Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Big Sexy is offline Not your mothers BIG SEXY
    Verified LEO

Exclamation Felons Challenging gun Ban In Wake Of Supreme Court's Landmark Ruling

Felons Challenging Gun Ban In Wake Of Supreme Courtís Landmark Ruling

Emboldened by a recent U.S. Supreme Court decision, a number of felons are now challenging a federal law that bars them from owning guns. Facing federal charges for possessing guns, the felons are defending against the charges by arguing that the law is unconstitutional in the wake of the Supreme Court's landmark case of District of Columbia v. Heller.

In Heller, the Supreme Court ruled at the end of June that Washington, D.C.'s handgun ban violates the Constitution's Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms. Among other things, the justices held that statutes banning handgun possession in the home violate the Second Amendment because individuals have the right to self-defense, particularly in the place where the importance of the lawful defense of self, family, and property is most acute.

The felons contend that the Supreme Court's decision permits them to keep loaded handguns in their homes in order to defend themselves. They claim the federal law barring them from possessing guns violates the Second Amendment because they, too, have a constitutional right to self-defense.

While many felons are now trying to make this argument, it is likely to be an uphill battle, legal experts say. That's because in the Heller decision, the Supreme Court specifically said that the Second Amendment does not prohibit laws banning the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. Nevertheless, legal experts say they expect to see many challenges of federal, state, and local gun laws because of the Heller decision.
    Don't Be Afraid To Fail.

No Tengas Miedo Al Fracaso.

Probation13-901 is offline Master Officer
    What a bunch of morons !!!

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Scalia wrote right into the Heller decision that it did not reverse such controls as preventing felons from having guns.

This smacks of anti-gunners trying to create hysteria.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    This is ridiculous, and why some people should not be allowed to even consider lawsuits. I should have seen this coming.
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Scalia wrote right into the Heller decision that it did not reverse such controls as preventing felons from having guns.

This smacks of anti-gunners trying to create hysteria.
    Ding Ding Ding

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Thread Information