Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Do you think the Confederate Flag represents racism?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 13.79%
  • No

18 62.07%
  • It doesn't matter what it did represent, that was the past, this is now

6 20.69%
  • What's the Confederate Flag?

1 3.45%
    Terminator is offline BANNED

North Carolina celebrates the Confederate Flag with an all white celebration...

North Carolina marks Confederate Flag Day with a salute to the flag and the heritage many defenders of the flag say it represents.
    Not everyone wants the heritage to be remembered as something to be proud of, though.
    The Charlotte News & Observer reports hundreds crowded the state House chamber Saturday, sang "Dixie" and saluted the flag -- along with a Civil War-era state flag and the current U.S. flag.
    The event -- which the newspaper described as all-white -- was sponsored by the N.C. Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.
    Many Americans, black and white, see a link between the confederate flag and a pro-slavery, Jim Crow, white supremacy attitude, the newspaper said, but the flag is still honored in the south.
    University of South Carolina history professor Clyde Wilson said the response to the confederate flag is only a mask for a hatred for the South.

Do you think the confederate flag represents racism?

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    Good for them.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    No it doesn't. I've seen quite a few people drive around with south african flags in their car who are clearly from the U.S. as a symbol of their heritage .. From what I recall.... The south african flag stood as a symbol of slavery for a hell of a lot longer than the U.S. Confederate flag stood over the Southern States. Oddly enough, no one bitches about that.....

Cris1102 Guest
    No, I do not think the flag represents racism in and of itself. But I am sure there are probably people out there that do use it for that reason. But it's America. It's wrong to ban a flag because of what a certain group of people think of it. Everyone prides America on free speech until the Confederate Flag is brought up.

I agree with Clyde Wilson's statement.
    Last edited by Cris1102; 03-06-06 at 09:32 PM.

mxwelch is offline Kalashnikitty
    Many Americans, black and white, see a link between the confederate flag and a pro-slavery, Jim Crow, white supremacy attitude, the newspaper said, but the flag is still honored in the south.
    That's because many Americans were never taught proper history in school. The Civil War never started over slavery. Slavery was bought into it for a moral anchor by Lincoln after nothern citizens grew tired of war. Slavery was wrong and needed to be abolished but the flag didn't represent that, at least to my family. Most of my family fought for the south and there is no record of any of them owning slaves.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    The sad thing is that a lot of white supremacists have taken the stars and bars as their own. I think that's why some people associate with racism. It's too bad, I wish they'd leave it the hell alone and just stick to their Swastika.

I was taught in school in Texas that states rights was the real reason for the civil war, but let's be honest here. The right they were fighting for was to have slavery.

My great grandfather fought in the 13th Alabama Regiment, Co. D. and was wounded in the hand and lung at Gettysburg. He was hardly a slaveowner either, he couldn't even read and right. I got a copy of his application for a Confederate Pension from the state of Texas and he signed all the documents with an "X". On his tombstone, all he has on it is his name and his Confederate army outfit. Obviously, I've done a lot of research on him and just recently located his grave just outside Dallas.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    You said it Retdetsgt!

That's interesting about your great grandfather!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Verified LEO
    Thanks, it was kinda interesting how I found that application for a pension. I needed to get a birth certificate for a passport some years ago and was playing around the state of Texas website. I found this section about Confederate pension applications so I ran his name through and there was one! It cost me the princely sum of $3.65 for them to send me a copy of it. It's really something to read. There are three affidavits from other old vets who state he served with them at various battles, including Cold Harbor.

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

BEK
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    The sad thing is that a lot of white supremacists have taken the stars and bars as their own. I think that's why some people associate with racism. It's too bad, I wish they'd leave it the hell alone and just stick to their Swastika.

I was taught in school in Texas that states rights was the real reason for the civil war, but let's be honest here. The right they were fighting for was to have slavery.

My great grandfather fought in the 13th Alabama Regiment, Co. D. and was wounded in the hand and lung at Gettysburg. He was hardly a slaveowner either, he couldn't even read and right. I got a copy of his application for a Confederate Pension from the state of Texas and he signed all the documents with an "X". On his tombstone, all he has on it is his name and his Confederate army outfit. Obviously, I've done a lot of research on him and just recently located his grave just outside Dallas.

The swastika is over 3000 years old The word "swastika" comes from the Sanskrit svastika - "su" meaning "good," "asti" meaning "to be," and "ka" as a suffix. It wasnt until the nazi party took it over for luck that it was turned into an evil symbol. History needs to be learned and understood so one does not look foolish when they start an arguement. for the bars and stars allong with swastika information google it. Sorry I kinda watch the history channel too much http://www.luckymojo.com/swastika.html

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    I needed to get a birth certificate for a passport some years ago and was playing around the state of Texas website. I found this section about Confederate pension applications so I ran his name through and there was one! It cost me the princely sum of $3.65 for them to send me a copy of it. It's really something to read. There are three affidavits from other old vets who state he served with them at various battles, including Cold Harbor.
    Neat! I never knew Texas.gov had that type of Archive!

I see the Archives now - Texas.gov's search pointed to it:
    http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/search/index.html
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 03-07-06 at 08:33 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by BEK320
    The swastika is over 3000 years old The word "swastika" comes from the Sanskrit svastika - "su" meaning "good," "asti" meaning "to be," and "ka" as a suffix. It wasnt until the nazi party took it over for luck that it was turned into an evil symbol. History needs to be learned and understood so one does not look foolish when they start an arguement. for the bars and stars allong with swastika information google it. Sorry I kinda watch the history channel too much http://www.luckymojo.com/swastika.html
    Yeah, I know that, I watch the History Channel too! The symbol was also used by Native Americans.

But the Swastika has been previously identified with racism, etc. and not with anything else in the last hundred years or so. Let them stick with that instead of adding other stuff. I doubt anyone else was affected when the Swastika was taken by the Nazi's like the Stars and Bars were when the White Supremacists took it.

Cheech Guest
    here is my flag bizotches!

BEK
    Verified LEO
    Flag from My Homeland
    Attachment 175

Prometheus is offline Senior Member
    My flag:

Arrrrr, Mateys!
    Last edited by Prometheus; 03-08-06 at 09:40 AM.
    "Look, just give me some inner peace or I'll mop the floor with you!"

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    And suddenly I'm reminded of Periscope Down...
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    LVOG, didn't you hear? They changed the mexican flag.

I think I've got a new version around here somewhere.. ahh .. here it is.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    lmao!

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    My flag:

Arrrrr, Mateys!

i hope youre not an ASS pirate...lol

Thread Information