Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

Cool Carbon E7- CopCar of the future

I admit I was skeptical of seeing this computer generated version and dream press release like a year ago, but they finally debuted the Carbon E7- they say the first "purpose built" police vehicle.

Impressive looking at least. I like the idea of a roof integrated 360 degree lighting system if nothing else. Check out the link for a video of the car. No way to embed.
    ----> video ---> http://www.myfoxchicago.com/myfox/pa...Y&pageId=3.1.1

The Carbon E7 is a brand new kind of vehicle from the ground up - it's a 30mpg, diesel-powered, four door sedan - with a 300 hp engine that can go 0-65 in less than seven seconds, has a top speed of 155mph - and is being compared to a jet fighter as far as technology goes inside the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by jalopnik.com
    Carbon Motors E7 Police Car Finally Reveals Video Of Cool Cop Gadgetry Inside

The Carbon Motors E7 has been a long time in coming, but our suspicions of vaporware were abated when we saw real pictures of the E7. Now they've officially been quashed as a still-in-development prototype filled-to-the-brim with cool gadgets has finally been unveiled. The purpose built police cruiser is equipped with a 300 HP diesel engine which will push the car from 0-to-65 MPH in under 7 seconds, a 250,000 mile durability spec, suicide doors, a hoseable interior and integrated bull bars. But it's not really about the car itself, it's about the gadgets.

Carbon Motors E7, For That Robocop In Your Precinct

The car is equipped with a host of cop-centric features like forward looking infrared (FLIR), a built-in touch screen computer with what they're calling ORCA (On-board Rapid Command Architecture). It also has 360 degree surveillance capability, built in high visibility LED lighting, an automatic license plate reader, radiation and biological threat detectors, heck, it's even got seats specially design to be more comfortable when an officer is wearing a fully kitted-out utility belt. This isn't the completely finished product yet, however it's a good look at what Carbon is hoping to get on the market and out on the streets by some time in 2012. Robocop and the Demolition Man would be so proud. [FoxNews Chicago]
    Last edited by OffDuty; 10-16-08 at 10:06 AM. Reason: video URL
    There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...

Canada, huh? Almost made it...

*DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

JAYBIRD33081 is offline CAT: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I think i just got a hard on =)

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    Looks cool however they need to drop the "suicide door" idea.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I was skeptical of this idea when the news article first came out a couple years ago, but now I'm a believer! Sounds like they have integrated some awesome ideas into the vehicle. I love the stealth-like LEDs above the side doors for added visibility. The front of it around the headlights remind me of an Acura TSX.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I think the best thing is that you order your interior electronics (radio, MDT mounts ect) when you order the car. Having different groups install different things at different times causes problems. Ask me how I know.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Having all the equipment built into the car is fantastic. My understanding is that you lease the car from them. When you get to the end of its life they actually take it back and replace it. The company then recycles what they can and prevents it from being operated in the civilian market.

The suicide doors look like they are easier for getting people into the back seat. Is there a problem with them otherwise?
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    The suicide doors look like they are easier for getting people into the back seat. Is there a problem with them otherwise?
    Its not likely but there would be if they popped open on you at 155mph...
    In the past any modern style vehicle with suicide type rear doors wouldn't open unless the front door was opened first, for obvious reasons. I saw in another pic that the doors on this car open independently which would make sense. Its safe to assume that anyone riding in the back would not have the ability to open them from the inside. They best add bars to the back windows though. It doesn't look from any of the pics that it has them.

Also, and It may seem different if I saw a practical demonstration. But do the rear doors open beyond 90 deg.???
    I think with doors that open to the rear would make officers more inclined to be facing their shitbags when putting them in and out of the car. If you tried to stand behind them and they got scrappy with you then it looks like you could be easily pined between them the shitbag and the door... But then I would have to try it out before saying there a bad idea..

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 10-42Adam View Post
    The front of it around the headlights remind me of an Acura TSX.
    My wife and I have a newer Acura TSX. Your right! It does kinda look like it.

Will Durant.

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    All this is great, but will it run on solar energy?

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    All this is great, but will it run on solar energy?
    Diesel.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Diesel.
    Well at least it's not gasoline!

carramrod is offline Rookie
    i like the suicide doors, if they are going to put that much into it they could strap on a turbo for a few more bucks and make a few more horses.
    i still dont see any large agencies ordering a huge number of these cars, its cheaper to just keep the crown vics that they have all the spare parts for

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    That is a pretty kick-ass car. I, however, plan on retiring with my 2004 CVPI in approximately 17-20 years. But my department may decide to put her back on the line when I head to pasture. If that cool car costs $.01 more than a CVPI, my department won't get them. Ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    My understanding is that you lease the car from them. When you get to the end of its life they actually take it back and replace it. The company then recycles what they can and prevents it from being operated in the civilian market.
    Now THAT'S an awesome idea. You know every wacker in the country would be trying to get their hands on one if they didn't...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Verified LEO
    The car really reminds me of a modern day Knight Rider

If you ask me we all should have to bring back the 80's Hasselhoff hair style to drive it...

Will Durant.

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I think the best thing is that you order your interior electronics (radio, MDT mounts ect) when you order the car. Having different groups install different things at different times causes problems. Ask me how I know.
    Okay I'll bite... How do you know?
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by carramrod View Post
    i like the suicide doors, if they are going to put that much into it they could strap on a turbo for a few more bucks and make a few more horses.
    i still dont see any large agencies ordering a huge number of these cars, its cheaper to just keep the crown vics that they have all the spare parts for
    It's a twin turbo diesel.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    It will be interesting in how the suicide door theme plays out. I haven't seen a true suicide door car since the 1969 Lincoln Continental that my parents owned.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    Okay I'll bite... How do you know?
    If my car sits for more than 16 hours it will be dead. There is always something pulling power off the battery. We've no less than three different companies come and install their products into the cars. On top of that our own IT guys have installed electronic triggers to activate the camera (ie pushing the rifle release button, emergency lights ect). So many different people have "fixed" things that there is no telling what the hell is draining the battery. I have an 07 CV with 33K miles and I have gone through six batteries. Having one company install all the components means one company is standing behind the work. One company is more likely to have a standard install proceedure to avoid gremlins like what we deal with. We had the battery disconnect switches till one of them caused a fire.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information