Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Woman buys clones of her deceased pitbull terrier Booger

South Korean biotechnologists have engineered a pet resurrection that, until recently, seemed commercially impossible: they have reunited a Californian woman with her dearest friend — or, at least, genetic copies derived from the frozen remains of his ear.

More than £25,000 the poorer but weeping with joy, Bernann McKinney, 57, became the world’s first paying customer yesterday in the strange new industry of canine cloning.

Held in her arms was a quintet of newborn puppies, genetically identical not only with each other but with the late, lamented Booger, a pitbull terrier who died of old age two years ago.

Declaring the whole affair a “miracle”, Ms McKinney said: “They are perfectly the same as their daddy. I am in heaven here. I am a happy person.”

Ms McKinney paid a high financial price for the reunion. Even at the knockdown fee offered to her as a first-time cloner, she had to sell her house to meet the cost.

“I had to make sacrifices and I dream of the day, some day, when everyone can afford to clone their pet, because losing a pet is a terrible, terrible loss to anyone,” she said.

After ten years of happy companionship, Ms McKinney felt the loss of Booger keenly. This was, after all, a ferociously loyal hound who had once saved her life by fending off an attacking mastiff.

Ms McKinney’s hand and legs were savaged in the attack and, she said, it was only via Booger’s loyal assistance — fetching her clothes and shoes, bringing her cans of drink and opening doors — that she was able to make it through the long months of recuperation.

The mastiff, another of Ms McKinney’s pets, had been driven mad by being given ten times the recommended dose of medication for a bee sting, she said. She has told US media how the animal attacked her outside her remote farmhouse, shredding her left arm up to the elbow, tearing one of her legs and nearly ripping the fingers off her right hand.

He was chewing at her stomach when she said she called out: “Help me, God. Help me, Jesus. Help me, Booger,” and the smaller dog succeeded in driving off the mastiff long enough for her to drag herself into the safety of her car.

Ms McKinney, a former beauty queen, had to undergo many episodes of reconstructive surgery and was confined to a wheelchair for months.

The world of pet cloning is not free from scandal. The cloning operation was undertaken by RNL Bio, a company working with scientists at Seoul National University and which announced yesterday that it was open for dog-cloning business worldwide.

It was in the university’s laboratories that, to the joy of South Koreans, the world’s first cloned dog was born in 2005: an Afghan hound named Seoul National University Puppy, or Snuppy.

Since then, other dogs have been cloned without charge; copies of the best police sniffer dogs have been born in recent months and have begun their training with the South Korean customs service.

Not long after the birth of Snuppy, however, Hwang Woo Suk, the genetic engineer regarded as a national hero, was forced out of the university in disgrace. After triumphing with dog cloning he had moved on to work in human embryonic stem cells; unfortunately, parts of his research were exposed as fraudulent and he left for the United States. Mr Hwang now works for BioArts International, a company that is fighting RNL Bio over claims of patent infringement.

RNL Bio said that it could clone up to 300 dogs next year and would consider cloning camels for wealthy Middle Eastern clients.

The cloning of Booger realises a commercial dream that began more than ten years ago. In 1997, when Scottish scientists cloned Dolly the sheep, biotech laboratories around the world began to explore which other animals might be reproduced. A number of species worked well, but dogs present peculiar obstacles because of their unpredictable ovulation cycle and difficulties extracting a mature egg.

In California, entrepreneurs now involved with RNL Bio’s main rival in the dog-cloning field set up a company called Genetic Savings and Clone. Despite producing a few cloned cats, it folded only months before the birth of Snuppy, citing the difficulties that it had encountered in cloning dogs.

( Ahn Young-joon/AP)

Leo Lewis
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4462922.ece

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    “Help me, God. Help me, Jesus. Help me, Booger.”
    If O/R ever goes into the t-shirt selling business, this should be the first one that rolls off the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post

( Ahn Young-joon/AP)
    Cute little booger!
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    She paid an awful lot for a Booger.

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    If O/R ever goes into the t-shirt selling business, this should be the first one that rolls off the line.

JAYBIRD33081 is offline CAT: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    She had to sell her house to get her dog cloned?!?!?!?! I loved all the pets I had over the years and it sucked when they died but no way in hell would i pay that much to get them cloned. Plus just having a cloned dog would give me the creeps.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Now she has 5 puppies and no house. I can only say I hope it's worth it to her. I'll stick with rescuing my guys and cherishing each one for the individuals that they are.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I saw her on the Today Show this morning and she's going to write a book and hopefully sell the rights to her story. She wants to train the dogs as helper/companion animals at the soon-to-be-established "Booger's Place." I am not making this up.

Verified LEO
    The best thing that could've happened to her is if when she summoned Booger for help, he said "Fuck you, bitch...I'm licking my balls! Haven't I warned you about disturbing me when I'm licking my balls?" Then, the other dog would've eaten her and there'd be more oxygen left in the atmosphere for the rest of us.
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    The best thing that could've happened to her is if when she summoned Booger for help, he said "Fuck you, bitch...I'm licking my balls! Haven't I warned you about disturbing me when I'm licking my balls?" Then, the other dog would've eaten her and there'd be more oxygen left in the atmosphere for the rest of us.
    Your a violent little liberal , Bob. I like that.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    As much as I love my dogs, I just can't imagine wanting to do that. It would be interesting to note whether or not they have the same quirks and personality as the 'original' although somehow I dont believe they would.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Cloned puppies may have exposed 31-year mystery

By JENNIFER DOBNER, Associated Press Writer Sat Aug 9, 4:08 PM ET

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080809/...mormon_hostage

A woman who made news around the world when she had five pups cloned from her beloved pit bull Booger looked very familiar to some who saw her picture: She may be the same woman who 31 years earlier was accused of abducting a Mormon missionary in England, handcuffing him to a bed and making him her sex slave.

A paper trail of court documents and jail booking information uncovered by The Associated Press suggests 57-year-old dog-lover Bernann McKinney is Joyce McKinney, who in 1977 faced charges of unlawful imprisonment in the missionary case. She jumped bail and was never brought to justice.

British tabloids first recognized the blonde woman's smiling face when she appeared in news photographs this past week with the five pit bull pups she paid South Korean scientists $53,000 to clone from her pet dog Booger who died two years ago.

There is indeed a striking resemblance between Bernann McKinney and Joyce McKinney. Arrest records and court documents for the two names over the years show other similarities: the same birth date and Social Security numbers, the same hometown of Newland, N.C., and Joyce McKinney's middle name is Bernann.

"It fits," said Utah filmmaker Trent Harris, who made a documentary about Joyce McKinney's case. He said photographs of McKinney and the dogs left him with no question about her identity.

"I said 'Oh my God, that's Joyce,'" he said.

Bernann McKinney has flatly denied any connections to Joyce McKinney and says she planned to take legal action against those who suggested otherwise.

"I'm filing a $10 million libel action and I don't think you want AP to be part of that," McKinney said before boarding a plane to return to the U.S.

While in South Korea, she told reporters she was a screenwriter and handed out business cards with a Hollywood, Calif., address. The AP found that address did not exist.

In a phone call later Friday to the AP, Bernann McKinney repeated she had nothing to do with the Mormon abduction story and only wanted to talk about the cloning of her dog.

"It's a story of courage, of a very brave service dog taking care of me. He passed away. I was so depressed. I had him cloned," she said.

The story of Joyce McKinney is the stuff of pulp fiction: a North Carolina-born beauty queen who moved west, won the title Miss Wyoming USA, converted to Mormonism and went on to college at Brigham Young University, where she became obsessed with a Mormon fellow student.

When that young Mormon took a missionary trip to England, authorities say McKinney hired a private detective so she could locate and follow him.

She and a male accomplice were accused of abducting the 21-year-old missionary as he went door to door, taking him to a rented 17th-century "honeymoon cottage" in Devon and chaining him spread-eagled to a bed with several pairs of mink-lined handcuffs.

There, investigators say, he was repeatedly forced to have sex with McKinney before he was able to escape and notify police.

In a 1977 court hearing mobbed by the British press, Joyce McKinney said she'd fallen head-over-heels in love with the Mormon man and acknowledged tracking him to England. "I loved him so much," she told a judge, "that I would ski naked down Mount Everest in the nude with a carnation up my nose if he asked me to."

But she denied a sexual assault, saying the young man was a willing partner.

"I have been played up as a very wicked and perverted woman," she told the court. "It's not true."

McKinney and her accomplice spent three months in a London jail before being released on bail.

Press reports at the time that said the pair then jumped bail, posing as deaf-mute actors in Ireland to board an Air Canada flight to Toronto and eventually a bus to Cleveland, where investigators lost their trail.

Joyce McKinney surfaced again in Utah in May 1984 and was arrested for allegedly stalking the workplace of the same Mormon man she was accused of imprisoning in England. News reports say that police found a length of rope and handcuffs in the trunk of McKinney's car, along with notebooks detailing the man's daily activities.

Set to stand trial for lying to police and harassment in 1986, McKinney again disappeared just before proceedings and the case was dismissed.

It now appears Joyce McKinney may have escaped justice in the long-ago British case also. London police told The AP they've consigned the case to the history books because of its age and won't seek McKinney's extradition.

The Associated Press obtained a copy of the 1984 Salt Lake County booking documents, which lists McKinney's full name, address, Social Security number and birth date. The AP compared the data to court and address records on file in North Carolina.

In both states, documents list McKinney's full name as Joyce Bernann McKinney and cite an Aug. 6, 1950, birth date, along with a hometown of Newland, N.C. A comparison of Social Security numbers on the documents show an exact match of the first five digits, the only numbers typically available in public records.

At the Avery County courthouse in McKinney's hometown of Newland in the western North Carolina mountains, a clerk said she instantly recognized the woman snuggling puppies as the Joyce Bernann McKinney who has a been a frequent defendant in court cases there.

"She is a person of note in our little community," said clerk Julia Henson.

Avery County Sheriff Kevin Frey said there are several charges on file against Joyce McKinney, including an active warrant seeking her arrest on a 2003 charge of communicating a threat against another woman.

Other charges include passing bad checks, an assault on a public officials and an 2004 animal cruelty charge alleging she failed to take proper care of a horse. That charge was dismissed.

James Stamey, the husband of the woman McKinney was charged with threatening, said McKinney left Newland about two years ago and no one had really seen or heard from her.

Until she showed up in the news about the cloned puppies.

"That's our Joy," Stamey said from his home in Newland.

Years ago, Stamey said, McKinney was a beautiful girl worthy of the Miss Wyoming USA crown.

"She's ugly as sin now," he said. "But, sure enough, that's her."

___

Associated Press writers Marlon Walker in Raleigh, N.C., Meera Selva in London, Solvej Schou in Los Angeles and AP researcher Jennifer Farrar contributed to this report.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Doesn't she look a bit like Sylvia Browne the Psychic?

http://www.sylvia.org/home/index.cfm

or maybe she doubled for Cousin Itt on the Addams Family?

http://www.addamsfamily.com/

All kidding aside, it appears that she had a thing for one of my church's missionaries. He probably converted her to the faith and she fell in love with him, although infatuation is more likely. I hope that the authorities in Salt Lake City, UT and Newland, NC can get to the bottom of this.

This clip shows a pic of her when she was Miss Wyoming USA.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...52NjQD92EUPMO0

More information on her escapades. Maybe she was a clone of the person they think she is? You be the judge.

http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...830818,00.html

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Now she has 5 puppies and no house. I can only say I hope it's worth it to her. I'll stick with rescuing my guys and cherishing each one for the individuals that they are.
    Very well put.
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Verified LEO
    ***BREAKING NEWS***

I just saw on CNN that the woman in this story (AKA "The Reason Al Qaeda Hates America") was recognized as the suspect in a kidnapping of a Momon missionary a while back...supposedly, she took this dude against his will and used him as a sex slave. No shit. I couldn't make this us. As soon as I find the hard copy somewhere, I'll post a link. I hope it is her, and she gets convicted...then, instead of putting her in jail, they make her wear a coat made out of her clone puppies.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH>> >>>..PLEASE BOB STOP IT! STOP IT! I'M GONNA PISS MY PANTS AGAIN!!!!!!!! Oh the humiliation!!!

Dammit. Be right back.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    ***BREAKING NEWS***

I just saw on CNN that the woman in this story (AKA "The Reason Al Qaeda Hates America") was recognized as the suspect in a kidnapping of a Momon missionary a while back...supposedly, she took this dude against his will and used him as a sex slave. No shit. I couldn't make this us. As soon as I find the hard copy somewhere, I'll post a link. I hope it is her, and she gets convicted...then, instead of putting her in jail, they make her wear a coat made out of her clone puppies.
    Yep, without a doubt Bob, your one violent , twisted liberal. Just goes to show no one is all bad.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Booger II............cute little expensive pup..................
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I suspect all the little Boogers will have to find someone else to live with.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Jennbeth72 is offline Banned
    im sorry I love my dogs and all but not enough to go without myself...I will split the bread but ill be damned if im selling both our halfs...LOL...booger would just have to get stuffed....and I would hug on that...sorry to all the booger lovers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information