Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO

Pirates? Are you kidding me?

What the hell is going on over there?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/africa....ap/index.html

MOGADISHU, Somalia (AP) -- There have been four failed pirate attacks in the last 24 hours off the lawless Somali coast despite the presence of six American warships guarding a hijacked ship full of weapons, a U.S. Navy spokeswoman said Saturday.
    Navy Cmdr. Jane Campbell, from the 5th Fleet in Bahrain, says three attacks were averted because crew members escaped at high speed.
    Another attack was foiled because the pirates were badly prepared: The ladder they had brought to climb on to the ship was too short.
    The Navy says three of the attacks were in the heavily patrolled corridor within the Gulf of Aden. The location of another was not precisely known but was somewhere off the Somali coast.

Last week's attack on a Ukrainian ship laden with 33 Soviet-designed tanks and weapons has focused international attention on piracy in Somalia. American officials have expressed fears the weapons onboard the MV Faina could fall into the hands of Somalia's al Qaeda-linked Islamic insurgency. Watch Russian warships move to confront pirates
    Eight European countries have offered to help form an anti-piracy force. On Friday, Russia called for greater efforts to protect the Gulf of Aden waters, one of the world's most important shipping lanes. There have been nearly 70 pirate attacks this year and some 26 ships successfully hijacked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I blame the Pirate-glorification promoted by "Talk Like a Pirate Day".

Hawk1 is offline Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Yeah..but they aint that smart. I've read they have only demanded US$20 million for the russian T55 tanks and all other stuff (including the cargo freighter)

Kinda like Dr Evil asking for "1 million dollars" (in your best Dr Evil voice)......

Idiots..just scuttle them
    "Contrary to popular belief, you will not rise to the occasion, but will fall to the level of your training"

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk1 View Post
    Idiots..just scuttle them
    That's my sentiment. If the shipping company was too stupid to put protection on a ship carrying military weapons and traveling through heavily pirated waters it's their own stupid fault.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I wonder if pirate activity goes up on "Talk Like a Pirate" Day. Maybe the day provides a cover story for pirates--if they get caught, they can just claim they were just celebrating "Talk Like a Pirate" Day!

Also I wonder if sometimes when a ship gets boarded by pirates on "Talk Like a Pirate" Day, people on the ship think it's just a practical joke.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO

Talking

They were quoted as saying that they were prepared to "fight to the death" to keep the tanks.

I say, What the Hell.....let em fight to the death.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I wonder if pirate activity goes up on "Talk Like a Pirate" Day. Maybe the day provides a cover story for pirates--if they get caught, they can just claim they were just celebrating "Talk Like a Pirate" Day!

Also I wonder if sometimes when a ship gets boarded by pirates on "Talk Like a Pirate" Day, people on the ship think it's just a practical joke.
    Now that's some funny stuff!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Thread Information