Welcome to the APBWeb.
    CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Driver who hit 5-year-old high on marijuana

Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    I always bring stuff like this up when I'm told that Marijuana doesn't cause any harm.
    Chalk another one to the record books, PGG. Sad when it happens to a 5 yr old kid.

Racing04, is this anywhere near you? Just wondering.

http://www.northplattebulletin.com/i...15086&pageID=3

Driver who hit 5-year-old high on marijuana
    by Frank Graham (North Platte Bulletin) - 9/11/2008

A 19-year-old North Platte man who hit a 5-year-old bicycle rider with his car May 18 was sentenced to 18 months probation.

Andrew J. Bruce, was also ordered to get a drug and alcohol evaluation, meet with the boy’s parents in victim mediation, abstain from alcohol and bars and surrender his driver’s license for 60 days by Lincoln County Judge Kent Turnbull.

Bruce, driving a 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage westbound on West Second Street just after 6 p.m. when he struck Christian C. Wholford, 5.

Wholford was riding behind his mother and father. They had crossed the street to the south side (eastbound lane) in front of the high school, according to a police report. The report said Christian followed his father and began to cross the street when he was struck.

He was not wearing a helmet.

The boy suffered numerous cuts and abrasions and a broken leg. He was taken to Great Plains Regional Medical Center the life-flighted to Denver.

Bruce stopped his car and prosecutors said he had the strong odor of marijuana on him. After failing sobriety tests, he was arrested for driving while intoxicated. Officers also found a small amount of marijuana in his possession.

Bruce had not been drinking, prosecutors said, but was under the influence of marijuana. A urine test revealed marijuana in his system.

Bruce was originally charged with driving while intoxicated in an accident that causes serious bodily injury but that charge was reduced to a standard driving while intoxicated.

The reason, according to Deputy Lincoln County Attorney Todd Engleman, was that none of the doctors who attended to Wholford would say the boy suffered “serious bodily injury.”

“The doctors, under oath during depositions, refused to say the injuries were serious,” Engleman said. “They said the broken leg was a clean break, was set expertly and was fine when they were being deposed.”

Engleman said he wasn’t sure why the doctors refused to testify that the boy suffered “serious bodily injury” but their refusal limited the state’s options.

Prosecutors amended the charges to first-offense driving while intoxicated, third-degree assault and possession of a small amount of marijuana, an infraction.

Bruce was fined $100 for possessing the marijuana.

Bob Lindemeier, Lincoln County Public Defender and Bruce’s attorney, said there was a question of whether the boy darted out in front of Bruce. He said a video camera in the high school parking lot captured the accident and that he had viewed it.

“The father crosses the street, leaving the 5-year-old by himself,” Lindemeier said. “Then the boy proceeds to pull across the street. At that time of day the sun was in Mr. Bruce’s eyes and he did not see the young man.”

Lindemeier said that Wholford came “flying out in front of him and, unfortunately, Mr. Bruce never saw him.”

“He immediately stopped and he does not contest the fact that he was under the influence of marijuana,” Lindemeier said. “His insurance company paid the limits of his policy to the young man’s family.”

“Mr. Bruce spent 40 days in jail and is very remorseful,” Lindemeier said. He said Bruce’s father, who was in the courtroom, is also concerned, wants his son off drugs and is very supportive.

Judge Turnbull said he would like to offer an observation from the bench.

“A 5-year-old, on a 50-pound bike verses a 2,000 pound vehicle,” Turnbull said. “Guess who’s going to get the brunt of that one?”

Turnbull said there was nothing scarier to a parent than losing a child and he wanted Bruce to experience that, which was why he ordered victim mediation. He also said it would get really bad for Bruce if he “screwed up on probation.”

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I agree, this article hit a little bit close to home for me.

Some 20 ish years ago at the age of 8, Kittylynn's sister was hit by a car while crossing the street in a crosswalk controlled by a stop sign. Thankfully only her leg was broken, though the fracture was across the growth plate. Though the driver in this case was not DUI, they did have to physically pry his hands off of the steering wheel. He was white as a ghost. He thought he had killed the little girl. Happily today, my sister in law is alive and well with kids of her own. I couldn't imagine what life would be without meeting her or my wife growing up had this tragedy been much worse.

People need to be more careful and cognizant of their actions. There could be ramifications to them.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    you would be amazed how many people are shocked that they are being arrested for DUI with Marijuana, I've also arrested people for DUI with perscription drugs. In my area about half of the DUIs are marijuana. The only DUI fatalities I've responded to up here have been because of Marijuana.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    You must have some really stupid hippie's up there, PGG. Either that, or they have been on marijuana so long that the drug has killed off what remaining brain cells they had left. I bet you have to tell them that DUI stands for Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol and / or Drugs. "Since Marijuana is a drug, guess what? You're going to jail."

Not a LEO

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    It's very tragic and heart-wrenching that this happened to this baby.

But marijuana wasn't driving that car. A person was.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    True, not blaming the drug itself here. I blame the person who chose to drive under the influence of that drug.

Not a LEO

Kittylynn is offline NOT A SLUT!!!! DAMMIT!!!
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    The guy who was in the accident with my sister was a classmate of mine! He and I were in the same homeroom class at the high school...He had only gotten his license the month before the accident. Like CTR said, he was so scared that they had to pry his hands off the steering wheel. He found out she was my little sister and appologized in person. I told him not to stress, it was just an accident. My sister was (and still is) rather petite and small for her age. He just didn't see her in front of his truck.
    It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you aren't!

Adopt a virtual pet today! Check out neopets! It's fun and free. All ages play!

racing04 is offline Master Officer
    CTR--Yes this town is 4 hours from where I work..Just read about that the other day..
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take,its measured by the moments that take our breath away

Thread Information