the price drops, he has to stick with the old price for a while to pay for it. And if the price rises, he has to think about comming up with enough cash from the gas he already has in the tank to purchase the next load. The only way he can do that is raise the price immediately to cover replacement cost.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    I still think its a a crock of shit!
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked,” Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Terminator is offline BANNED
    DRILL HERE...DRILL NOW...PAY LESS!

www.americansolutions.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    DRILL HERE...DRILL NOW...PAY LESS!

www.americansolutions.com

Signed!

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Signed that months ago. Newt is the man by the way. Smartest guy in DC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information