Welcome to the APBWeb.
    PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired

Off Duty LAPD Officer Shoots Motorist in Road Rage Incident

CORONA--A case of ‘road rage’ is at the center of an officer-involved shooting that left a motorist dead.

Investigators have made no arrests in the wake of the incident.

The off-duty LAPD officer, Antonio Mendez, claims the other motorist sideswiped his Hummer and then sped off down Interstate 15 with the officer in pursuit.

Sheriff’s spokeswoman Herlinda Valenzuela explained what happened when both men drove into a parking lot on Temescal Canyon Road.

“Both drivers exited their vehicles and a verbal confrontation ensued. The off-duty officer attempted to detain the hit-and-run suspect and there was an officer-involved shooting.”

The 50-year-old man was hit once and died minutes later at a Corona hospital.

There was no indication he was armed.

A child in the officer’s Hummer was not injured. Mendez, who's been with the LAPD for two years, has been placed on leave.

Story Date: August 26, 2008
    http://www.inlandnewstoday.com/story.php?s=3421
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Not casting blame, but I question why the officer followed the other vehicle at 100+ MPH with his one year old child in the car? Witnesses interviewed on the news tended to side with the officer that the other motorist became physically aggressive, but no weapon was seen or found.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I hate to say, but I would say it was a case of a newer officer thinking how dare he do this to me. I will show him what is going to happen. Plain and simple if a civilian did this we as police would be why the hell did you follow the vehicle, you should have stopped after obtaining the license plate. This could have been a very minor hit and run, but know one person is dead and the other possibly could lose everything.
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Kind of what I was thinking. Way too many people are way too quick to lose their tempers these days. He should have let it go after obtaining a plate number, especially since he was off duty at the time. On duty and possibly in a marked vehicle (may not make any difference) is a totally different story. Makes me wonder what the officer was like before he became an officer.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I respect your guys' opinions, but Rule #1 for me. I'm giving the cop the benefit of the doubt until I hear more. We have enough naysayers, no need to become one until the rest of the story comes out.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    http://www.inlandnewstoday.com/story.php?s=3421
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Not casting blame, but I question why the officer followed the other vehicle at 100+ MPH with his one year old child in the car? Witnesses interviewed on the news tended to side with the officer that the other motorist became physically aggressive, but no weapon was seen or found.
    I'll cast blame for the chase, but not the shooting.

Chasing the other motorist at 100MPH with a kid in the car was stoopid.

As for the shooting, didn't see enough in the story to see why he shot him, so no comment.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Well this certainly changes things.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_10301698

Officer kills man who allegedly tried to steal child

The Associated Press
    Article Launched: 08/25/2008 08:10:18 PM PDT

CORONA, Calif.—An off-duty Los Angeles police officer has killed a man who allegedly tried to snatch the officer's toddler out of his vehicle in Corona.

The Los Angeles Times reports the officer and an unidentified driver got into a minor traffic accident Monday.

As the two exchanged information, a male passenger from the other vehicle allegedly tried to grab the officer's 1-year-old child from his car. The officer shot the man. No names have been released.

Julianne Sohn, a Los Angeles police spokeswoman, says the case is under investigation.
    No other information has been released.
    ———
    Information from: Los Angeles Times, http://www.latimes.com

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Additional proof to the story

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,3481265.story

L.A. officer shoots man dead in Corona

The officer and another motorist were involved in a traffic accident on Temescal Canyon Road in the Dos Lagos area. As they were exchanging information, the officer fired at the man.

By Andrew Blankstein, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    August 26, 2008

An off-duty Los Angeles police officer fatally shot a man after a traffic accident in Corona on Monday.

Initial police reports said the man had tried to snatch the officer's 1-year-old child from the officer's vehicle, but Riverside County Sheriff's spokesman Jerry Franchville said later there was no evidence that the man had attempted to take the child, who was unhurt.

The officer was involved in a minor traffic accident about 3:45 p.m. with an unidentified driver on Temescal Canyon Road in the Dos Lagos area, authorities said. The two were exchanging information when the officer fired at the motorist. The man was later pronounced dead, authorities said.

andrew.blankstein@latimes.com

Not a LEO

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    In that case, if true, the shooting sounds good. I'd immediately shoot someone who tried to take one of my sons.

The chase is still an issue.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Agreed on the chase, some jurisdictions don't even let Marked Police Units chase at 100M.P.H. The shooting is still up in the air one report states the perp tried to take the kid, one said he did not.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired

UPDATE: More In-Depth Article

There was no attempt to kidnap the infant. No one seems to know how that erroneous bit in information leaked out and got published. Probably an enthusiastic wannabe reporter.

Off-duty LAPD officer who shot man at Corona store identified

10:00 PM PDT on Tuesday, August 26, 2008

By PAIGE AUSTIN
    The Press-Enterprise

CORONA - An off-duty Los Angeles police officer who shot and killed an unarmed man in Corona after a hit-and-run collision was placed on leave while three law enforcement agencies investigate.

The Los Angeles Police Department on Tuesday identified the officer as Antonio Mendez, an employee of two years with the LAPD's Office of Operations. As is standard in officer-involved shootings, Mendez was placed on administrative leave, said Officer Ana Aguirre, an LAPD spokeswoman.

His fate depends on whether the shooting was justified and whether he followed his police department's guidelines for off-duty officers, Aguirre said.

"It's our job to try to determine whether the homicide was justified or whether it's manslaughter," said Riverside County sheriff's Investigator Jerry Franchville.

The LAPD's manual gives wide discretion to off-duty officers who maintain their police powers and responsibility to protect the public.

However, it also directs off-duty officers outside their city limits to defer to the local law enforcement agency, if at all possible, and not make the arrest themselves. An exception would be any "tactical situation" where the officer feels it necessary to act immediately to protect the public.

According to investigators, Mendez was driving north on Interstate 15 just before 4 p.m. Monday in a white H2 Hummer with his 13-month-old son in the backseat when he was sideswiped by a Toyota Tundra. A witness called the California Highway Patrol and reported that the two vehicles continued up the freeway at about 100 mph, Franchville said.

The vehicles exited the freeway at Weirick Road. They parked outside the Seven Oaks General Market and Deli, and the motorists exchanged words, Franchville said. The 50-year- old driver of the Tundra advanced toward the officer, who then shot the man once in the chest, Franchville said.

The man was transported to Corona Regional Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

As of Tuesday evening, investigators had not released the man's identity because his family had not been told, they said.

The Sheriff's Department will work with the district attorney's office to determine what, if any, charges should be filed, Franchville said. Depending upon the results of the investigation, it could be ruled a justifiable homicide or a case of manslaughter, authorities have said.

Mendez has cooperated with investigators, who continue to try to sort out conflicting statements from numerous witnesses, Franchville added.

Central to the investigation is whether Mendez identified himself as a police officer, as required, and whether the other man threatened him before the shooting. There were several witnesses, including a passenger in the Toyota Tundra, Franchville said.

Joe Varela, a salesman at the Seven Oaks Nursery, watched the incident unfold.

"A truck came into the parking lot at a high rate of speed with screeching tires, and I started to walk over there to tell him to slow down," Varela said.

But then the Hummer pulled into the parking lot and a man jumped out with a gun, Varela said.

"I didn't know he was a cop," Varela added. "(Mendez) kept telling him to get down on the ground two or three times, but he wouldn't listen. He just kept walking forward aggressively like he wanted to fight."

As the driver of the truck closed the distance, Mendez shot him in the chest at close range, Varela said.

"I didn't hear him identify himself and I didn't see his badge at all," Varela said. "At the time, he just seemed like some guy to me, but given the warnings, I don't know why the other guy didn't get down on the ground. It was obvious that the next thing that was going to happen was that he was going to get shot."

The Riverside County Sheriff's Department is investigating the shooting while the California Highway Patrol handles the accident investigation. The LAPD is conducting its own internal investigation of the officer's role, a process that could take close to a year, Aguirre said.

While investigators remain cautious in drawing conclusions, witnesses and community members were quick to judge.

"I don't care who you are, you call 911 in that situation," said Wayne Southworth, a salesman at the nursery. "You don't chase someone down the freeway, pull a gun on him, tell him to get down on the ground and shoot him. He was a trained policeman -- he didn't need to shoot him."

"Everybody in the neighborhood is so upset. It's so sad and so wrong," said Rose Darrah, who lives in a mobile home park across from the shooting.

"He had a baby in the backseat. Who would drive like that with a baby in the car? And then to pull out a gun in the parking lot in front of everyone -- it's shocking to see that kind of thing in your neighborhood especially from a police officer," Darrah said.

Authorities are asking anyone with additional information to call Investigator Joe Leclair, with the Riverside County sheriff's Central Homicide Unit, at 951-955-2777.

Reach Paige Austin at 951-893-2106 or paustin@PE.com

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/s...7.496a623.html
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Still reserving judgment, but on the face of that article...yikes.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Authorities are asking anyone with additional information to call Investigator Joe Leclair, with the Riverside County sheriff's Central Homicide Unit, at 951-955-2777.
    How glad are you that you aren't that guy? What a @#$@!#%$ mess.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    How glad are you that you aren't that guy? What a @#$@!#%$ mess.
    Agreed. I really would not want to be in the middle of this one, especially if it runs bad. The community as usual has already made it's decision.
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

Thread Information