Welcome to the APBWeb.
    bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

Enouth is Enough

School bans rosary beads, claims they're gang symbols

Posted: Sep 18, 2008 05:16 PM EDT
    Updated: Sep 18, 2008 05:16 PM EDT

DALLAS, TX (NBC) - A Texas high school student says she was forced to remove her rosary before going to classes because the school considers it is a gang symbol.

Tabitha Ruiz, 16, said she was stopped at Seagoville High School after she went through a metal detector and told to take off her rosary.

"I was going through the metal detectors, and they looked at me and they saw the rosary and told me to take it off because it's gang-related," she said.
    The Dallas Independent School District said in a statement that items that represent a gang are prohibited.

"Students are not allowed to wear logos or symbols that represent a gang," DISD said. "Dallas police identified a rosary as a gang symbol."
    But Dallas police said a rosary is not considered a gang symbol.
    "Rosaries are not considered gang symbols unless the person is a known gang member or he/she is wearing a red or blue rosary in conjunction with other red things like shoe laces, belt or bandana," police said in a statement.
    Ruiz's mother, Taire Ferguson, said she was stunned to hear a rosary was considered a gang symbol.

"My first reaction was, 'Gang people don't have Jesus. Maybe they need Jesus,'" she said.

Ferguson said it was "unacceptable" for the school to ask her daughter to take off the rosary.
    She said item is just a symbol of her daughter's Christianity.
    "She's never been in trouble. She's a good kid," Ferguson said.
    She said she is ready to take the case to court.

"This is ridiculous for the school district to claim that a clearly religious symbol, a cross and rosary beads, are somehow banned them because they don't approve," said Hiram Sasser of Liberty Legal.
    ============================== =========================

Wonder where the teachers and principal got their education? The Soviet Union???

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    God's gang maybe?

Yeah, that's it. God's gang!

(Buncha heathens.) May they burn in hell for stoopid stuff like this.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Kittylynn is offline NOT A SLUT!!!! DAMMIT!!!
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    It's just another sad example of people's blindness and stupidity when it comes to the subject of religion, it's an excuse to get the kids away from any religious influence, even for the few hours they are at school. They want us all to be, act, and look the same! No one wants to allow our children to grow up with a good healthy sense of identity and self worth. This next generation is going to grow up into fearful, paranoid, drones!
    It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you aren't!

Adopt a virtual pet today! Check out neopets! It's fun and free. All ages play!

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    jmur,if you had ever attended a Catholic school you would know thats true.

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    I can tell you why. Hispanic/Latino gangs supposedly have a religious base and a rosary IS one of the things they wear. White T shirt, khaki pants/shorts, a rosary and a cholo walk screams gangbanger to me.

Sounds like this kid was a victim of someone taking a good symbol and corrupting it. OR....shes a banger's GF and is bitching so she can get some $$ cause someone "offended" her.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mavriktu View Post
    jmur,if you had ever attended a Catholic school you would know thats true.

I did and I do know how true it is LMAO!!!!!

I saw this article a few days ago. While I understand freedom of religion, when I grew up we would never wear a rosary around our neck. It isn't a necklace and isn't meant to be used as one. If she wishes to show her failth, a small cross on a chain would be more appropriate. Rosary is meant to be used while praying and when doing the stations of the cross, not as an ornament.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Thread Information