Welcome to the APBWeb.
    CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Ok you guys in LE, whens the last time you did this?

Oh, Baby! Modesto cops help woman give birth in car

http://www.modbee.com/local/story/416396.html

Officers make special delivery on Labor Day

By EMILIE RAGUSO
    eraguso@modbee.com
    last updated: September 03, 2008 12:08:03 PM

Two Modesto policemen spent part of their Labor Day assisting a woman in labor, helping her deliver a healthy baby boy in a parked car just one block from the hospital.

"I've been out on 'shots fired' calls, no problem," said officer Steve Anderson, an eight-year veteran of the department. "But this one actually made me a little shaky.

"I've never seen anything like it," he said of witnessing the birth.

Anderson and officer Ben Kroutil were on patrol and had stopped at McHenry and Orangeburg avenues when a man across the intersection jumped out of his car to flag them down.

"I rolled my window down and he said, 'My wife's having a baby,' " Anderson said. "He was frantic."

Brenda Resendes, 26, had started feeling contractions about 9:20 a.m. after being due to give birth the day before. Monday, she took a hot shower and made herself special tea to help speed delivery. Her last birth, said husband Jose Blanco, had taken 12 hours. She told him she didn't want to go through that again.

The home remedies worked better than expected. The couple headed for Doctors Medical Center just before 11 a.m. as the contractions grew closer.

"He's going to come out, he's going to come out," Resendes told her husband during the trip.

"Hold on," Blanco told her. "We're going to make it."

Resendes told him she was afraid the baby was going to die. Blanco sped north, looking for the hospital.

"Is it on Roseburg?" he asked.

"No, keep going!" she told him.

Stopped at a red light on Orangeburg, Blanco said, his wife pulled down her pants. By the time the light turned green, the baby was halfway out. Blanco spotted the police and started honking. He got out and started waving.

The officers told Blanco to drive to the nearby Chevron. As they pulled into the parking lot, Kroutil pulled on rubber gloves.

The police opened the passenger door and saw Resendes in the fully reclined seat. She was "panicky and scared," holding in her hands the head and shoulders of Jesus.

"All that was left was the ankles," Kroutil said. The baby was born moments later. Anderson cleared Jesus' airway with his gloved finger. Kroutil rubbed Jesus' tiny chest to stimulate his breathing. Blanco, 31, took off his shirt to clean and wrap the baby.

Engine 5, from the Modesto Fire Department, arrived soon afterward. Fire personnel gave Blanco scissors so he could cut his son's umbilical cord. They gave Blanco a shirt. As he put it on, the impact of what had happened hit him.

"That's when it all set in, and I started crying," Blanco said Tuesday, sitting on the edge of a hospital bed as his wife held their baby in a rocking chair. The couple's 6-year-old daughter, Xitlali, sat on Blanco's lap.

"I'm just grateful to the firefighters and police," he said. "If it wasn't for them, I really wouldn't have known what to do."

Resendes and her son were taken by ambulance to Doctors Medical Center. Jesus weighed in at 7 pounds 13 ounces, and medical staff said he was healthy. The two likely will be released from the hospital this morning.

The officers appeared nearly as awed by the birth as Jesus' parents, shaking their heads outside the hospital as they described the experience. After the birth, they went to Target and bought Jesus some outfits, including clothes decorated with police cars and firetrucks.

"I just feel like I instantly bonded with them, holding their newborn baby," said Kroutil, whose wife had a baby girl two months ago. "I showed them pictures of my daughter to try to calm them down. I just feel really attached to that family. It was a good day."

Bee staff writer Emilie Raguso can be reached at eraguso@modbee.com or 578-2235.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    NO!

Thank God.

I don't want to be in that region when anything is coming out.

No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    NO!

Thank God.

It WAS Labor Day.

That was a nice story.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    2001 or 2002.

I wasn't working the PD, but one of my shifts on the Fire Department when I worked there alot.

Jmur, it's not that bad. Adrenaline kicks in and you don't realize how disgusting it is.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    Well....In moments like those, I remember my First Responder training and the ABC's:

Ambulance Be Coming!
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    I don't help take'em out, I help make'em.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    NO!

Thank God.

Clarification there? Do you mean California or viewing and assisting the birth or both?

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    Well....In moments like those, I remember my First Responder training and the ABC's:

Ambulance Be Coming!
    Thank God they only had to drive 2 blocks.

Not a LEO

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Headline in local liberal news:

Cop fondles woman's gaping bloody vagina.

--

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    Clarification there? Do you mean California or viewing and assisting the birth or both?
    I make them.....the babies.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I make them.....the babies.
    Yeah we all know that you want a bunch of little Term's and Termettes running around your house.

Not a LEO

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Ender.....that was bad.....
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    It is not that bad, as long as everything comes out smoothly. I had 3 deliveries while on Patrol, one the baby came before EMS arrived, we just put the baby on the mother's lap and waited for them to cut the umbilico cord. The second birth, luckily EMS got there as the baby was crowning. The third was a still born, that was a bad one. Years ago, EMS used to give out Stork pins afterwards. It is not as messy as you think, the messy part comes afterwards, by that time you let EMS or the doctors handle it.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    I am proud to say I have had a grand total of Nada.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Thread Information