Welcome to the APBWeb.
    2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO

'Extreme Makeover' Doom

I do not watch this show, but these people must really be pathetic, they get a new home and furnishings for free, in addition their former mortgage was paid off and they got extra cash. What losers, what next, are they going to blame the Bank or the Gov't for getting them in the mess they are in.

http://tv.yahoo.com/extreme-makeover...er_foreclosure

'Extreme Makeover' house faces foreclosure
    Mon Jul 28, 11:32 AM PDT
    More than 1,800 people showed up to help ABC's "Extreme Makeover" team demolish a family's decrepit home and replace it with a sparkling, four-bedroom mini-mansion in 2005.

Three years later, the reality TV show's most ambitious project at the time has become the latest victim of the foreclosure crisis.

After the Harper family used the two-story home as collateral for a $450,000 loan, it's set to go to auction on the steps of the Clayton County Courthouse Aug. 5. The couple did not return phone calls Monday, but told WSB-TV they received the loan for a construction business that failed.

The house was built in January 2005, after Atlanta-based Beazer Homes USA and ABC's "Extreme Makeover" demolished their old home and its faulty septic system. Within six days, construction crews and hoards of volunteers had completed work on the largest home that the television program had yet built.

The finished product was a four-bedroom house with decorative rock walls and a three-car garage that towered over ranch and split-level homes in their Clayton County neighborhood. The home's door opened into a lobby that featured four fireplaces, a solarium, a music room and a plush new office.

Materials and labor were donated for the home, which would have cost about $450,000 to build. Beazer Homes' employees and company partners also raised $250,000 in contributions for the family, including scholarships for the couple's three children and a home maintenance fund.

ABC said in a statement that it advises each family to consult a financial planner after they get their new home. "Ultimately, financial matters are personal, and we work to respect the privacy of the families," the network said.

Some of the volunteers who helped build the home were less than thrilled about the family's financial decisions.

"It's aggravating. It just makes you mad. You do that much work, and they just squander it," Lake City Mayor Willie Oswalt, who helped vault a massive beam into place in the Harper's living room, told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Information from: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, http://www.ajc.com

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ya know, I stopped watching that show a long time ago. Some of the stories were very good, and the people deserving. But when they started scraping the bottom of the barrel for "stories" I started wondering how long it would take for some of these families to trash the place or lose it all together.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Unfortunately, it's the sort of situation that invites one-upmanship.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    HMMM.....we were such great managers of money to begin with that we got a slot on the show. We get our prayers answered with no mortgage and a new house. We use said house as collateral for a loan to start a construction company in the middle of real estate/construction down turn. BRILLIANT!!!!

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    I got fed up with the whole thing as they tried to find ever-more-deserving, ever-more-tragically-hit family.

What were they going to come down to? A "family" made up of orphans who adopted orphans, but only if they had some sort of "orphan disease" (orphan diseases are those that the pharmaceutical industry just isn't working hard to cure because there are so few people with them...), and who are unemployed, having been laid off from their job at Mcdonalds because of their addiction to prescription pain killers, acquired due to an on-the-job injury... And they just had to put their dog to sleep.

In this case... the family apparently figured something like "hey, we're free and clear on the house; let's put it up and start a business." Their risk... and they lost.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    This goes to show you can't fix stupid.
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I don't understand the rational behind the show. If the people can't afford upkeep on a shack, how can they afford upkeep on a show house? I don't think this will be the only "Extreme Makeover" house to go down the tubes.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by keith720 View Post
    I don't understand the rational behind the show. If the people can't afford upkeep on a shack, how can they afford upkeep on a show house? I don't think this will be the only "Extreme Makeover" house to go down the tubes.

That is the kicker, not only did they get a new house, but their mortgage was paid for and they received an extra pocket money that came from donations. According to the article they got something like 250 Grand which included a home maintenance fund. What would possess them to mortgage the house to start a construction company is beyond me. The morons let their first house run down to the ground, how the hell do they expect to construct homes when they can not even maintain their own. In my opinion those people were not deserving and are just a bunch of low lifes. All the money that went into that house and into their pockets could have helped some much more deserving people who were displaced because of natural disasters, how many people lost their homes and all their possessions because of flooding, hurricanes or tornados. It is a real shame.

moggsp98 is offline Press HARD, 5 copies
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    The show came to our town about 3-4 years ago. Our church helped feed the volunteers and my daughter got to meet some of the cast members. it was a great story where the home owner had taken his neice an nephew in after his sister had passed away. they were living in a two room underground shack with no windows. The show came and built a huge house with all the nice landscaping and all. Even built a small castle outside for the kids to play in.

Well, now after about 3 years, the house was put on the market for $585,000.00 plus another $150,000 for the ajoining field. His claim was that the house was just too big to take care of. Obviously he just saw dollar signs!
    Any day above ground is a fine day indeed!

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE PIGEON, SOME DAYS YOU ARE THE STATUE

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Blue 4 U View Post
    All the money that went into that house and into their pockets could have helped some much more deserving people who were displaced because of natural disasters, how many people lost their homes and all their possessions because of flooding, hurricanes or tornadoes. It is a real shame.
    Earthquakes, too.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    Earthquakes, too.
    ooops, my bad! Just in the news too, thankfully no serious injuries or damage.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I saw the show where they built the house for the LAPD officer who was paralyzed by gunfire on a call. You can't afford quality rehab equipment and make a house handicap accessible on a cop's salary. Our officer paralyzed in the line of duty was told it would cost $200,000 to make his home handicap accessible, I don't know what he's going to do. In circumstances like this that show is phenomenal and does an awesome good.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    What a lot of people dont realize is that yes..you are getting a new home with new furniture, but you will be responsible for the higher taxes that you will be expected to pay.

If a person is having trouble with the payments and such before the makeover, what makes them think that they can handle things after they get the makeover? I seriously think that the makeover show should do the makeover, but not to such gaudy extent. Sure, redo their house, but do it better, not bigger. Repair and remodel sure, but dont build them a mansion that they can not afford to pay taxes or the upkeep.
    "Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail."

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I saw the show where they built the house for the LAPD officer who was paralyzed by gunfire on a call. You can't afford quality rehab equipment and make a house handicap accessible on a cop's salary. Our officer paralyzed in the line of duty was told it would cost $200,000 to make his home handicap accessible, I don't know what he's going to do. In circumstances like this that show is phenomenal and does an awesome good.
    I never heard the final dollar figure when one of ours was paralyzed LOD, but I'm sure it was a lot. And that's with a lot of work by the government...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Thread Information