Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Attaboy

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO

Smile Attaboy

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/1276106.html

Retired cop springs into action

in purse snatching

By Kim Minugh - kminugh@sacbee.com

Published 12:00 am PDT Tuesday, September 30, 2008
    Story appeared in OUR REGION section, Page B3

He might have retired the badge, but not the instinct.
    Lloyd Kearns was headed home to Elk Grove last week after getting his Ford F250 pickup serviced downtown when his 31 years of experience as a Sacramento police officer kicked in.
    He saw two teens riding their bikes suspiciously slowly down X Street east of 15th Street. He saw ahead of them an older woman swinging her clutch purse in her left hand. He saw one of the boys put on a hood.
    What the 62-year-old Kearns saw next was, in his mind, almost textbook: The hooded teen sped up, pedaled to the woman's left side, snagged the purse and bailed.
    "I knew pretty much immediately they were targeting her for a purse-snatch," said Kearns, who retired from the department in 2002. "I took off after him."
    The teen biked down 19th Street and then darted down an alley but not fast enough to shake Kearns. The retired cop followed him in and out of alleyways and around the carwash on Broadway.
    "My diesel sounds like a Mack truck," Kearns said. "He looks back at me, and I see this look of terror in his eyes."
    The teen almost got lucky. He ditched his bike and jumped a fence; Kearns did not follow.
    At that point, a nearby resident came out of his house to ask Kearns about the commotion. Together, they tracked down the suspect in the bed of a parked pickup and held him until the cops the non-retired kind arrived.
    Kearns' said it was then that his instinct faded. He had no problem turning over the 17-year-old suspect for others to book and letting his involvement end there.
    "You know what? It was a good rush, the chase and the capture," he said. "I felt good."
    It wasn't all fulfilling. Not only did the purse get lost in the excitement, so too did the victim (police are asking her, or anyone who knows who she is, to come forward).
    And Kearns did walk away with some bruises and a swollen hand, which gave his wife an "I told you so" opportunity.
    "Now do you remember why you retired?" she asked him.
    She's right, he says at least until he spots the next crime in progress.
    Said Officer Konrad Von Schoech, a police spokesman:
    "Once in your blood, always in your blood."

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I have been told that Once a Cop, Always a Cop. Sometimes it rubs off on their kids.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Good shit. Retired cops may turn in their badges and guns, but never their hearts.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Way to go!!

Now there's the guy I'd work with. Hell he does more than some of our guys who AREN'T retired!
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    YAY. That's nice to read about
    Arm the sheep!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Once a sheepdog, always a sheepdog!

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Once a sheepdog, always a sheepdog!
    Ruff , Ruff, Ruff!!!!( Good Job!!!)
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Buttercup is online now Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That is awesome!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Swollen hand huh Officer Kearns? Did his face accidently run into your hand a few times sir? I see, these things happen. No sir, you don't have anything to worry about. Well I take that back, you are going to have to meet at the bar of your choosing in a few hours when I get off duty for a beer.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Job Well Done!

Quote Originally Posted by 10-42Adam View Post
    Good shit. Retired cops may turn in their badges and guns, but never their hearts.
    Very true! Thankfully, in NY we turn in our badge but not our guns and ID's.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    I was lucky enough to keep my issued badge as it was #118, It was my dad's before me and when I retired they were reserving the 100 series for Sgt's Got to buy my Mod 15 issued 38 as they were converting to sig 9mm's.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Thread Information