Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Milwaukee Sergeant on leave after shooting suicidal officer

MILWAUKEE -- A Milwaukee police officer from District 3 shot and killed himself late Thursday night.A police sergeant tried to prevent the suicide by shooting the other officer in the leg.Police said the sergeant and another officer went to the 29-year-old off-duty officer's home late Thursday after receiving a report that he may be suicidal.
    The off-duty officer eventually put a gun to his head, causing the sergeant to shoot him in the leg. But, as the off-duty officer fell to the ground, he took his own life. He was pronounced dead at his home.The sergeant, 35, is on administrative leave, which is standard operating procedure.The shooting is being reviewed by the Milwaukee County district attorney's office.

Cross240 is offline Temporarily Civilianized
    I kind of understand this......... but, i'm thinkin all they will find is two gun shot wounds. One Fatal, one Not.

Bad deal for all involved, thats for sure
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter. -- Ernest Hemingway

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    That is a damn shame.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Thoughts and prayers to the family of the deceased and the SGT and his family.
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by deputysykes View Post
    Thoughts and prayers to the family of the deceased and the SGT and his family.
    +1

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Just sad from start to finish, thoughts and prayers to all involved

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Once again, LEO suicides appear to be a little too high.

I am not certain where the line is crossed to intervene in an effort to prevent the act. The sergeant certainly did not accomplish his goal of intervention. In fact, he, in all probability, exacerbated the officer's act.

Thoughts and prayers go out to both sides.

I have studied these types of issues deeply over the years and have found it to be a topic that most agencies prefer to set way back on the back burners; because, to admit there is a problem is to admit culpibility.

The problem will not go away.

Agencies need to train supervisors and management personnel how to recognize certain triggers that seem to direct a despondant office towards the act of self destruction. In the end, the worth of saving our own is far greater than ignoring the issues.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Once again, LEO suicides appear to be a little too high.

I am not certain where the line is crossed to intervene in an effort to prevent the act. The sergeant certainly did not accomplish his goal of intervention. In fact, he, in all probability, exacerbated the officer's act.

Thoughts and prayers go out to both sides.

I have studied these types of issues deeply over the years and have found it to be a topic that most agencies prefer to set way back on the back burners; because, to admit there is a problem is to admit culpibility.

The problem will not go away.

Agencies need to train supervisors and management personnel how to recognize certain triggers that seem to direct a despondant office towards the act of self destruction. In the end, the worth of saving our own is far greater than ignoring the issues.

Without having been on scene myself, I can only imagine that the sergeant saw his own act as a "last resort", thinking that the shot would be a sufficient distraction - suicidal subject drops his gun & grabs his leg. Definitely prayers out to all involved.

In regards to the suicide rate of LEO's, as I recall, our rate generally is around 150% of the general public. Back in the '90's, I did a paper for college on the importance of peer counseling in law enforcement. The numbskull instructor I had (I refuse to call him a professor) pulled me aside the week before he returned our papers and told me he was giving me a lower grade on the paper because he thought my statisics were wrong in relation to the numbers of LEO suicides. When I asked what was wrong with them, he replied, "Those numbers are just too high. They can't be right." I told him that I agreed that they were "too high" inasmuch as my bretheren were taking their own lives around the world on a daily basis. Having had a particularly challenging duty week previous to that, I asked him when was the last time he had to inform a parent thier child was killed in a crash, or tried to resuscitate an infant who drowned in the bathtub when mom left to answer the front door? His response, "Well, you guys know it's gonna be tough when you take the job. I think too many police officers bring too many of their own problems to work with them." (It is this level of public ignorance that can make it more difficult to seek help.)

I challenged the instructor to confirm my statistical sources since I was reporting clearly established FACTS. I left him with one comment to remember... Police officers deal with two kinds of people - the best of people in their own crisis or the dredges of society. We see more in a week than most people will (or should) see in a lifetime. To expect those events to not have an impact on the human psyche is ludicrious. I don't expect you to understand, I only ask that you respect that which we face.

Oh, the next week's class, my paper was returned to me with the lower grade crossed out and an "A" in it's place!
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by adroitcuffs View Post
    Without having been on scene myself, I can only imagine that the sergeant saw his own act as a "last resort", thinking that the shot would be a sufficient distraction - suicidal subject drops his gun & grabs his leg.
    Exactly - reps.

Not having been there, I can only see a desperate attempt at a save.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Thread Information