Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

New Florida law makes speeding 50+ mph over the limit a $1,000 fine, with a third offense being a $5,000 fine

Brazen motorcyclists and drivers now will be clobbered with a fine in the four figures $1,000 and up if they get busted for excessive speeding on Florida roads.

And for the bikers, there are additional new rules, including a ban on "popping wheelies," or lifting the front wheel off the pavement.

Under a Florida law that took effect this month, drivers face a $1,000 fine for going 50 mph over the speed limit.

Get caught a second time and you'll fork over $2,500 and lose your license for a year. You'll pay $5,000 for the third offense and forfeit your license for 10 years.

Previously, the harshest penalty was $250 for exceeding the speed limit by more than 30 mph. That penalty is still in effect.

On the second day the new law went into effect, officers using airplanes to track traffic cited 80 people for excessive speeding in a 1 1/2 -hour period Thursday evening on the southern end of the Palmetto Expressway in Miami-Dade County.

One motorcyclist was clocked at 150 mph. A Ford Mustang hit 145 mph.

"I expected we'd see two or three, but there was one right after the other," said state Rep. Carlos Lopez-Cantera, R-Miami, who drafted the new law to deter speeders from turning highways into racecourses.

Lopez-Cantera's bill initially targeted reckless motorcyclists on racing-style motorcycles. But the Legislature broadened it to include all motorists after motorcycle riders complained it was discriminatory.

A second part of the law requires that motorcyclists keep both wheels on the ground at all times. Bike owners also must attach their license tags horizontally.

If the plate is mounted improperly, officers can fine the rider $1,000. The intent was to penalize riders with "flip-up" tags that can be turned so the tag isn't readable a ploy used by speeders.

But it also might hurt riders with customized bikes, such as choppers with designs that might make normal plate mounting impossible, said James Lesniak, president of the southeast chapter of the local motorcycle rights group ABATE.

"You get a guy who pays $80,000 for his bike, rides it out of the shop the first day, and a few blocks away gets a $1,000 ticket," Lesniak said. "I think this is absolutely ridiculous."

"Big Ed" Youssef, president of the Outsiders Motorcycle Club, a sports bike club with about 50 members, said the law is unfair but probably necessary.

"You have a lot of independent riders going out there doing whatever they want," Youssef said. "The machines are so fast, police can't keep up with them. Unfortunately, a lot of good riders are going to get caught in the crossfire."

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Well if your bike isnt' built to accommodate the law....accommodate the bike. Duh.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    50+ over the limit gets a trip to jail here, I think.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I wish states would get as tough on DUI. Speeding in my opion is not near as dangerous as slow drivers on the interstate. I only clamp down on speeders in construction zones residential areas, and during special events ie high school football games.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I wish states would get as tough on DUI. Speeding in my opion is not near as dangerous as slow drivers on the interstate. I only clamp down on speeders in construction zones residential areas, and during special events ie high school football games.
    What, expect Supreme Court Justices and Legislators to stop drinking and obey the law? You got to be kidding. Why do you think DUI laws are so ambiguous? Lawyers(Legislators) write the law. Wait until a couple of big shots get caught in Fla. The law will be changed.

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    In Oregon exceeding 100mph is a $1100.00 fine and 30 suspension.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Yeah, that's reckless driving, 30 days in jail and/or $200. I'm arresting their ass if I can catch them.

I might add Deadly Conduct to that, which is a Class A misdemeanor, just for good measure. It probably wouldn't fly because it's traffic, but it certainly fits the definition.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    Here in Florida if you are caught going 30 mph or more above the speed limit, it is a mandatory court appearance. This has been in effect for about two years now. The fine is up to $500.00, but if it is a school or construction zone it goes up to $1,000.00. You can lose your license on a second offense (or first if the judge does not like your driving history). Before this new law came into effect, we usually stroked a careless driving citation to those motorcycles popping wheelies and such, in addition to any other violations we caught them with.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    California 25 over is reckless @ officers discression reckless carries 5-90 days in jail plus $145-$1000 fine If injury 30 days-6 months in jail and $220-$1000 fine. Reckless is optional cite or book. Popping a wheelie can be considered reckless also.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
    California 25 over is reckless @ officers discretion reckless carries 5-90 days in jail plus $145-$1000 fine If injury 30 days-6 months in jail and $220-$1000 fine. Reckless is optional cite or book. Popping a wheelie can be considered reckless also.
    Don't they have a mandatory court appearance here in CA? Seems that I remember being called to serve on a jury where the defendant had a reckless driving charge that he was fighting. Never did find out the outcome, I was excused by the court. They didn't seem to like the idea that I was related to LE.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    It depends on the judge, but a few will send people to jail for 50+ mph over here.

Speeding 41+ mph over is an 11 point speeding ticket in New York. At 11 points your license is suspended. On top of fines and fees/surcharges, the DMV will fine a "Drivers responsibility assessment" which is $100 per year for 3 years plus $25 per point if you accumulate over 6 points in an 18 month period. In other words a 41+ mph speed will cost $1125 for the DMV alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I agree about states not being tough enough on DWI, but I have to respectfully disagree with you about speeding. Slow drivers can be dangerous, but speeding certainly is. Doubling vehicle speed effectively quadruples stopping distance. Speeders are simply unlikely to be able to stop to avoid an accident. They will either lose control or hit whatever is in front of them. This is especially true at night when people are out-driving their headlights. (The braking distance is greater than visibility distance.) Every fatal collision I've responded to has been caused by one of three things: intoxication (alcohol or drugs), speeding and falling asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    Yeah, that's reckless driving, 30 days in jail and/or $200. I'm arresting their ass if I can catch them.

I might add Deadly Conduct to that, which is a Class A misdemeanor, just for good measure. It probably wouldn't fly because it's traffic, but it certainly fits the definition.
    We can charge for "Reckless Endangerment" here, which I think is easy to articulate when the person is driving double the speed limit. We can charge "Unlawful Fleeing" if the person tries to evade us at 25+ mph over the limit. Both are class A Misdemeanors, punishable by up to 1 year in jail.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Speeding is important, but the penalties inflicted are an abuse by the elected officials looking for extra money because they don't know how to budget correctly.

Speeding is treated too seriously in some instances, as compared to other, more serious offenses.

In North Carolina, you must appear in court and can be arrested for speeding 16+ over the speed limit in at least a 55 mph zone, or anything over 80 mph...even on the highways here, which are mostly 70 mph...yes, 11 over can cost you up to a year in jail, a $1,000. fine, and an automatic revocation of your license on first offense.

It is absolutely an abuse of power to make speeding in ANY instance a $5,000. fine. Sorry.

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Speeding is important, but the penalties inflicted are an abuse by the elected officials looking for extra money because they don't know how to budget correctly.

Speeding is treated too seriously in some instances, as compared to other, more serious offenses.

In North Carolina, you must appear in court and can be arrested for speeding 16+ over the speed limit in at least a 55 mph zone, or anything over 80 mph...even on the highways here, which are mostly 70 mph...yes, 11 over can cost you up to a year in jail, a $1,000. fine, and an automatic revocation of your license on first offense.

It is absolutely an abuse of power to make speeding in ANY instance a $5,000. fine. Sorry.
    I agree that it is over the top to make it a mandatory court appearance/arrest for 16mph over. In NY speeding tickets range from $90-300, fines are doubled in work zones (up to $600). The fines are at the discretion of the judge here; most don't fine people more than $200 even for a habitual offender with a high speed. A $5000 fine for your third time caught speeding at 50+ mph over the speed limit sounds fair to me.

My state made $2.6 billion dollars from the lottery in 2007-2008. Taxes are some of the highest in the country. In contrast I believe the state made much less than half a billion from ticket revenue. The New York state budget has been predicted to have an $8 billion deficit for 2009-2010. Politicians would be wasting their time if they think they can finagle their way out of a budget crisis on ticket revenue alone.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    Don't they have a mandatory court appearance here in CA? Seems that I remember being called to serve on a jury where the defendant had a reckless driving charge that he was fighting. Never did find out the outcome, I was excused by the court. They didn't seem to like the idea that I was related to LE.
    Sorry I don't know.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Thread Information