Welcome to the APBWeb.
    BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO

Lawsuit accuses W.Va. police chief of stopping CPR on gay man

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- A small-town police chief was accused in a federal lawsuit Thursday of stopping a would-be rescuer from performing CPR on a gay heart attack victim because he assumed the ailing man had HIV and posed a health risk.

Claude Green, who did not have HIV, died a half hour after his June 21, 2005, heart attack in the southern West Virginia town of Welch. The lawsuit filed on behalf of family members seeks unspecified damages against the town and Chief Bobby Bowman.

"This loss ... was tragically senseless," said Rose Saxe, a lawyer for the American Civil Liberties Union, which filed the lawsuit. "He was simply a gay man in Welch, West Virginia. And because of that we can only assume that Chief Bowman assumed he had HIV and it was unsafe to even touch him."

Bowman called the allegations "a bold-face lie." He said he called an ambulance and that the 43-year-old Green was taken to a nearby hospital in "no more than nine minutes."

"No one refused him CPR as his sister and mom are saying," the chief said. "They can do what they want but if they're saying I refused him CPR that is no way true."

The lawsuit accuses Bowman of stopping Green's friend, Billy Snead, from performing CPR after Green collapsed while driving through the town of about 2,400. Snead, who was a passenger in Green's truck, was able to gain control of the vehicle and immediately start chest compressions. The lawsuit said the chief physically stopped the CPR because he knew Green was gay and assumed he was HIV positive.

When asked if he knew if Green was gay, Bowman would not answer and referred questions to assistant McDowell County Prosecuting Attorney Danny Barie, who also represents the City of Welch.

Barie said Thursday he had received a copy of the complaint but could not comment because he had yet to review it and discuss the allegations with Bowman.

Welch Mayor Martha Moore also said she only recently learned of Green's death and could not comment.

Saxe said Bowman's actions "substantially contributed to Claude's death" and violated the Americans with Disabilities Act, equal protection laws and due process rights.

"It just don't seem real. I can't accept it," mother Helen Green said through tears. "I don't think I'll ever accept it and the circumstances of the way he died."

Green's sister, Mary Mullins, said the family wanted to file the lawsuit to prevent similar situations from happening again.

"Life is so precious," Mullins said. "On that day there was so little respect shown for his life. They stripped him of his dignity and that's something I think about every day."

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Sounds like a grieving family is looking for someone to blame, and they think they've found their scapegoat.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Cheech Guest
    It should be more of a issue that this person may have had a contagious disease. Not because he was gay. That has nothing to do with it and I only hope that wasnt his reason for stopping it.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    The way I see it, when I'm at work, I assume everybody has HIV, AIDS, TB, and Hepatitis A through Z

And I will NOT perform mouth to mouth on someone without some sort of barrier. That's why I carrier a little plastic barrier in my wallet, because I dont' go anywhere without my wallet.

And actually, the American Heart Association (or red cross, I don't remember) has said doing compressions is better than doing nothing at all. You dont' HAVE to give breaths.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Daynathepayna is offline bad to the bone
    Yes, I can't remember the last time someone contracted HIV from doing chest compressions.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074
    That's why I carrier a little plastic barrier in my wallet, because I dont' go anywhere without my wallet.
    Your not spose to keep your condoms in your wallet jmur it gets them to hot and ineffective

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by BEK320
    Your not spose to keep your condoms in your wallet jmur it gets them to hot and ineffective
    Damn

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074
    The way I see it, when I'm at work, I assume everybody has HIV, AIDS, TB, and Hepatitis A through Z

Exactly

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BEK320
    So, yuor saying I may potentially have illegitimate bastard children roaming the country?
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    Don't worry about it. You have to use them for sex not baloon animals.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    Don't worry about it. You have to use them for sex not baloon animals.

oh....now it's on

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Thread Information