Welcome to the APBWeb.
    kannahspapa is offline An old cop the kids call Grandpa.
    Verified LEO

Iowa Appeals Court Overturns Conviction

According to the news the Iowa Appeals Court has reversed the conviction of Chicago Police Officer Michael Mette. It was sent back to the original court with an aquittal order. He was convicted in a 2005 case where after being struck 3 times and retreating he defended himself
    from being hit a 4th time. He stopped the aggression with 1 punch. The presiding judge at the original trial, Judge M. Ackley, said that the off-duty, out of state officer was not defending himself, that he should have kept retreating. The Appeals Court said that there was NO TESTIMONY to support Judge Ackleys findings that Mette could have retreated further without being hit again. The prosecutors haven't decided whether or not to appeal it to the Iowa Supreme Court. Off. Mette's family is hoping to have him home by the end of the month. Hopefully he can get home and get on with his life.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Great news. This was a seriously screwed up case...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Now the jerk-off prosecutors and the useless Judge Ackley should be made to compensate Mette for all damages and costs incurred in this case. The original ruling was devoid of any logic, and defied even the letter of Iowa statute.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'm glad this has finally happened. I would say Ofcr. Mette has some unfinished business though with the prosecution in that case..
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

kannahspapa is offline An old cop the kids call Grandpa.
    Verified LEO
    From what I understand and have read the judge and da have NO civil liability in this matter. If that is correct I think it's total BS. The retired Chief in northern Indiana was found guilty of violating a guys civil rights for kicking him after being kicked, so it would seem that Judge Ackley violated Mette's civil rights by ILLEGALLY placing him in prison for a year. I know that's not gonna happen, but hey it wouldn't be the 1st time that I've been called opinionated.

Thread Information