Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Talking Teacher suspended after refusing to let student go to the bathroom....

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- A Florida high school teacher who refused to let a student go to the restroom has been recommended for suspension.
    The student instead used a trash can to relieve himself in a classroom closet.
    The Pinellas County school system said Lesley Campbell violated school policy in November by unnecessarily embarrassing the high school junior.
    Campbell said the teenager indicated he might use the trash can if she didn't let him go, but said she was astonished when he actually grabbed the can and headed for the closet.
    Campbell teaches English and has taught at Clearwater High for 20 years.

She has requested a hearing on the recommended suspension.

Cheech Guest
    SMart. I remember they use to try and not let you go to the bathroom. If I had to go I would just walk out. Now if it was number 2 I headed to the nurses office. There bathroom is cleaner.

Daynathepayna is offline bad to the bone
    The kid was probably being a pain in the ass and looking for all kinds of reasons to leave the room. I figure by the time a guy is in highschool he should have enough control to use breaks between classes to use the washroom.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Dayna, that may work in some schools, but anymore (at least here) the break between classes is barely long enough to allow you to get from one class to another. Even when I was in high school, they disallowed visiting your locker between classes to cut down on hallway congestion. It's supposed to be aimed at cutting down on loitering in the hallways but in reality it means the students can't take care of necessary functions without taking time out of class.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Daynathepayna
    The kid was probably being a pain in the ass and looking for all kinds of reasons to leave the room. I figure by the time a guy is in highschool he should have enough control to use breaks between classes to use the washroom.
    As Ducky said the breaks are not that long, not to mention you have to anymore travel long distances to get to the restroom. You have to rember that the schools that you all went to are not the same as the ones that students go to today. Hell I graduated in 2001 and I still had to walk long distances to and from each class.

Also telling a student that they can not use the restroom can actually cause serious harm to the persons body. Your body tells you to go to the bathroom for a reason. Being a pain in the ass or not is not an excuse for potentially causing a child harm.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Daynathepayna is offline bad to the bone
    The highschool I went to is still in use today and it was there a couple of decades before I attended. Maybe you went to some kind of mega school, I don't know. There is nothing in this article stating how large this school was or how far apart washrooms are from classes. From my standpoint and what I have experienced as a teacher in several schools students have lunch breaks and spares. A serious, mature student will plan bathroom visits during these times. Most reasonable teachers will allow a student to take care of natures' call without question. I don't have a problem with that and would never refuse.

I am not really sure what transpired in this particular case, I can only speak from my 20some years experience of working with school kids of all ages that some are a royal pain in the ass who will use any excuse to get out of class and create havoc if they don't get their way. The teacher in this case may have been totally nuts, but then again the student may well have been a trouble maker and a pain in the ass. I am just trying to give the teacher the benefit of the doubt. Again we don't have all the facts with regards to the incident.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I know I didn't go to a mega school, but with a three minute break between classes - five if you're lucky - and well over four thousand students changing classes all at the same time, you're lucky to push your way through the hallways in that time. If fortune smiled on you, your next class was right next door, but most of the time that wasn't the case by any means. And while I know for a fact that some students are "pains in the ass" I also know that there are some teachers who just love being a dictator and refusing basic human privaledges to their students. This kid may well have been a pain in the ass, but if that were the case he should have been sent to the principal's office well before he took a leak in a trash can.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson

Cris1102 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2001
    Also telling a student that they can not use the restroom can actually cause serious harm to the persons body. Your body tells you to go to the bathroom for a reason. Being a pain in the ass or not is not an excuse for potentially causing a child harm.

..... ..........rep coming your way Chris.

All I can say is I am very glad I homeschool my son. There would be some serious issues between this woman and me if it were my son.
    Last edited by Cris1102; 03-06-06 at 06:28 AM.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Daynathepayna
    The highschool I went to is still in use today and it was there a couple of decades before I attended. Maybe you went to some kind of mega school, I don't know. There is nothing in this article stating how large this school was or how far apart washrooms are from classes. From my standpoint and what I have experienced as a teacher in several schools students have lunch breaks and spares. A serious, mature student will plan bathroom visits during these times. Most reasonable teachers will allow a student to take care of natures' call without question. I don't have a problem with that and would never refuse.

I am not really sure what transpired in this particular case, I can only speak from my 20some years experience of working with school kids of all ages that some are a royal pain in the ass who will use any excuse to get out of class and create havoc if they don't get their way. The teacher in this case may have been totally nuts, but then again the student may well have been a trouble maker and a pain in the ass. I am just trying to give the teacher the benefit of the doubt. Again we don't have all the facts with regards to the incident.
    There is no such thing as benefit of the doubt when you are putting a child health at risk. As the others have stated not every school even small schools give 5+ minutes passing periods. Hell I only had 3 minute passing periods and it was all you could do to get to your locker and to class on time.

While you maybe a teacher I am still not sure you understand the great risks that doing this to a student could potentially cause. I agree that there are a lot of students in high schools these days that are being total jerks and such to the teacher's. At the same time I would hope that if your child was told they could not use the restroom that you would be highly pissed off. If you wouldn't be then I am not sure you understand the consequences to the human body that it has.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

There's to many "unkowns" to be arguing various points surrounding this story. Let's try and get more info....
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Prometheus is offline Senior Member
    The pain is too much!
    Permission to leave denied-
    A trashcan awaits.
    "Look, just give me some inner peace or I'll mop the floor with you!"

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    I went to a high school of 3000+ students & always had time to take a squirt when needed. Based on the info provided It's hard to say if the kid was a disruption or had some medical issues. As a parent, I would not tolerate my kid disrupting his class. I also would not tolerate him being mistreated by a teacher.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Damn snobby ol' English teachers - The only teachers I hated worse in school were my History teachers.

She's automatically guilty because of the subject she teaches. My science & engineering professers were 10 times as smart and thought half as much of themselves.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Cris1102 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Damn snobby ol' English teachers - The only teachers I hated worse in school were my History teachers.

She's automatically guilty because of the subject she teaches. My science & engineering professers were 10 times as smart and thought half as much of themselves.
    BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    At least he did not give her a golden shower
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    It woulda served her right

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Well, when I don't let my dog out in time, he likes to lift leg on the table leg. The teacher should feel lucky the kid didn't go that way with it.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Prometheus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TattoodDucky
    Well, when I don't let my dog out in time, he likes to lift leg on the table leg. The teacher should feel lucky the kid didn't go that way with it.
    The next time my Mother-in-Law's dog lifts his leg on any of my property, I'm gonna put it in a cast for him.
    "Look, just give me some inner peace or I'll mop the floor with you!"

Thread Information