Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Cop accused of fake sex exams

http://lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...=2008808130370

August 13, 2008

2 plead not guilty in fake sex exams

James Walsh
    The Journal News

Criminal sex-abuse charges were leveled yesterday at a suspended Ramapo police officer and a Monsey businessman accused of masquerading as gynecologists.
    Andrew Dale, the 34-year-old police officer, and Zalman Silber, an insurance agent turned entrepreneur, were released without bail by Judge Catherine Bartlett after pleading not guilty in Rockland County Court in New City.
    Silber and Dale are accused, together and individually, in a 34-count indictment charging them with the felony of performing medical examinations without a license between 2005 and 2006. The indictment unsealed yesterday before Bartlett also accused Dale and Silber of four counts of fourth-degree aggravated sex abuse, a felony, and 24 counts of third-degree sex abuse, a misdemeanor.
    All of the charges involved the same woman and stemmed from incidents in Rockland.
    The indictment also charged Dale with official misconduct relating to his employment as a police officer.
    The District Attorney's Office declined to comment or offer details on the charges, which emanated from an investigation it started late last year.
    David Goldstein, a Chestnut Ridge attorney representing Dale, and Silber's attorney, William Aronwald of White Plains, predicted that their clients would be vindicated at trial.
    "This is a defense attorney's dream and a prosecutor's nightmare," said Aronwald, a former federal and Manhattan prosecutor, after Silber's arraignment.
    Goldstein said numerous issues would come out at trial and that "there will be no plea bargain in this case."
    "The case will be tried and dismissed," he said.
    At a meeting tonight, the Ramapo Town Board could reach a decision on disciplinary charges that the Police Department brought against Dale, an officer for 10 years, who has been suspended without pay for about two months.
    "The Town Board will consider what action to take in regard to the pending disciplinary charges," Town Attorney Michael Klein said yesterday.
    In regard to the criminal charges made public yesterday, Klein said: "The town is deeply troubled by allegations involving a town police officer. We're confident the matters will be dealt with properly by the criminal justice system."
    Silber, 41, was released on $10,000 bail posted last month in Manhattan, where he's also accused of seven misdemeanor charges of sex abuse and felony practicing a profession without a license.
    He did not speak during yesterday's court session and smiled into video cameras as he left his lawyer to address reporters.
    Dale, a crew-cut former Marine, was described in court by Goldstein as a married father of two children with an "exemplary record" as a police officer.
    "He's lived in Rockland County his whole life," Goldstein said of Dale, who has also been a volunteer firefighter and an ambulance worker. "He obviously knows not to run," Goldstein said, as he asked for his client to be released without bail "and to not do anything except to appear and stand trial."
    Before walking out of the courtroom, Dale's handcuffs were removed so he could sign an order of protection that forbade him from contacting the woman involved in the case.
    Silber, a former insurance agent, founded New York Skyride in the mid-1990s, a company that simulated helicopter tours of New York City from the Empire State Building.
    He later sold the company for $9 million.
    Aronwald told Bartlett that Silber, a married father of five children, "was not a flight risk, not a danger to the community."
    "He's had ample opportunity to flee prosecution if that was his intent," Aronwald said.
    Silber and Dale are due in County Court on Sept. 9. That's a time when defendants typically give their responses to potential plea agreements.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    At first blush, this looks like there's a woman with an ax to grind.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    At first blush, this looks like there's a woman with an ax to grind.
    Reading the comments on the story it sound's like it's the cop's ex-wife who is mental and dissatisfied with alimony. I guess it will all come out in the trial.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, I agree. 24 counts. 2 years ago. By the same woman?

Yeah, good luck with that.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Thread Information