Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: What do you think about this?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good idea, it is worth the tax payers money to help them feel comfortable at school

1 3.70%
  • Bad idea, this is a waste of taxpayers money

26 96.30%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Chicago to open city's first high school for gay, lesbian, and transgender students

Pointing to studies showing that gay high school students are at greater risk of dropping out because of stigma and fear of violence, Chicago Public Schools leaders said Wednesday that they will recommend opening a campus aimed at these students.

Final approval of the School for Social Justice Pride Campus, designed as the city's first school for gay, lesbian and transgender teenagers, along with 17 other schools, is expected to come Oct. 22 when the Board of Education votes.

Schools chief Arne Duncan said he will ask the board to approve the schools, which are expected to open in the fall of 2009 and 2010, to give greater choice to parents and students. "We want to create great new options for communities that have been traditionally underserved," he said. "If you look at national studies, you see gay and lesbian students with high dropout rates. . . . I think there is a niche there we need to fill."

About 50 people attended a public hearing Wednesday night, with most supporting the school.Supporters said they envision a high school with a maximum of 600 students. It would have the same staffing and oversight requirements as other district schools. Students would be admitted from throughout the city on a lottery basis, officials said. A site has not been chosen.

Chad Weiden, an assistant principal at the Social Justice High School who would be principal at Pride Campus, said the school would incorporate lessons about sexual identity in literature and history classes and offer counseling. The school would be prohibited under state and federal laws from asking about a student's sexual identity, officials said.

A 2003 district survey shows that gay and lesbian youths are three times more likely to miss school because they feel unsafe. On Wednesday, the Gay Lesbian and Straight Education Network released a national survey of more than 6,000 middle and high school students that found that nearly 90 percent were harassed at school and about 61 percent felt unsafe.

At an earlier public hearing, some gay rights advocates said the school would segregate these students and that the district should work to foster acceptance.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Pointing to studies showing that gay high school students are at greater risk of dropping out because of stigma and fear of violence
    Do short kids get their own school? Where's Four-Eye-High? I'd ask where the Nerd School of D&D is, but it wouldn't matter: it's hidden by a protective spell.

A 2003 district survey shows that gay and lesbian youths are three times more likely to miss school because they feel unsafe.
    One picked on group leaves, the other picked on groups take up the slack. Where does this lead?

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I may be in the minority here, but I don't have a problem with this at all. Public schools aren't much better than prisons for the most part, the thugs co-mingle with the students who really are there to learn, and those who are different can't go anywhere alone for fear of a gang beating. And speaking as someone who was on the receiving end of a gang beating more than once, they're really not all that fun.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Leave it to liberals to bring back segregation and sale it under the guise of political correctness.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    If I can't go to it as a straight it's unconstitutional and I'm gonna sue. I really need the money.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

I can understand the idea behind it, and I think the minds behind this concept have good intentions, but it's a bad idea. It's segregation. It's not fair to tax payers...not when there are public schools. We don't need a public school for every type of different race, gender, ethnicity, or sexual preference.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    It's segregation.
    Bam. From the most racist political part of all time: Democrats.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Taxpayers' money has to be spent on educating these kids no matter where they go to school. If there are enough of them to sustain a school of their own, why not? It's no different than having all-girls' schools so that girls who might otherwise be intimidated and/or distracted by boys will have a better chance at succeeding academically.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Taxpayers' money has to be spent on educating these kids no matter where they go to school. If there are enough of them to sustain a school of their own, why not? It's no different than having all-girls' schools so that girls who might otherwise be intimidated and/or distracted by boys will have a better chance at succeeding academically.

The difference is as a rule all girls schools are private schools, and are not necessarily funded by taxpayers. I have a problem with creating separate public schools (funded by taxpayers) for a specific race, gender, or sexual preference. It's segregation. Such a simple concept.

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    I think all of the students (regardless of categorical labels) would benefit more if the money was spent building schools that would allow for smaller class size and smaller overall population. Cramming 5K high school kids into a logistically smaller school, with 40 kids in a 1-teacher classroom, is a recipe for problems.
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I suppose it would be OK if the schools were separate but equal.....what a minute haven't we been there before? Talk about Deja vu

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    The difference is as a rule all girls schools are private schools, and are not necessarily funded by taxpayers. I have a problem with creating separate public schools (funded by taxpayers) for a specific race, gender, or sexual preference. It's segregation. Such a simple concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I suppose it would be OK if the schools were separate but equal.....what a minute haven't we been there before? Talk about Deja vu
    DING DING DING!
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I can understand the idea behind it, and I think the minds behind this concept have good intentions, but it's a bad idea. It's segregation. It's not fair to tax payers...not when there are public schools. We don't need a public school for every type of different race, gender, ethnicity, or sexual preference.

I agree.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    The main problem with racial segregation was/is that some racial groups have less money, property, and property tax bases than others, so if they were segregated the lower-income groups' schools would be underfunded compared to the higher-income groups' schools, and thus unequal. But there's no income gap between the families of gay kids and the families of straight kids, or between the families of girls and the families' of boys, so separate is unlikely to result in unequal for them. Granted, I see some problems with single-sex or single-sexual-orientation education as well (e.g. kids don't get as much of a chance to learn how to deal with and tolerate those of the group not in their school), but there are advantages too, and I don't think the option should be ruled out entirely even for public schools (I also think taxpayer-funded vouchers for students to attend religious and private schools would be fine as long as those schools accept all interested students by lottery regardless of their religion or academic achievements).

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    So the taxpayer is fronting money for a school sponsored by discrimination? I thought that was illegal.

segregation (sĕg'rĭ-gā'shən)
    1. The act or process of segregating or the condition of being segregated.
    2. The policy or practice of separating people of different races, classes, or ethnic groups, as in schools, housing, and public or commercial facilities, especially as a form of discrimination.
    3. Genetics. The separation of paired alleles or homologous chromosomes, especially during meiosis, so that the members of each pair appear in different gametes
    For the sake of not quoting the whole thing....
    the Supreme Court... ruling that segregation was "inherently unequal."
    Sorry can't have it both ways. Extremely bad idea.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The main problem with racial segregation was/is that some racial groups have less money, property, and property tax bases than others, so if they were segregated the lower-income groups' schools would be underfunded compared to the higher-income groups' schools, and thus unequal.
    The main problem with segregation is that it isn't legal.

You do actually read about supreme court cases in school, right?

Separation with equality is a hate crime.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    The main problem with segregation is that it isn't legal.

You do actually read about supreme court cases in school, right?

Separation with equality is a hate crime.
    The reason racial segregation was made illegal was because separate was considered inherently unequal, due largely to the economic disparities between racial groups. Sexual orientation is a different issue because it doesn't involve economic disparities. Also Brown v. Board of Education only addressed segregation that was mandatory, which doesn't appear to be the case here (the article says that no one is allowed to ask about students' sexual orientations, so presumably gay students can choose not to attend this school, and straight students can choose to attend it--it is not mandatory).

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO

Thumbs down

You guys have totally missed the point.....ITS IN CHICAGO! It is therefore automatically a SCAM designed by some asswipe in the school district to SCAM some money somehow. That is the only reason they do ANYTHING like this is Chicago. The most POLITICALLY CORRUPT city in this country.

If anyone cared about these kids, it would be done somewhere else and by people with no axe to grind or angle to be played.

Love ya, kids but this is just another bullshit example of how to screw the taxpayer......and guess what? This is the system that Obama grew up in.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The reason racial segregation was made illegal was because separate was considered inherently unequal, due largely to the economic disparities between racial groups. Sexual orientation is a different issue because it doesn't involve economic disparities. Also Brown v. Board of Education only addressed segregation that was mandatory, which doesn't appear to be the case here (the article says that no one is allowed to ask about students' sexual orientations, so presumably gay students can choose not to attend this school, and straight students can choose to attend it--it is not mandatory).
    You lost your case right after the word due.

Go read Plessy and then Brown, and come back.

The key word you are looking for is "inherently" and not "economic."

To separate them from others of similar age and qualifications solely because of their race generates a feeling of inferiority as to their status in the community that may affect their hearts and minds in a way unlikely ever to be undone. - Chief Justice Warren
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Jenna, go back and read your posts. You are defending discrimination- no matter which way you slice that pie.

What if this was the idea of Bush or McCain? I promise you every person that defends this idea would be screaming it's discrimination.

It's not about party or political lines. It's seperating one group of people from another because they are different. Yes, that means I think an all-boys or all-girls schools is equally wrong. However, there is one inherent difference: those are private schools. Taxpayer money isn't paying for that discrimination.

If you want to set up a private school that teaches intolerence, that's fine by me- my kids won't be going to it. But don't pay for your biggoted ideals with my money.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information