Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Sarah Palin's staff accused of trying to get Palin's ex-brother-in-law fired from state trooper job, and then firing commissioner who defended him

Former Department of Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan on Friday said that since Gov. Sarah Palin took office, members of her administration and family pressured him to fire a Palmer Alaska State Trooper to whom her sister was involved in a bitter child custody battle.

Monegan said phone calls and questions from the Palin administration and the governor's husband, Todd Palin, about trooper Mike Wooten started shortly after Monegan was hired and continued up to one or two months ago.

The governor herself also had a brief conversation with him about Wooten in February, Monegan said.

The new assertions from Monegan, who has been mostly silent on his abrupt firing July 11, conflict with what the Republican governor said earlier in the week. She said she never put pressure on the commissioner to fire her sister's ex-husband and no one from her office had complained about Wooten. She has also said replacing Monegan with Kenai Police Chief Chuck Kopp had nothing to do with Wooten. She has offered little explanation for the dismissal.

A former political rival and current harsh critic of her administration, Andrew Halcro, has charged in his blog that the firing was because Monegan would not fire Wooten.

But Monegan says pressure came from those around Palin, including former Palin chief-of-staff Mike Tibbles, Department of Administration Commissioner Annette Kreitzer, and director of boards and commissions Frank Bailey.

Tibbles, who is now the campaign manager for Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens, said Friday he couldn't comment on whether he spoke to Monegan about Wooten.

Palin spokeswoman Sharon Leighow said Bailey never had such a conversation with Monegan.

Monegan, though, did not open a new investigation into the allegations or fire the trooper.

"They weren't getting the message." Monegan said. "The fact that they tried for better than a year while I was there is kind of indicative that somebody was trying to pressure something. Because they were trying different venues and different people."

Todd Palin called a meeting with Monegan to specifically talk about Wooten shortly after his wife took office in December 2006, Todd Palin said on Friday.

Monegan says Todd Palin talked to him several times after that about Wooten. Todd Palin said, though, he couldn't recall if he had any conversations with the commissioner about his ex-brother-in-law outside of that initial meeting.

"But I know I've never told him to fire trooper Wooten," Todd Palin said.

The meeting occurred in the governor's office, but the governor was not there, Monegan said.

Todd Palin showed Monegan the work of a private investigator the Palins hired. The Palins accused Wooten of drunken driving, illegal hunting and child abuse, among other charges.

The governor's husband says the family was concerned about the governor's safety. The Palins say that Wooten threatened to kill Sarah Palin's father and made vague threats to her that he would "bring me down."

Monegan said he told Todd Palin that he would look into Wooten. The then-commisioner, though, found that the allegations had already been investigated with an internal trooper investigation in 2005. All but two -- an illegal moose killing and a Tasering of an 11-year-old -- were found to be unsubstantiated. Wooten was disciplined.

In February, the governor brought up Wooten's name to Monegan, according to Monegan. They were walking together to wish Sen. Lyman Hoffman a happy birthday. "I told her I needed to keep her at arm's distance and she shouldn't be involved," he said. "She said, 'OK, that's a good idea.' "

Bailey was the latest to contact him about Wooten. He called a trooper commander, and several others, before the calls ended up in Monegan's lap. Monegan called him back.

" 'We can't do this. This is not what we are supposed to do,' " Monegan said he told Bailey.

Col. Audie Holloway, head of the troopers, reached on Friday said the governor never spoke to him about Wooten. Nor did anyone in the governor's office. But asked if anyone in the administration had, he said: "I can't answer that."

Todd Palin on Friday said he spoke to Holloway about Wooten after he saw Wooten on a snowmachine in April 2007. He gave Holloway a photo of Wooten on the machine, demonstrating what he thinks is a violation of his worker's compensation claim.

Monegan says the troopers looked into it and found that it probably occurred but was not something that warranted a dismissal.

Todd Palin on Friday said he didn't think his conversations about Wooten to Monegan and Holloway had any effect.

Wooten is still employed as a trooper in Palmer. He and his ex-wife, Sarah Palin's sister Molly McCann, continue to have a troubled relationship since their divorce in 2005. On Sunday, she called 911 because he would not hand over their young children to her, she said this week. She was scared, she said.

Wooten showed up at the governor's picnic in Mat-Su on Friday. Todd Palin said he was gone when the governor got there. "He's riding his high-horse right now," Todd Palin said. "He thinks he's untouchable (because of all this.)"

Monegan said he still isn't sure why he was fired but thought that Wooten could be part of it. "I don't know that it's all of it. ... I worked at the pleasure of the governor," he said.

Monegan said he decided to say something after his week of silence because "I'm watching the stresses put on everyone I used to work with. And, these guys are good people," he said. "This may be one of the few things, one of my last things, to support them.

"You know, they can't fire me twice."

http://www.adn.com/politics/story/469135.html

By MEGAN HOLLAND
    mholland@adn.com

Anchorage Daily News

Published: July 19th, 2008 02:08 AM
    Last Modified: July 19th, 2008 04:21 PM

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    This is absolutely ridiculous.

She's been named as McCain's V.P. pick now for what, 6 hours?

I fucking hate the news media. Not just for this, for almost everything they do.

And yes, you can quote me.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    go looking for news articles on Sarah Palin?
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    This is absolutely ridiculous.

She's been named as McCain's V.P. pick now for what, 6 hours?

I fucking hate the news media. Not just for this, for almost everything they do.

And yes, you can quote me.
    This was published July 19th, 2008, before the media or anyone else thought she had an Alaskan snowball's chance in Washington DC of becoming McCain's Vice-President. I saw references to this on lefty blogs, which of course are going to dig up every potential skeleton in her closet ASAP just like right-wing blogs tried to dig stuff up on Obama and Biden.

I can't tell for sure whether Palin did something wrong. It's possible she was justified and just getting an unfair shake from the press, but then again I also thought the rumors about John Edwards having the affair were false until he admitted to them. In any case she's not as skeleton-in-the-closet-free as they seem to be claiming.

Ace
    Ace is offline haud pacis pro scelestus
    Verified LEO
    Of course she was justified. He served an appointed position at her pleasure. The Trooper in question actually wasn't fired. He did however get caught driving drunk and poaching...
    RIP Sarah Noll~11-8-87 to 4-17-08

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    This was published July 19th, 2008, before the media or anyone else thought she had an Alaskan snowball's chance in Washington DC of becoming McCain's Vice-President. I saw references to this on lefty blogs, which of course are going to dig up every potential skeleton in her closet ASAP just like McCain (and Hillary ) tried to dig stuff up on Obama and Biden.

I can't tell for sure whether Palin did something wrong. It's possible she was justified and just getting an unfair shake from the press, but then again I also thought the rumors about John Edwards having the affair were false until he admitted to them. In any case she's not as skeleton-in-the-closet-free as they seem to be claiming.
    So, rather than the media jumping on the opportunity as soon as she was named McCains V.P pick....it was YOU, Jenna????

Regardless, republican, democrat, I don't care, they're all assholes. Along with the media that reports on them.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    So, rather than the media jumping on the opportunity as soon as she was named McCains V.P pick....it was YOU, Jenna????

Regardless, republican, democrat, I don't care, they're all assholes. Along with the media that reports on them.
    I agree the media is often sensationalistic and misrepresents people, but how else are we going to find out about what candidates for national office have done? At least the media are a bit more objective than the candidates themselves, or their opponents.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    This was published July 19th, 2008, before the media or anyone else thought she had an Alaskan snowball's chance in Washington DC of becoming McCain's Vice-President. I saw references to this on lefty blogs, which of course are going to dig up every potential skeleton in her closet ASAP just like right-wing blogs tried to dig stuff up on Obama and Biden.

There is a big difference between publishing a story full of speculation about a past situation where a Governor was the cause of an at-will employee being dismissed, and a Senator who has terrorist, Muslim, and criminal ties and has said things that are very controversial.

And I don't understand how this makes her less 'skeleton-in-the-closet-free as 'they' seem to be claiming, whoever 'they' is. This is all pure speculation, and this is all they can come up with. I guess she's a lot better than the V.P. candidate who said you had to be Indian to work at a 7-11, that Obama wasn't ready to be President, and that he'd be proud to serve on the presidential ticket with John McCain because the country would be better off!

I am so sick of fucking liberals and there double standard horseshit. Yes, you're one of the libs I am referring to, Jenna!

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I was expecting Jenna to post this, and I was prepared for it.

Palin requested the investigation, as she knew she would be ok. As it turned out, it was one of her staff members who did this.

That, and the trooper needed to be fired, but I won't go into that on this side of the house.

Also, the commissioner was fired because he was going behind her back to the legislature for money. You do *not* go over the head of the executive on budget issues.

Edited to add: I actually thought she would have posted this sooner, but maybe she was busy listening to Air America.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    I'm less than surprised at the reactions posted here and that's all I have to say.
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

Quote Originally Posted by jcsdscott View Post
    I'm less than surprised at the reactions posted here and that's all I have to say.

Why send out the tease if you don't want to discuss it? Let's hear it!!!!! Don't be skeered!

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Why send out the tease if you don't want to discuss it? Let's hear it!!!!! Don't be skeered!
    Term you devil you, you definitely are a master baiter but I'm not biting, yet.

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

Talking

Just like a typical liberal. No balls.

Verified LEO
    If you were worried about my balls or lack thereof, I'd say take a look at my kids

If you were worried about my balls or lack thereof, I'd say take a look at my kids

I think somebody's cracking. Let it out.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I think somebody's cracking. Let it out.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Man, that popcorn tastes mighty good. Think I'll have some more.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You know McCain made the right pick. The libs and the media are in panic mode. Find something!!! Find something!!! By the way, I am with Maclean, I dug into this story today too. See ya on the verified side.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This is interesting from the Hillary Clinton message boards:

http://www.hillaryclintonforum.net/d...ad.php?t=26179

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Wow, Five-0....wow!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information