I cut some bits out of the article for length so if it reads strange that's on me. Thought we could all use a lighthearted story and it's always nice to see an officer getting recognition for something good, even if it's not exactly job related.

Marketwatch Link

Tim Galvin, a retired New York City policeman who was known along his beat simply as "The 'Stache," was voted the 2008 winner of the American Mustache Institute's "Robert Goulet Memorial Mustached American of the Year," sponsored by Just For Men(R) Haircolor. The award recognizes the most impactful Mustached American of the past year.

Galvin was honored Saturday, Oct. 25, in St. Louis at 'Stache Bash 2008, the American Mustache Institute's (AMI) annual benefit for Challenger Baseball, a baseball league for children and adults with developmental disabilities.

"I accept this honor for Mustached Americans everywhere," he told an overflow crowd of nearly 1,000. "After 34 years of proudly wearing a mustache, I am humbled to be recognized by an organization that values and honors it."

"We've heard a lot of talk about 'Main Street' during this presidential election season, and Tim's victory is a tribute to the everyday Mustached American -- a breed of men and women who serve as this nation's backbone," said Dr. Aaron Perlut, AMI's chairman and outgoing executive director."As acceptance of furry upper lips increases, our organization is growing in numbers, strength, good looks, average weight and IQ.

"It is especially fitting that the award was won by a member of the law enforcement community, a profession that has understood the power of the mustache through the lean years when growing and maintaining one was looked down upon by the clean-shaven under-belly of society."

Who is Tim Galvin?

Typical of loyal Mustached Americans, Galvin is a soft-spoken man -- yet tough -- who has let his deeds and mustache do his talking. In the nomination application for the "Goulet" award, his son Michael described his father's mustache as "respect-demanding."

Galvin was a New York City policeman for more than 20 years, receiving three medals of valor and retiring as a captain after being shot twice -- in the face and leg -- while working undercover. As a patrolman, he was limited to having a "chevron" mustache, but when he became a plain clothes officer, he was able grow a large "horseshoe" mustache to fit in on the streets, creating a persona with informants throughout the city.

"Clearly, a man who's been shot twice is confident enough about his looks that he doesn't have time for fashion niceties like whether his belt matches his socks," added AMI's Perlut. "Like the clean-shaven metrosexual populous, a man like Tim doesn't sit around pondering whether his mustache is in fashion this season -- it's always mustache season to Tim."