Welcome to the APBWeb.
    OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO

Shooter Said He Feared Trick-Or-Treaters Were Robbers

Police: Shooter Said He Feared Trick-Or-Treaters Were Robbers
    By MEG KINNARD | Associated Press
    November 2, 2008
    SUMTER, S.C. - Freddie Grinnell wanted his children to do some old-fashioned trick-or-treating. After taking the family to a Halloween gathering, he drove to a neighborhood in this small city and shepherded his three eldest to a modest red house across the street from a graveyard.

The porch light was on. But police say the real nightmare was lurking inside.

After hearing the knock on his door, authorities say, a convicted felon fearing a robbery opened fire with an assault rifle from inside the house. At least 29 shots smashed through the front door and window frame, killing 12-year-old T.J. Darrisaw and wounding Grinnell and another son.

"This is by far one of the worst tragedies that I have had to personally experience," police Chief Patty Patterson said Saturday. "It happened basically because kids were out doing what they would normally do on Halloween."

Police said 22-year-old Quentin Patrick, a felon with multiple drug convictions, told them he feared the masked visitors were coming to rob him. Two of the boys, including the one who was killed, were wearing ghoulish masks as their Halloween disguises.

Patrick has been charged with murder, three counts of assault and battery with intent to kill, and one count of assault with intent to kill.

Police said they also charged a 19-year-old in his home, Ericka Patrice Pee, with obstruction of justice when she was caught trying to run away after the shooting with $7,500 in cash. Patterson did not give an explanation for the money.

Pee's 2-year-old daughter was inside during the shooting and is now being cared for by family members.

Patterson said Patrick had multiple drug convictions, but police do not believe he was under the influence of drugs or alcohol during the shooting. Authorities did not know if Patrick or Pee had attorneys. Both are being held without bail.

Grinnell and 9-year-old son Ahmadre Darrisaw were treated for multiple gunshot wounds and released, police said. Nobody answered the door at the family's home in Sumter on Saturday afternoon.

A man who identified himself as Patrick's brother but declined to give his name said he believed Patrick was suffering from post-traumatic stress after being shot during a robbery last December. The man's account matched the information police provided.

"We want to let his family know that this is a total tragic accident," the man said.

Sumter is a city of about 40,000 people some 45 miles east of Columbia.

http://www.courant.com/shopping/hc-h...,2526361.story

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    After hearing the knock on his door, authorities say, a convicted felon... opened fire with an assault rifle
    All I needed to hear. Fry him.

Patrick has been charged with murder, three counts of assault and battery with intent to kill, and one count of assault with intent to kill.
    No "Felon in possession of firearms" charges? Or are they waiting on an ATF "Exile" to go fed, I wonder.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    A convicted felon with multiple drug convictions. We give people too many chances. May the child TJ Darrisaw RIP
    Arm the sheep!

Big Sexy is offline Not your mothers BIG SEXY
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca View Post
    A man who identified himself as Patrick's brother but declined to give his name said he believed Patrick was suffering from post-traumatic stress after being shot during a robbery last December.
    As someone who's been shot at several times in his lifetime, to include having been shot as well. BIG SEXY has yet to confuse trick or treaters, costume party attendees, 12 year olds, any pre-adolescents or anyone approaching BIG with bags, partial costumes on Halloween night; as robbers of any sort.
    Don't Be Afraid To Fail.

No Tengas Miedo Al Fracaso.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Has this felon in possession of a firearm every busted a cap at his own shadow. People involved in (but not limited to those under the influence) of the drug trade are some of the most paranoid people I have ever experienced.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO
    He better fry......

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Dipshit had to be high, but thats no excuse

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    What a shithead.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Thread Information