Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Small Earthquakes hit Dallas Area, Generate 911 Calls

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Ear...rth_Texas.html

Earthquake Aftershocks Shake North Texas

Police receive dozens of calls about the latest quake.

By Greg Janda
    Updated 1:42 PM CDT, Sat, Nov 1, 2008
    18 Comments Post a Comment

Poll

Watch Video

Two almost simultaneous earthquakes were detected in northern Grand Prairie and northern Irving just before 7 a.m. Saturday.

E-mails from viewers have said they felt tremors around 6:55 am.

The Grand Prairie quake measured 2.5 magnitude, while the Irving quake came in at 2.7, according to the U.S. Geological Survey Web site.

The ground shook in the same general areas as on Friday, when tremors of 2.5 magnitude set off car alarms. Most of the Dallas area didn't feel the shocks, but they caused 911 switchboards to light up with calls from the quakes' immediate vicinity.

Euless Police dispatchers say they've recieved over 50 calls so far from people in that city that felt the latest quake. The 911 operators said no damage was reported.
    Geophysicist John Bellini of the National Earthquake Information Center in Golden, Colo., said the quakes are too small to be attributed to a specific geological fault or formation. He said the quakes could continue for days or up to three weeks.

The USGS says they've monitored at least 6 aftershocks from the Oct. 31st earthquake.

RESOURCES:
    11/1/08 Quake:
    USGS North Texas Earthquake Information
    6:54 a.m. Quake Information from USGS
    10/31/08 Quake:
    11:25 p.m. Quake Information from USGS
    12:01 a.m. Quake Information from USGS
    Texas Earthquake History

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    PFFT! You call that an earthquake? I guess it would seem so for those who had never felt one before. With all due respect, for those that really want to experience an earthquake should come and live in CA, preferably next to the San Andreas fault line. It could be tomorrow or in ten years but we get some real strong ones from time to time.

Los Angeles has quite a bit of earthquake activity, maybe this is a sign that they may slide off into the Pacific Ocean Taking all the liberals with it. Conservatives should be spared because they have taken precautions, I hope.

Just a little joking here, but I am sick and tired of the population centers in this state voting the Democratic party in all the time. It gives the state a reputation.

I have no more experience with dealing with tornadoes and hurricanes than those living in other states have dealing with earthquakes. Its just a different type of natural disaster I suppose.

This is from the news site that was quoted above. Rumor has it that there were Seismic Vibrator Trucks in the area. Natural Gas Explosions? Read the comments below the story.

The drilling may not help, but drilling or no drilling, you will have earthquakes. It is called plate movement folks, and has been happening for thousands of years. Sooner or later we will have a major quake in the DFW area. It may be hundreds of years from now, or it may be tomorrow. Live with it like they do in California.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I was actually in one of your LA earthquakes - I was unloading the trunk of my car at the hotel when it hit. It felt like I was standing in a boat for about 10 seconds, just gently rocking back & forth - Pffft

75% of the peope responding to the poll say they didn't even feel it, so I tend to agree the news media made a big too-do out of it.
    Some people interviewed on the TV news equated the feeling to a big truck passing by on the street

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Yes we all know how the media works, shock and awe to the masses. Whatever they can get for a story.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    Pffttt -- a 2.5?? Are you kidding me? Here's some tectonic reading for ya -- http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/quakes0.htm
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

Thread Information