Welcome to the APBWeb.
    pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Appropriate Use of Force?

http://www.channel3000.com/news/17282042/detail.html

Kenosha Police Officers Shot At During Call
    Officers Responded To Stabbing Complaint

UPDATED: 6:27 pm CDT August 24, 2008

KENOSHA, Wis. -- Two Kenosha police officers were shot at early Sunday morning while responding to a stabbing complaint.

Police said the officers arrived at the scene shortly before 4:30 a.m. They saw a man running and shooting toward a van and a group of about 20 people gathered nearby.

As the squad car approached, police said the man turned and started shooting at the officers, hitting the hood of the car.

The officers hit the 19-year-old man with their car and drove him into the front porch of a residence before taking him into custody, police said.

The shooting suspect, identified as Narciso Esquivel, of Kenosha, was treated at a local hospital for minor injuries and is being held in Kenosha County Jail pending charges.

No one was hit by the bullets. Police said the gun used was reported stolen in July.

Kenosha police said that detectives are continuing to investigate the original stabbing complaint in which a 29-year-old man had been stabbed in the back and sustained what are believed to be non-life-threatening injuries.

Police are investigating both incidents to determine if they are connected.
    Copyright 2008 by Channel 3000. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Deadly force situation. Absolutely appropriate if they had no time to get out of the car, take cover, and return fire.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Nice restraint on the part of the officers. IMO they should have run over the scum.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Nice work on them.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I was taught to either be moving or taking cover in gun fight.....they managed to do both kinda sorta.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I was taught to either be moving or taking cover in gun fight.....they managed to do both kinda sorta.
    I agree.. I used the question title to catch peoples eye. This is what I've told rookies to do if the shooter is right in front of them.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Definitely appropriate. If the guy is shooting from the front, the engine block is DEFINITELY the best cover available. Coming out from behind cover in this situation would have presented a definite tactical advantage for the bad guy. Staying stationary is NOT tactically sound when your threat is mobile. Reversing is retreat, and is giving up ground you have gained up to that point, and would have done innocent bystanders no good. The ONLY option in this situation is to stay behind cover (the engine block) and using a whatever deadly weapon is immediately at hand and deployed (the car) to eliminate the threat.

I say making that fucker a hood ornament with the Thug Intervention Technique was a pretty good way to eliminate the threat.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    I'd imagine it's a lot easier to mash the gas pedal and run a guy over than it is to exit the vehicle, draw a pistol, get a good sight picture, and put the bullet right where you want to, all while taking rounds and fighting the adrenalione dump.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    1. Narciso Esquivel is NOT from Kenosha....and should be immediately returned to wherever the hell he came from!

2. In a shooting situation, ANY force necessary to terminate the little turd is a no-brainer.

3. Your cover story about having to extract his dead body from the front suspension needs to be clever.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Great job by the Officers, sounds completely fine to me.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    The car is just one more tool in your arsenal. Use it.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Narciso "the speed bump" Esquivel
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    The officers involved used a weapon of opportunity in a deadly force situation. The gloves are off on such occasions. Jackass shouldn't have brought a gun to a car fight. Way to improvise and overcome what started out as a tactical disadvantage.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Thread Information