Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Washington State Supreme Court rules marijuana odor doesn't warrant search and handcuffing of passengers

Law-enforcement officers who detect the odor of marijuana from a vehicle can't arrest all of the occupants, the state Supreme Court ruled Thursday.
    In a unanimous ruling, the court determined the smell of pot isn't enough probable cause to warrant the arrest and search of everyone inside a car. While smell alone may be reason for a vehicle search, the court determined, it doesn't warrant handcuffing passengers without other supporting evidence.
    Defense attorneys on Thursday called it a right-to-privacy victory. Law-enforcement officers say it won't greatly affect the way they make arrests.
    The ruling stems from a traffic stop in April 2006 in Skagit County.
    Jeremy Grande was riding in a car driven by Lacee Hurley when they were pulled over by State Patrol Trooper Brent Hanger, court documents said. Hanger stopped the car for windows too darkly tinted, he testified.
    Hanger said he smelled pot in the car, so he arrested and handcuffed Grande and Hurley, court documents said.
    A search of Grande revealed a glass pipe with marijuana in his pocket, according to court papers. Hanger searched the car and found a joint in an ashtray, which Hurley said belonged to her, court documents said. Both were charged with marijuana possession. Grande was also charged with possession of drug paraphernalia, court documents said.
    The case initially came before the Skagit County District Court, which found there was no probable cause for Grande's arrest. But the state appealed the ruling and the county's Superior Court reversed the order, court documents said. The case was appealed to the state Supreme Court.
    Summing up the state Supreme Court's decision, Justice Charles W. Johnson wrote: "Our state constitution protects our individual privacy, meaning that we are free from unnecessary police intrusion into our private affairs unless a police officer can clearly associate the crime with the individual." In the case of the Skagit County traffic stop, the court found the mere presence of the odor of marijuana was not enough probable cause to warrant the arrest of Grande.
    Attorney David Zuckerman, who brought the case before the state Supreme Court, said the problem is that arresting someone based solely on the odor of marijuana can affect innocents.
    "The smell of marijuana smoke can linger for weeks," Zuckerman said. "You could have a perfectly innocent citizen get into a car where somebody smoked marijuana at some point ... and an officer can just pull you out of a car and book you based on that."
    Zuckerman said Grande was delighted with the decision.
    The decision doesn't mean an officer must walk away from a vehicle that smells of pot. Trooper Hanger did have probable cause to search the car, the state Supreme Court decision said, just not to arrest Grande.
    "What this means is officers are going to have to be a little more keen in their investigative skills," said Don Pierce, executive director of the Washington Association of Sheriffs and Police Chiefs.
    "Normally, if you come across the odor of marijuana ... there's something else going on that helps you identify who the responsible person or persons is."
    Thursday's decision overturned a 1979 state Court of Appeals decision that the smell of marijuana in a car established cause to arrest passengers and driver. But that decision was made three weeks before the U.S. Supreme Court held that the search of a person must be supported by probable cause that's specific to that person.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Welcome to Washington!
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Well...I guess I don't see how this is too big of a deal. It's stupid, yes. But it really shouldn't hinder LE in doing there jobs.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Well...I guess I don't see how this is too big of a deal. It's stupid, yes. But it really shouldn't hinder LE in doing there jobs.
    It won't really, we just don't arrest them until we find it.

It does prevent a search of the individuals though, which sucks.

Washington State has the strictest constitutional standards in the US. When you got to a class out of State, the instructors usually say "ok, you guys from Washington ignore this."
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Lost one in District Court circa 1989, where I stopped a guy for driving on the shoulder. Odor of fresh beer, from mouth and spilled on his pants and now flowing from under the seat from an unseen container. Got driver out, put on one glove, and reached under seat for the source of "aforementioned intoxicating liquor".

I made a sweep motion rather than a grab, and out came a cold beer can and a small baggie of MJ. It was way under 40g, he said it was ok to search, nothing more. I gave him the FST, passed. Cited for Poss MJ (misdm) and wrote the moving violation and open container infractions.

3.5 suppression hearing: Judge tossed the MJ as defense argued I was searching for evidence of an "infraction" not a crime. Thus I was in a civil mode, not criminal. Accidental finding of weed suppressed. Prosecutor argued I had the auth. to do a protective sweep, but I had the guy out and considered him no threat. Defense smiled. He admitted infractions, end of story.

Washington has 39 ways to interpret these decisions. What? 39 counties.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post

Washington State has the strictest constitutional standards in the US. When you got to a class out of State, the instructors usually say "ok, you guys from Washington ignore this."
    Yeah I suppose that's true. Yeah that sucks.

I know what you're saying. I just did a drug interdiction class a few months ago and one of the instructors was from TX. Most of his material was irrelevant to us. I heard that in New Mexico you have to get a warrant for a plain view vehicle search.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    I'll keep my Ill standards thank you!
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    I think I will keep my search whatever, whenever power
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post

Here in Kansas you could pat them down, then feeling the pipe would lead to an arrest. We sometimes have to articulate " based on training and experience I knew it was,,,, blaa, blaaa, "

I say you could still detain them based on the odor.
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Here in Kansas you could pat them down, then feeling the pipe would lead to an arrest. We sometimes have to articulate " based on training and experience I knew it was,,,, blaa, blaaa, "

I say you could still detain them based on the odor.
    We could pat them down if we could articulate a reasonable suspicion that they might be armed, a la Terry.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    What about what the SUPREME COURT SAID? The United States one.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro56 View Post
    What about what the SUPREME COURT SAID? The United States one.
    Nothing the SCOTUS does restricts State courts from being more restrictive of their own government.

As I said, Washington State has stricter constitutional standards than most of the other States.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Thread Information