TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Dallas police officer arrested in connection with Sam's Club robbery

Sheesh...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....3dd88298.html

07:56 PM CDT on Tuesday, August 12, 2008

By TANYA EISERER and STEVE THOMPSON / The Dallas Morning News
    teiserer@dallasnews.com
    stevethompson@dallasnews.com

A Dallas police officer planned and carried out the late June robbery of a Red Bird-area Sam’s Club with two other men, according to court records obtained by The Dallas Morning News.

Officer Alph Coleman was arrested Tuesday evening for aggravated robbery. When investigators spoke to him Tuesday, he refused to answer questions about the June 27 robbery of the Sam’s Club in the 2900 block of West Wheatland Road.

Alph Coleman

Another man, who police say drove the getaway car, also was arrested and released Monday on $30,000 bail on one count of conspiracy to commit robbery and unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon. Police asked his name be withheld pending the arrest of a third suspect who is thought to be the gunman.

Police say the getaway driver was behind the wheel of Officer Coleman’s civilian car. They also obtained cell phone records showing that Officer Coleman called the driver several times just before the gunman entered the store.

The suspicions of police investigators were immediately aroused after the robbery, in part because the unnamed gunman in the robbery didn’t take Officer Coleman’s weapon.
    Initial police reports, interviews and an arrest warrant affidavit give the following account:
    The gunman entered the store wearing all black, a black ski mask and blue latex gloves. He was armed with a revolver. He “ran towards Suspect Coleman with a gun in his hand, grabbed Suspect Coleman and seemingly overpowered him but did not disarm him.”
    Officer Coleman told police that the man held a gun to his head and threatened to kill him. The gunman and Officer Coleman walked to the vault area and tried to enter it, but couldn’t because store employees barricaded the door.

The gunman then walked Officer Coleman back to the front of the store, out the door and to a parking lot near a grassy area. Officer Coleman told investigators that he “attempted to grab the gun of the unknown suspect. He stated they grappled over the gun and the unknown suspect shot at him twice,” according to the affidavit.

Officer Coleman also told investigators that the gunman shot him in his bulletproof vest. He also said he fired his gun three times at the man, who he said fled through an apartment complex.

Investigators quickly determined that Officer Coleman’s vest had not been hit by a bullet. They also were suspicious because the gunman never made an attempt to take any cash from the registers as he walked Officer Coleman through the store.

The witness who saw the two men outside also told police that the gunman did not fire his weapon as Officer Coleman had described, but that Officer Coleman had fired his a few seconds later. Video surveillance also showed that Officer Coleman did not fall where he had described falling.

During questioning, the man who police say drove the getaway car — convicted on a 1989 murder charge and later released — said Officer Coleman and the gunman had planned the robbery together.

Police officials said Officer Coleman, hired in 2004, had no prior disciplinary history.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

sweetpea is offline Master Officer
    Damn, what a mess to get yourself into, what brain was he using???
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f.../ukbluejw2.gif

"When you feel dog tired at night, it may be because you've growled all day long."

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    He's toast, with todays camera technology the truth comes out easier.

He must have left his brain on his pillow last night he slept.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Dumb ass
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    I never have figured out the coppers who go off the deep end and carry out the violent felonies.
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    From this day forward.....all moron cops who go off the deepend will be known as an ALF!
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Rouge cops (dumb asses) think since they know how everything works, they are too smart to get caught. I saw catch all the dirty pieces of crap, the more that are caught the better. The only bad thing is the way the public views ALL of us when one is such a piece of crap.

Smile your on candid camera!!!!!!!
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    Just what we need. Another idiot with a badge that makes us all look bad to the public.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants.” – Jeff Cooper'

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    I'd like to know what his background was.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    How much do you want to bet that the guys who worked with him wondered how he got hired in the first place and knew he hung out with thugs?
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    How much do you want to bet that the guys who worked with him wondered how he got hired in the first place and knew he hung out with thugs?
    Thats what I was getting at. Did he actually have the qualifications or was he another AA hire?
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    Thats what I was getting at. Did he actually have the qualifications or was he another AA hire?
    Regardless of the cause every department at some point hires people because a bureaucrat was trying to fill a position and was willing to go to the bottom of the barrel.

I know we have a couple guys who have been weeded out now, but everyone knew they were involved with thugs and shouldn't have been hired in the first place. It's just a matter of time before they out themselves with their terrible behavior. We had ours fired with their shenanigans. I know we'll have more again, it's just a matter of time.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Dumb, ditty do, dumb, dumb! What an idiot. Gee, I don't know about this. I wonder, how, if you are shot twice at close range in the vest, would there be some evidence - like, bullet holes, powder burns, etc? I reiterate: what an idiot!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

drunkhunter is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    No disciplinary history, huh? I bet they don't use progressive discipline.

Thread Information