Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Dallas Police Officer Who Hit Boy Was Driving 67 MPH At Time

This is going to boost a few lawyers' income for a while...

http://cbs11tv.com/local/deadly.bike....2.844843.html

Compiled from staff reports

DALLAS (CBS 11 News) ― A Dallas family is saying goodbye to a 10 year old boy who was accidentally struck and killed by a Dallas Police officer.

Cole Berardi was struck and killed while riding his bike on a stretch of Beltline Road around 7:30 Friday evening.

"He was so important to us and we love him so much," said his aunt, Eva Havens.

The family wonders if the poor road conditions were a factor. "There are curves and hills," said Havens, "and you can't see until you're right on it."

There is no sidewalk along the street. And the street lights were not working that night, although Oncor Electric Delivery crews repaired them today.

Monday afternoon Dallas Police confirmed that the officer who struck Cole, Senior Corporal Michael Vaughn, was driving 67 miles per hour at the time of the crash. The speed limit at that point is 40. Police say Vaughn was on his way to assist another officer with a call. But the lights and sirens on his car were not active when he hit Cole.

Today, Cole's family and friends visited the growing roadside memorial to him. Justen Solis was in Cole's class at school and says he will miss him. "He was my friend," Justen said. "He was a good student and liked to draw."

Tonight a candlelight vigil will be held for Cole Berardi

Police And Family React To Fatal Bicycle Accident

DALLAS (CBS 11 News) ― Ten year old Cole Berardi was about halfway between his home and a gas station where he liked to hang out when he was clipped by a police car Friday night.

Family members say he was an honor roll student at Kleburg Elementary in Dallas. They say he had a passion for taking things apart and cobbling them back together his way, especially his bikes.

"He really didn't care about the way it looked, but it worked just fine. That's my son. That's who I love. That's who'll be with me" said Cole's Stepfather Brett Inman.

At dusk last night Cole reportedly pulled his bike in front of a Dallas Police patrol car. Officers say Senior Cpl. Michael Vaughn was running from one disturbance call to provide backup for another one. He was not running with lights and sirens. Another squad car was following Vaughn. Both officers attempted CPR on Cole at the scene, but he died at Baylor University Medical Center.

The accident happened around 7:30 Friday evening, and witnesses disagree on exactly how dark it was. But, Cole was hit on a curve of a four lane stretch South Beltline Road that has no sidewalks and poor street lighting.

Dallas Police have sent the family their condolences. "It's a 10-year-old kid, it's a loss of life that can't be replaced, and to the parents in this situation all we can do is send our condolences to them, we're all extremely sorry" said police spokesman Lt. Vernon Hale.

Cole's family says their hearts go out to the officers as well. Pastor Ron Ward spoke on the family's behalf. "It was a tragic accident and we wish we could play the time back but we can't… We're just still walking in grief and we'd appreciate, again, the prayers of the community."

A memorial fund for Cole has been set up at Grand Bank of Texas in Dallas.

Funeral Services have been set for Tuesday afternoon at New Hope Funeral Home. Visitation will be Monday night.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I feel bad for all involved in this tragic fatality. Maybe now, Dallas will install sidewalks and keep the street lights in proper operation. It's sad that it had to result in a death to get something done.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    At least it doesn't sound like the family is blaming the officer, whom I am sure is just about as torn up about this as the kid's family.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    What a tragedy. My heart goes out to the young boys family, and to the Officer that was involved. As someone who was driving in a fatal accident, I can personally attest to the guilt that he'll feel for the rest of his life. My prayers are with all involved.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That is very sad, very tragic for all involved.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Sounds like a typical Code 2 response, so he wouldn't have used lights and siren. The officer is going to have to live with killing that boy for the rest of his life. My heart goes out to him and the boy's family.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    At least it doesn't sound like the family is blaming the officer, whom I am sure is just about as torn up about this as the kid's family.
    You KNOW he is. I can't imagine how hard it would be to live with something like that, whether it was his fault or not.

(\__/)

The DPD released the dashcam video:

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/...Y&pageId=1.1.1

(\__/)

Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    Sounds like a typical Code 2 response, so he wouldn't have used lights and siren. The officer is going to have to live with killing that boy for the rest of his life. My heart goes out to him and the boy's family.
    +1

OK after looking at the dash cam footage I have a few observations. Why would you let your 10 year old ride a bike on that DARK, CURVY and BUSY roadway????? Yeah there were no sidewalks but why did he have to ride his bike there? Where were the parents?

That Officer will have this on his conscious for the rest of his life. A true tragedy all the way around.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I don't think I can bring myself to watch the video.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I don't think I can bring myself to watch the video.
    I wish that I hadn't watched it, it was difficult seeing the child being hit and also seeing the officer's reaction at the very end of the clip.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Darin View Post
    +1

OK after looking at the dash cam footage I have a few observations. Why would you let your 10 year old ride a bike on that DARK, CURVY and BUSY roadway????? Yeah there were no sidewalks but why did he have to ride his bike there? Where were the parents?

That Officer will have this on his conscious for the rest of his life. A true tragedy all the way around.
    +1 The officer appeared quite shaken but still attended to his duty to try and save the boy. I hope he takes advantage of the counseling that was offered, and is still able to keep his job.

Children at that age, in general, still have no concept of time and lack the responsibility to be out on the streets after dark. Like Darin said above, Where were the parents? Certainly not attending to their child. A tragedy for all.

Also, Why was the child riding down the middle of the street or crossing it in that location? The officer had essentially no time to react to avoid hitting the child. Bicyclists are hard enough to see as it is and with the time frame being after dusk and the bicycle not having proper lighting on it only compounds the situation.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Thread Information