Welcome to the APBWeb.
    PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired

Plane Crashes Into CHP Inspection Facility

This could have been more tragic than it was! The pilot was the only casualty.

A small plane slammed into the front of the California Highway Patrol weigh station shortly after 6 p.m. Wednesday, killing the pilot, according to Gilroy Fire Battalion Chief Phil King.

The crash shattered windows, broke water pipes inside the building and sparked a small fire. Thick black smoke could be seen for miles but quickly dissipated as about 25 firefighters from Gilroy, Santa Clara County and CalFIre extinguished the fire.

There were no other injuries because CHP officers spent the day training and the building was vacant, according to CHP Assistant Chief Troy Abney. Everyone who had been there left by mid afternoon, he said.

"Ironically, today was training day," Abney said. "Man, I'm glad it was closed today." It will remain so until at least Thursday afternoon, Abney said, as Federal Aviation Administration investigators, assisted by CHP personnel, figure out exactly what happened.

Until then, John Godwin just has his observations. The flight instructor at San Jose's Reid-Hillview Airport and the plane's co-owner sat in his truck at the beginning of the South County Airport runway when he saw his 1977 single-engine plane suddenly veer off its steady landing approach. It crashed into the CHP building, which sits east of the highway, less than a mile south of the San Martin airport.

"It was coming in steady as a rock, wings perfectly level on either side," Godwin said.

"It was hard watching it Marty gave new meaning to the phrase conservative pilot," Godwin, 69, said of the pilot, who had been his good friend for more than 20 years and was also one of the plane's three co-owners.

"He would spend 45 minutes during pre-flight, inspecting stuff, when most guys spend about 10 minutes," Godwin said.

The plane was registered to the company Silicon Rallye and to the name Martin Shapiro, according to FAA records. Marty was an "angel pilot" who would fly needy residents to and from far-away medical care in the four-seater plane, Godwin said. Shapiro was such a careful professional pilot that he wanted to do some practice landings at San Martin before returning to Reid-Hillview Airport with the plane's new paint job: the reason it was down here, Godwin said.

After taking off northbound, Shapiro circled around and came back for a northbound landing on the same runway. The cautious practice landing went awry, though, as the plane crashed into the thick concrete facade of the CHP building, just north of the undamaged, large bay windows looking out over U.S. 101. The weigh station, on the northbound side of U.S. 101 between Morgan Hill and Gilroy, is located less than a mile south of the airport.

As he remembered his friend, Godwin stood in the twilight in front of his truck as media helicopters hovered above the highway. His license plate bore the same alpha-numeric combination, N711BZ, as the destroyed plane. The charred rudder of the navy blue and white plane flapped in the wind while firefighters whisked about, but only the 'Z' and half the 'B' could be seen. A twisted body of blackened metal was all that remained of the fuselage. The facade of the building was covered in soot.

Ricardo Lopez was riding his bike behind the weigh station when he saw the plane flying low as if it was going to make a landing.

"It looked like it was going to land," the Sycamore Avenue resident said. "It sounded like an explosion," he said of the loud crash he heard when the plane plowed into the building. "I was scared."

Lopez's neighbor, Leona Reif, was heading back to her home at 12280 Sycamore Ave., from her friend's house where she was dropping off fresh fruit from her orchards when she saw a plume of smoke rising from above the station. Worried that it was her house, which is situated directly behind the station on the other side of a sound wall, she stepped on the gas, she said.

"The smoke was so close to my house," she said. "It was a shock, all that black smoke. I didn't know where it was coming from."

Hermila Rodriguez was at her home making dinner when she heard sirens racing by her home on Sycamore. She didn't hear the crash because she was in her home but said that thick, black smoke filled the sky above the crash. Soon three media helicopters hovered over the scene, which reeked of diesel and burned plastic.

Traffic was not blocked, but it had slowed to a crawl as of 6:45 p.m. More than two dozen motorists were standing next to their parked cars on a nearby overpass watching as emergency personnel worked the scene.

An hour later, just five engines were on scene. Most of the onlookers had left, and firefighters continued to cut open the roof and douse the smoldering guts of structure's roof.

Article with pictures: http://www.gilroydispatch.com/news/2...-weigh-station

Gilroy Dispatch
    August 20th, 2008
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    See Training does save lives!!!

Could have been much worse my condolences to the family of the pilot.
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I wonder what happened with the plane. Pilot or mechanical error? Or were they trying to be a Japanese Zero. Sorry, couldn't help it. Glad to see that there were no LE in the building.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I must admit I was chilled reading this headline. I distinctly remember the last time I read it. Thoughts and prayers for the pilots family.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thread Information